BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a bit early for most folk but my previous experiences of the SportContactII's is that though they are fine in the dry, they leave a little to be desired in the wet. Anyone with any experience of different shoes as yet?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I put Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires on my E39 and love them. They work well in both wet and dry conditions and seem to run quieter than other brands I've tried. I'm hoping they will make the correct size to put them on my E60 when they need new rubber.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I put Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires on my E39 and love them. They work well in both wet and dry conditions and seem to run quieter than other brands I've tried. I'm hoping they will make the correct size to put them on my E60 when they need new rubber.
I have S0-3's on my E39 on 18's and they are VERY noisy. They are excellent in the dry and wet though. There shouldn't be a problem finding sizes for the E60 M5.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I'd be interested to know:

(i) What's the second brand & model of tyre BMW are using on the E60 M5?

(ii) What effect fitting M6 specific Pirelli PZeros would have?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I'd be interested to know:

(i) What's the second brand & model of tyre BMW are using on the E60 M5?

(ii) What effect fitting M6 specific Pirelli PZeros would have?

:rolleyes:

Well according to the July list of BMW approved tires for the E60 M5 only the Sport Contact 2 is approved, so there is no second brand yet

Also how will the pirellis handle on a wet road ? They may only be any good on a track

·
Registered
75 Posts
I switched my stock 18's pilot sports to 19' SO-3's on my e46 m3 the ride and handling was great. 245/40/19 and 275/35/19. I had so2 on my c5 corvette and they did not grip as well as the pilots or So-3's. cant say much for in the wet because we dont get much rain in San Diego Ca.

chris.bailey said:
I know its a bit early for most folk but my previous experiences of the SportContactII's is that though they are fine in the dry, they leave a little to be desired in the wet. Anyone with any experience of different shoes as yet?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
SuperBMW said:
They may only be any good on a track
I think they're meant to be for regular use since BMW fit them on road going M6's without any warnings (unlike the Michelin Cups on the M3CSL which were not a good idea on a wet road).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I think they're meant to be for regular use since BMW fit them on road going M6's without any warnings (unlike the Michelin Cups on the M3CSL which were not a good idea on a wet road).
But they arnt putting them on the M6 yet, are they ?

Only one I have seen with them on was the one press car.

I was told they will be optional because they are made mostly for track driving

Any link to a official word on them ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Pirelli Corsa is an R-compound tire (comparable to the CSL's Michelin Pilot Sport Cups). As such, don't expect it coming on any M6 in the US...You could, of course, buy in that size later though. For those of you who are unfamiliar, R-compound tires are intended for track use but are DOT legal (i.e. they have some minimal grooves for water evacuation). The rubber compound is designed for grip, not long life. Anyway, I'd say forget about these tires unless you'll be tracking the car...

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Pirelli Corsa is an R-compound tire (comparable to the CSL's Michelin Pilot Sport Cups). As such, don't expect it coming on any M6 in the US...You could, of course, buy in that size later though. For those of you who are unfamiliar, R-compound tires are intended for track use but are DOT legal (i.e. they have some minimal grooves for water evacuation). The rubber compound is designed for grip, not long life. Anyway, I'd say forget about these tires unless you'll be tracking the car...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mcvaughan said:
I have S0-3's on my E39 on 18's and they are VERY noisy. They are excellent in the dry and wet though. There shouldn't be a problem finding sizes for the E60 M5.
SO-3's were what I was thinking of having had them on a 540 a while back. I did find though that they tend to wear the shoulders off long before the tread gets down. Better in the wet than the Conti's though.

I'm not a big fan of Pilot Sports. They wear well but loose a lot of grip once they start to wear a bit, expecially in the wet. Big tendency to aquaplane with wide tyres on standing water.

Not sure PZeros would work too well on an M5, might be a tad too soft. Would probably have bags of grip in the dry though. Mind you the Conti's are not lacking in that department.

Spoke to my dealer and ContiII's are the only tyre currently being fitted to M5's and the only tyre BMW are recommending as a replacement.

·
Registered
321 Posts
M3Racer said:
The Pirelli Corsa is an R-compound tire (comparable to the CSL's Michelin Pilot Sport Cups)...
I think you'll find that the M6 tyres will the the Corsa System tyre, which is not the same as the R-compound Corsa. The Corsa System has a lot more tread than the CSL's PSCII. It's the tyre that's on cars like the Gallardo.

·
Registered
540 Posts
chris.bailey said:
SO-3's were what I was thinking of having had them on a 540 a while back. I did find though that they tend to wear the shoulders off long before the tread gets down. Better in the wet than the Conti's though.

I'm not a big fan of Pilot Sports. They wear well but loose a lot of grip once they start to wear a bit, expecially in the wet. Big tendency to aquaplane with wide tyres on standing water.

Not sure PZeros would work too well on an M5, might be a tad too soft. Would probably have bags of grip in the dry though. Mind you the Conti's are not lacking in that department.

Spoke to my dealer and ContiII's are the only tyre currently being fitted to M5's and the only tyre BMW are recommending as a replacement.
Remember this size Sport Contact 2 was reformulated for the M5

For a while you could buy both the original formula and the M5 approved one, but now it seems only the M5 approved one is available in that size

So dont compare them with other Sport Contact 2's, they are different in compound

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.