BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires because current Goodyear eagle F1 spinning non stop until 60-70MPH
its useless power below 60MPH
I was reading a lot and MICHELIN PS4S and toyo R888R proxes seems best
I know toyo are almost drag tyres and could be problem in wet weather but I live in country where is very little rain half year not raining and winter only sometimes. Cyprus :)
so I dont care much about wet weather.
other question if I give full throttle from start on good dry asphalt then car still will spinning? With Michelin tires? And how about Toyo R888R these should be even better but I read these are noisy
I just want solid traction from 0-60MPH if Michelin can handle my 720horses then it would be obvious choice.

if there is M5 owner with modded engine and such michelin tyres would be great.

I just dont want see this yellow traction control light blinking when I floor down from start :grin

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think you answered your own question, the Toyo seem a good fit for your climate. I am not familiar with the Toyos but if its just grip you are after in the dry, then you should get them, but I hear they can be noisy also - and they dont last as long as the Michelins....again ok - if you can live with that.

Make sure its the R888R's you get as they are the newer tire.....I still think traction will be difficult in 1st gear unless you have Torque limiting in your tuning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What mods do you have? I have a Dinan Stg 1 tune (one of the weaker tunes) and AFE panel filters and w/ the Mich PS4's I still spin a bit, especially in cooler weather or when the tires aren't warmed up. I would think R888r's might be a little better, but at the expense of durability (they will wear faster) and noise, and maybe even cornering, although that might not be a concern of yours. MPS4's will definitely be better than Goodyear eagle F1 in warmer weather. Keep in mind that heat is what makes tires grip and the more aggressive tires need more heat to grip better. Those R888r's will need a lot of heat to grip well.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Toyo’s are good, but I hear they are noisy.

You may be familiar with this, but this is how I typically break it down.

300 thread wear is usually all season tire in warm weather states like SoCal.

if you want more plastic and less rubber, you want to go up from 300.

Same applies in reverse. More rubber, less plastic is when you wanna go down from this number.

Example: Michelin PS4 is a 300 tire. This is a ok tire for up to 400 bhp (my opinion) I believe these come standard on the m5.

Michelin Pilot Cup run flats are <200 and come standard on HyperCars. Have a range of max 5000 miles.

Pirelli Corsa series are low 100’s and come on cars like Ferrari 458 and Lambo Hurrican. Don’t expect a lot of miles out of these. I am gonna put these on my e39 during the next rotation.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Regardless of brand, get the widest rear tires you can fit. Stock F10 wheels can typically take 305’s in the rear.
Should also note that mpg goes bye bye + additional unsprung mass/rotational weight added due to weight of the tire, but who cares right. Car will look bad a**

1 - 8 of 8 Posts