BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Farrell, I dont know if you have a COSTCO near you, but our local branch stocks a comprehensive Michelin range, might be worth checking out. I went down the s03 route, all 4 supplied and fitted for around £480.

cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
678 Posts
farrell said:
Ok chaps
I need your view on where the best prices are for set of rear 255/40/17
Pilot Sport please.

I am struggling to get reasonable quotes so any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Farrell
Farrell,

It's a bit of a run for me, (and you), but I buy all my tyres from Micheldever Tyres, nr Andover, Hants.

Main Reasons in my experience for giving them loads of my hard-earned £££ to shod all my cars / bike / van are :-

1). They are consistently the cheapest everytime I do a comparison when I need new tyres
2). They are very sympathetic and take good care of large alloys - never damaging them in my experience. (Ever cringed when you see the spotty-faced 17-year-old at quick fit taking hold of your immaculate alloys ?!)
3). They usually have the larger and less-common sizes in stock. (18", 19"...) - and if not, get them in usually within a few days.

They'll quote you all-inclusively over the phone 01962 774437.

I have no association with these guys - just my experiences.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I was quoted £230 each for 265/40/17 in Pilot Sports. I wanted that size instead of 255.

I went with Pirelli P-Zero for £180-190 each.

M5s are heavy, powerful cars that cost in the order of £40-50k new. It`s good to see you are after good tyres, the performance is terrible on poor tyres like Avon ZZR1 and most Continentals and or other "budget" tyres.

Heard good reports on those Kumho (spelling?), but would only use Pirelli (P-Zero), Michelin (Pilot Cup Sport, heard teriffic in dry, watch out on the edge in the wet!) and Bridgestone (SO2, So3 and the new one) on mine.

Ivan.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IvanDias said:
I was quoted £230 each for 265/40/17 in Pilot Sports. I wanted that size instead of 255.

I went with Pirelli P-Zero for £180-190 each.

M5s are heavy, powerful cars that cost in the order of £40-50k new. It`s good to see you are after good tyres, the performance is terrible on poor tyres like Avon ZZR1 and most Continentals and or other "budget" tyres.

Heard good reports on those Kumho (spelling?), but would only use Pirelli (P-Zero), Michelin (Pilot Cup Sport, heard teriffic in dry, watch out on the edge in the wet!) and Bridgestone (SO2, So3 and the new one) on mine.

Ivan.

Cheers Ivan
I agree with your view on quality tyres for performance vehicles. Its not so much the dry weather grip as even cheaper tyres can be ok in the dry, its really the wet weather ability I think shows up the more budget type tyres.
They lack progression & become snatchy.
Ive alway fitted Pilots to my M5 & as its an all yr round car, I cant risk the cheap tyre option that may be ok for a M5 used only for high days & dry days.
I also accept that there may be stiffer & stickier tyres out there from other manufacturers but I know where I am with Michelins on my M5.

Thanks to all of you for your help & opinions. You're a good bunch.

Andy E wins 1st prize of a set of knackered Pilot sports for his tip which was the cheapest apart from Costco which I will check tomorrow.

Seriously though Andy, there is 2mm left on my rears, which is more tread than you are used to having on your LE... :1: LOL

Take care
Farrell

·
Registered
47 Posts
Farrell,

I just used Black Circles to fit new F1 rears. They were the cheapest quote by a long way on those and had them available next day. Nobody else could even get them in for 5 days.

They're just the internet arm of STS. STS fit the tyres but the price is considerably lower than going direct. Doesn't make sense to me!!

www.blackcircles.com

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
WEMBLEY TYRES in NW10 London 020 8459 6191

They fitted 245/40/18 bridgestone SO2`s for 120 ea + VAT and i find them cheaper with other tyres. Always has good stock and even had a chat with Les Ferdinand last time i was there (in his black SL55)just had 4 tyres fitted.

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

My first post in this incredible forum. Its great !!!

Have you consider crossing the channel into Belgium or France?
I bought 2 BF Goodrich Profiler 255 40 17 for Eur 211 in Paris, before importing the car to Argentina. They should be even cheaper in Belgium I guess.
Does it make any sense? :confused2
Regards

Sebas
M5 Touring Daytona Violet
(The only one in Argentina)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Farrel

Just a cautionary word on Johnson Tyres. I got mine there last time and they were the cheapest quote for sure. On delivery one of the tyres had a sidewall repair in it although the tyre was new. Obviously some installation damage at some time. It was sorted out amicably enough but was a Pain in the A*** and time consuming and who would deliver a tyre in that condition anyhow.
Fit only for scrap IMO.
:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian M5 said:
Farrel

Just a cautionary word on Johnson Tyres. I got mine there last time and they were the cheapest quote for sure. On delivery one of the tyres had a sidewall repair in it although the tyre was new. Obviously some installation damage at some time. It was sorted out amicably enough but was a Pain in the A*** and time consuming and who would deliver a tyre in that condition anyhow.
Fit only for scrap IMO.
:cheers:
Thanks Brian
I will bear that in mind. Im not done exhausting other routes for sourcing tyres yet but Johnsons are definately the cheapest apart from costco but they do not have any rears at the moment nr me.
Im not desparate for the tyres yet so something may turn up before the retail route is my only option left.

Cheers
Farrell

·
Registered
236 Posts
Further to IvanDias's comments, I have shod my car with Avons front (ZZ1) and rear (ZZ3) and have had some play with the backend on wet smallish roundabouts but without being able to do a quick change of tyres with some other brand, it is hard to comment on their performance.

Perhaps it is just me being a tightarse and blinkered but I thought Avon was a good name in racing tyres?? :eek:h:

Pip
Ps I was also going to try them on my E39!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Pip said:
Further to IvanDias's comments, I have shod my car with Avons front (ZZ1) and rear (ZZ3) and have had some play with the backend on wet smallish roundabouts but without being able to do a quick change of tyres with some other brand, it is hard to comment on their performance.

Perhaps it is just me being a tightarse and blinkered but I thought Avon was a good name in racing tyres?? :eek:h:

Pip
Ps I was also going to try them on my E39!
They are a good name, and that's why people put out their money for their car tyres and then are completely underimpressed with them.

Their racing and motorbike tyres are still up there though!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't know the availability in the UK but Kumho MX is an awsome tire. A lot of guys are running them in the US. I've had them on my car for over a year...great tire. Sticky in the dry (220) and very good wet performance. And Cheap!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Micheldever Tyres were saying good things about Kumho after a rubber recipe change two or three years back.
I fitted a full set 235 / 45 17 fronts and 255 / 40 17 rears but did not get too far on them before being taken out by a fiesta.

I think that is them poking out the front of this pic.
cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.