BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what your opinions were on tyres?

I need new tyres all round on my 91 M5, and can get a set of TOYO Proxes T1-R for just under £400, but considering going up to Good Year Eagle F1's which come in a shade under £500 - any opinions on these?

I'm limited in selection due to the 265 width on the rear wheels, and really I want a matching set of 4, which leaves me Toyo, Yokohama, and Good Year to chose from really. I think Pirelli & Michelin are also available but a bit too rich for my blood (as I'm about to pay for a new clutch & book in to the bodyshop for some work as well).

Any opinions would be good, as I've never had any Toyo tyres, although they are suppossed to be good performers, and are a "premium brand".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
illjah said:
Just wondering what your opinions were on tyres?

I need new tyres all round on my 91 M5, and can get a set of TOYO Proxes T1-R for just under £400, but considering going up to Good Year Eagle F1's which come in a shade under £500 - any opinions on these?

I'm limited in selection due to the 265 width on the rear wheels, and really I want a matching set of 4, which leaves me Toyo, Yokohama, and Good Year to chose from really. I think Pirelli & Michelin are also available but a bit too rich for my blood (as I'm about to pay for a new clutch & book in to the bodyshop for some work as well).

Any opinions would be good, as I've never had any Toyo tyres, although they are suppossed to be good performers, and are a "premium brand".

From what I have read on the Yahoo site and other places, the T1-R's are very good. Probably just as good as the F1's. I will most probably get them for my Touring rather than the Pilot Sport 2's. Are you running 265 on 9" rear rims? What size do you run at the front?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlexA said:
From what I have read on the Yahoo site and other places, the T1-R's are very good. Probably just as good as the F1's. I will most probably get them for my Touring rather than the Pilot Sport 2's. Are you running 265 on 9" rear rims? What size do you run at the front?
Yes, 265/40/R17 on the rears, and 235/45/R17.

Definitely considering the Toyo's, but it seemed so cheap and I've suffered from crap tyres before, and its just not worth it - I got talked into getting nankang Sports a couple of years back and they were a joke - and that was similar price to these Toyo's!! But I know that the price (£390 delivered, but not fitted, from the internet) on that set of 4 is very cheap - £200 cheaper than the cheapest quote i could find locally....

But somehow I'd feel safer spending the extra £65ish for Yokohama's, or (preferably) £85ish for the Goodyear's...... If cost wasn't such an issue, I'd go with Michelin's as they always seem to be really good in my experience, and last a lot of miles. Someone tell me I'm being a brand snob and tell me to get the Toyo's!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
I've recently bought a second set of throwing star alloys, with 9J rears, they came with Pirrelli P-Zeros on. They are OK in the dry, but any sign of dampness and they are possibly the worst tyre for our cars that I've tried. I got the 9J rears to see how they handled against 8J all round. But with these Pirrellis its been difficult to be objective? Needless to say I am back to my Goodyear F1s on 8Js all round now. These, in my opinion are the best tyres for our cars, mega grip in both wet and dry, inspires massive confidence, and even though I drive hard, I can't think of a time that I have lost grip? Unlike the Pirrellis under the same driving style.

I've also had Dunlop SP9000 on E39 540/M5s, a good tyre slightly more expensive than the F1's, not so good in the wet though.

My local tyre shop 'Bracknell Tyre & Battery' will sell you an F1 (235x45x17) for around £93 fitted. The 245x35x18 tyres are £117 fitted. Haven't explored the 17x9J yet but think it will be circa the £117 mark.





illjah said:
Yes, 265/40/R17 on the rears, and 235/45/R17.

Definitely considering the Toyo's, but it seemed so cheap and I've suffered from crap tyres before, and its just not worth it - I got talked into getting nankang Sports a couple of years back and they were a joke - and that was similar price to these Toyo's!! But I know that the price (£390 delivered, but not fitted, from the internet) on that set of 4 is very cheap - £200 cheaper than the cheapest quote i could find locally....

But somehow I'd feel safer spending the extra £65ish for Yokohama's, or (preferably) £85ish for the Goodyear's...... If cost wasn't such an issue, I'd go with Michelin's as they always seem to be really good in my experience, and last a lot of miles. Someone tell me I'm being a brand snob and tell me to get the Toyo's!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yewcorner said:
I've recently bought a second set of throwing star alloys, with 9J rears, they came with Pirrelli P-Zeros on. They are OK in the dry, but any sign of dampness and they are possibly the worst tyre for our cars that I've tried. I got the 9J rears to see how they handled against 8J all round. But with these Pirrellis its been difficult to be objective? Needless to say I am back to my Goodyear F1s on 8Js all round now. These, in my opinion are the best tyres for our cars, mega grip in both wet and dry, inspires massive confidence, and even though I drive hard, I can't think of a time that I have lost grip? Unlike the Pirrellis under the same driving style.

I've also had Dunlop SP9000 on E39 540/M5s, a good tyre slightly more expensive than the F1's, not so good in the wet though.

My local tyre shop 'Bracknell Tyre & Battery' will sell you an F1 (235x45x17) for around £93 fitted. The 245x35x18 tyres are £117 fitted. Haven't explored the 17x9J yet but think it will be circa the £117 mark.
Wow that is cheap for the 18's! And cheap generally for the good years on 17's as well. The cheapest i can get a set of the F1's for is £466 delivered but not fitted. I even think that is really good, and will probably go with these.

Anyone actually got any firsthand experience of the Toyo Proxes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
245/35z18 is not the correct size for the 18" rims though, it should be 245/40z18 all round unless you go for the staggered set-up with 265/35z18 on the rear.
Don't forget to ensure the load rating on these tyres are suitable for the lardiness of the M5 - I believe it should be 93W/Y or above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
illjah said:
Wow that is cheap for the 18's! And cheap generally for the good years on 17's as well. The cheapest i can get a set of the F1's for is £466 delivered but not fitted. I even think that is really good, and will probably go with these.

Anyone actually got any firsthand experience of the Toyo Proxes?
Tyre choice is a very personal thing but IMHO The Toyos are a very good tyre I had them on another car which although not as heavy as the M5 was a fair weight. I have also had SO2 on an M3 and they were excellent but wore out a little too quickly.

At present have just fitted another set of P-Zero's which I found to be fantastic both wet and dry but this is just another opinion.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simonal said:
Tyre choice is a very personal thing but IMHO The Toyos are a very good tyre I had them on another car which although not as heavy as the M5 was a fair weight. I have also had SO2 on an M3 and they were excellent but wore out a little too quickly.

At present have just fitted another set of P-Zero's which I found to be fantastic both wet and dry but this is just another opinion.....
Haven't been able to get a quote on Pirelli for the 265 width tyre, and wanted a matching set - they were also quiet more expensive than the options above. I think its between the Toyo's and the Goodyears...... probably opt for the goodyears, as i'll be kicking myself if i get the Toyo's and don't rate their grip - particularly in the wet is my concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
My local supplier in Christchurch, Dorset, England.

265/40/17 in :


Michelin Pilot Cup things £199.75

Pirelli P-Zero Asymmetrico £151.23

Bridgestone SO3 £145.70

Falcon something or other £98.70

Kumho £91.65



I`ve had two sets now of Pirelli P-Zero and they are fantastic in the dry, awesome when hot. Wet weather they are predictable and controllable, with medium to good grip. I`ve no idea why yewcorner has such problems in the wet. Strange.

As I`ve said before, I wouldn`t even put Avons round my boat, terrible grip and squeal, the M5`s too heavy for them, and I didn`t like Continental in 255 that came with the car when bought. I don`t like Eagle F1, never tried them, just don`t like the pattern and heard only good reports on light cars.

I just might go for the Bridgstone for a change, but if funds don`t allow, might go for a set of the Kumho and see how fast I can destroy them!

Anyone tried them?
Ivan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
illjah said:
Haven't been able to get a quote on Pirelli for the 265 width tyre, and wanted a matching set - they were also quiet more expensive than the options above. I think its between the Toyo's and the Goodyears...... probably opt for the goodyears, as i'll be kicking myself if i get the Toyo's and don't rate their grip - particularly in the wet is my concern.
For comparison of 265/35z18 tyres (in alphabetical order):
Avon ZZ3 £131.00 (2.1/2.4)
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A £167.50 (1.0/1.3)
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 £163.60 (1.3/2.4)
Bridgestone Potenza S-03PP £? (1.3/1.7)
Continental SportContact 2 £152.10 (1.7/3.0)
Dunlop SP Sport 8080 £155.10 (2.2/3.0)
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 £163.50 (1.6/2.0)
Dunlop SP Sport 9090 £155.10 (1.9/2.2)
Falken FK-451 £130.10 (1.8/2.3)
Fulda Carat Extremo £115.60 (2.2/3.3)
Goodyear F1-GSD3 £154.70 (1.5/1.9)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104 £134.30 (1.4/2.0)
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 £197.70 (1.8/2.9)
Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico £174.50 (1.5/2.6)
Pirelli P-Zero Nero £163.80 (?)
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso £175.20 (?)
Pneumant PN950 Tritec £121.20 (1.8/2.3)
Toyo Proxes T1-R £144.00 (?)
Uniroyal RainSport £141.40 (1.8/1.5)
Vredestein Ultrac £145.30 (1.5/2.2)
Yokohama AVS-Sports £164.70 (2.4/3.6)
If wet weather grip really is your main concern then the number in parentheses is for the dry/wet grip from German tyre test site Reifentest where 1=best, 6=worst.

Note that this rating is made up from hundreds of different user reports and is therefore highly subjective, but with enough reports you shoul get a fair average.

Check the number of reports and the mileage covered, if there are less than 3 reports and/or 50,000km then there is not enough results to make a good comparison.

All prices from MyTyres
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
I think it must be driving styles. The P-Zeros just let go in the wet, where as I haven't yet managed to get the F1s (235s) to do this yet.

I lost all confidence at speed in the wet, it maybe because they were slightly wider (255s), therefore increasing the understeer. I'll try fitting F1s and have a more subjective view from there.


IvanDias said:
My local supplier in Christchurch, Dorset, England.

265/40/17 in :


Michelin Pilot Cup things £199.75

Pirelli P-Zero Asymmetrico £151.23

Bridgestone SO3 £145.70

Falcon something or other £98.70

Kumho £91.65



I`ve had two sets now of Pirelli P-Zero and they are fantastic in the dry, awesome when hot. Wet weather they are predictable and controllable, with medium to good grip. I`ve no idea why yewcorner has such problems in the wet. Strange.

As I`ve said before, I wouldn`t even put Avons round my boat, terrible grip and squeal, the M5`s too heavy for them, and I didn`t like Continental in 255 that came with the car when bought. I don`t like Eagle F1, never tried them, just don`t like the pattern and heard only good reports on light cars.

I just might go for the Bridgstone for a change, but if funds don`t allow, might go for a set of the Kumho and see how fast I can destroy them!

Anyone tried them?
Ivan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Another thing to note with Pirelli is that the P-Zero is according to the blurb a "tyre system" and not just a single tyre. Hence the Asymmetrico, Rosso, Nero and others.

IIRC you`re supposed to have the Rosso up front to cut thru the water, then the funny-yellow-symbol Asymmetricos at the rear for grip and power. I reckon it`s marketing speak in a world gone mad, but the tyres work for me.

I reckon I`m going to commit heresy and stick a set of Kumhos on for 10,000 miles. I`m very poor at the moment, so 2for1 pricing compared to premium brands hopefully doesn`t equate to 1/2 the grip.

I will report back in a few days once I`ve had them fitted and done 100miles to get the oil out!



Ivan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IvanDias said:
I reckon I`m going to commit heresy and stick a set of Kumhos on for 10,000 miles. I`m very poor at the moment, so 2for1 pricing compared to premium brands hopefully doesn`t equate to 1/2 the grip.

I will report back in a few days once I`ve had them fitted and done 100miles to get the oil out!
Ivan.
eeeek!!!

i don't think you should do that for the money quoted above - the price i got from www.mytyres.co.uk for the Toyo's is the same for 4 of those Kumho's at £91 each, and that's for 235/45/R17 fronts, and 265/40/R17 rears.

And I know where my money would go!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
The guys where I get my tyres from sell a lot of the Kumho's which the put on the e39 M5s? But they recommend the F1s over all others, only down side is they don't last as long; but this is the trade off of course.

Just been out to the off licence and the P-Zero Rossos are struggling to keep grip, they break away quite nicely but need the LSD to help. Just haven't had this experience with the F1s or SP9000s?

I think the Toyos are circa £80 from 'Bracknell Tyre and Battery' not sure of your location though?

Let us know how you rate them when fitted.




illjah said:
eeeek!!!

i don't think you should do that for the money quoted above - the price i got from www.mytyres.co.uk for the Toyo's is the same for 4 of those Kumho's at £91 each, and that's for 235/45/R17 fronts, and 265/40/R17 rears.

And I know where my money would go!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yewcorner said:
The guys where I get my tyres from sell a lot of the Kumho's which the put on the e39 M5s? But they recommend the F1s over all others, only down side is they don't last as long; but this is the trade off of course.

Just been out to the off licence and the P-Zero Rossos are struggling to keep grip, they break away quite nicely but need the LSD to help. Just haven't had this experience with the F1s or SP9000s?

I think the Toyos are circa £80 from 'Bracknell Tyre and Battery' not sure of your location though?

Let us know how you rate them when fitted.
Yeah I think Bracknell is a bit far to drive for the saving - does seem they offer VERY good prices, far better than what is on offer in Cambridge.

Still deciding GY F1's, or the Toyo's, I think I'm swaying toward the F1's, unless I find some particularly positive praise for the Toyo's when on an M5 (or similar heavy rear wheel drive motor), because I will be screwing if the Toyo's don't live up to my expectations, which I'm reasonably confident the F1's will. I'd stick with Conti Sport Contact 2's that I got on my 535i, but I can't get rears for the 265 width on a 17". Will let you know, but tyres come behind my current clutch/transmission problems (see other thread for details!!).

Blessings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
illjah said:
Yeah I think Bracknell is a bit far to drive for the saving - does seem they offer VERY good prices, far better than what is on offer in Cambridge.

Still deciding GY F1's, or the Toyo's, I think I'm swaying toward the F1's, unless I find some particularly positive praise for the Toyo's when on an M5 (or similar heavy rear wheel drive motor), because I will be screwing if the Toyo's don't live up to my expectations, which I'm reasonably confident the F1's will. I'd stick with Conti Sport Contact 2's that I got on my 535i, but I can't get rears for the 265 width on a 17". Will let you know, but tyres come behind my current clutch/transmission problems (see other thread for details!!).

im on my second set of f1,s,superb dry grip,excellent wet grip,very progressive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I am running Kuhmo ECSTA MX's on my '94 3.8 liter M5 with staggered throwing stars. I have 245/45/17 fronts and 275/40/17 in the rear with no rubbing issues at all.

Here in the US, I bought them from Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com, there is a lot of great info on the website) for $630 delivered. They're not as good as the Michelins or Bridgestone S03's, but I think they're a great value and the performance is very good. So far based on my experience with them, I would buy them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
flipwils11 said:
I am running Kuhmo ECSTA MX's on my '94 3.8 liter M5 with staggered throwing stars. I have 245/45/17 fronts and 275/40/17 in the rear with no rubbing issues at all.
.
Hi,

I looked at those. 275? Do you have a picture? The shoulders must be narrower than other makes (a common thing), as I`ve measured the tyre to strut clearance on my P-Zero 265 and it`s barely 5mm. This is without any flex under cornering. I didn`t think 275s went on. Have you trued some chalk on the tyre and then a quick few fast corners to see if the chalk comes off on the strut?

Best Regards,

Ivan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Nope, haven't tried that test with the chalk, but I haven't heard or noticed anything amiss. The guy I bought the car from, Scott Epstein, has owned several euro 3.8 E34 M5's and he said he's never had a problem running 275's on the rears.

Here are some assorted photos of the car if you want to look through them. There are several that show details of the rear tire footprint.

http://www.e12m535i.com/E34_M5/images/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
I have not had a problem with my 18" 275/35's at the back, there is no unusual wear on the shoulders, no weird noises etc or smells for that matter.
Am running Bridgestone Pot S03 PP's, and what a tire!

They just sit there and look great!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top