BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the driveshaft because I saw cracks in the front rubber joint (donut). So I also decided to replace the rear CV joint and the center support bearing while I was at it.

Once I had the shaft split, I noticed that the center U-Joint feels slightly lumpy. On closer inspection, I don't see any removable clips. Instead, the U-joint posts seem permanently peened in. If I did manage to remove it, there is no groove for securing it with a clip later. What the heck? I've never seen such a thing before. Is this a non servicable part? I can't believe the factory would expect people to replace the whole driveshaft just to fix a sloppy U-joint.

Anyone out there have experience with this? It doesn't really need replacing (yet) but once I have something apart, I hate to reinstall so-so parts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Speeder said:
I dropped the driveshaft because I saw cracks in the front rubber joint (donut). So I also decided to replace the rear CV joint and the center support bearing while I was at it.

Once I had the shaft split, I noticed that the center U-Joint feels slightly lumpy. On closer inspection, I don't see any removable clips. Instead, the U-joint posts seem permanently peened in. If I did manage to remove it, there is no groove for securing it with a clip later. What the heck? I've never seen such a thing before. Is this a non servicable part? I can't believe the factory would expect people to replace the whole driveshaft just to fix a sloppy U-joint.

Anyone out there have experience with this? It doesn't really need replacing (yet) but once I have something apart, I hate to reinstall so-so parts.

Speeder,

Hope this helps, some of the older American cars replaced the snap rings with some type of liquid chemical (chemical was actually inserted into a small hole until it flowed out from all sides of the part, after insertion the chemical/glue dried to a very hard plastic and this became the locking mechanism for the u-joints (it replaced the snap rings.) The only way to remove internal solid plastic locking chemical is too heat the part with a torch and watch the chemical flow out, once it flows out you can disassemble the component.
There is a chance that BMW used the same locking feature for the U-joints.

Garcia

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it were so Garcia but detents are hammered into the yoke that trap in the u-joint bearings in several places. I suppose it's possible to grind them away and then use the glue trick to secure the replacements. Problem is, if they didn't intend for people to replace them, then it's probably impossible to buy the parts.

It's just weird that they can't be serviced. Replacing a U-joint is common cheap routine maintenance. I bet the dealerships would charge $600 to replace that entire section of the driveshaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts