BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time round, my tyre valve covers were stolen - the first time was in France and now in London.
I know they are not costly but why!!! other than they look pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
ManikM5 said:
For the second time round, my tyre valve covers were stolen - the first time was in France and now in London.
I know they are not costly but why!!! other than they look pretty good.
I bought one seet of "M" covers - they were stolen within a week. Ever since I've used the black rubber ones and I've never had one stolen....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
I've been lucky with the caps on my M5, I guess I have them on pretty tight but I have had 4 sets stolen on my X5 since April. I now use the black ones and they actually don't look that bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
I also use black rubber ones - just as good as the fancy metal & M logo ones but won't get stolen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
ManikM5 said:
For the second time round, my tyre valve covers were stolen - the first time was in France and now in London.
I know they are not costly but why!!! other than they look pretty good.
Consider yourself lucky! Your thief (ves) was/were actually intelligent enough to steal the "M" tyre valve covers. Here in Oklahoma, most people have never heard of a "W", so on they stay!!

hiha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Terk said:
I've been lucky with the caps on my M5, I guess I have them on pretty tight but I have had 4 sets stolen on my X5 since April. I now use the black ones and they actually don't look that bad.
Terk,

I thought you were on the "good side" of the river?!! Look on the bright side: at least they didn't steal your valve stems :sad2:

hahaha

Cheers! :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Terk,

I thought you were on the "good side" of the river?!! Look on the bright side: at least they didn't steal your valve stems :sad2:

hahaha

Cheers! :2:
Actually Bill, half of the theft occured on your side of the river :1:

Take Care cherrsagai
Terk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Terk said:
Actually Bill, half of the theft occured on your side of the river :1:

Take Care cherrsagai
Terk.

In that case Terk, you're lucky they left you the wheels!

hiha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
ELEVENS said:
In that case Terk, you're lucky they left you the wheels!

hiha
Boy did I leave my self open for that come back. Funny one Bill. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I bought a set of these afew months ago (considering the M5 doesn't have a spare), handy in that you can instantly tell if your tyre pressure is low before setting off on a (rather high speed) journey, obviously not much use if you've got the onboard tyre pressure monitoring system from bmw though,


They're abit long though (for all you fashion conscious gurus out here) and the lockable nut system leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that it gets the úbermensch school of motoring thumbs up :haha:

www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
If they stole your "M" valve stem caps, they have actually done you a favor. These caps are too heavy and damage your wheels. Take a look at the rim adjacent to where the cap was and I'll bet you find little nicks in it. At higher speeds, the weight of the "M" caps actually causes the stem to bend and come in contact with the rim causing the damage. In addition, there have been reported cracked valve stems because of the constant bending from the excess weight.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
XrayMD said:
If they stole your "M" valve stem caps, they have actually done you a favor. These caps are too heavy and damage your wheels. Take a look at the rim adjacent to where the cap was and I'll bet you find little nicks in it. At higher speeds, the weight of the "M" caps actually causes the stem to bend and come in contact with the rim causing the damage. In addition, there have been reported cracked valve stems because of the constant bending from the excess weight.

:cheers:
Correct. This is why I chose the aluminum valve stems instead of the rubber ones. They look great with the chrome logo stem caps. They do not crack or bend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Digi... where'd you find the aluminum stems?

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
XrayMD said:
If they stole your "M" valve stem caps, they have actually done you a favor. These caps are too heavy and damage your wheels. Take a look at the rim adjacent to where the cap was and I'll bet you find little nicks in it. At higher speeds, the weight of the "M" caps actually causes the stem to bend and come in contact with the rim causing the damage. In addition, there have been reported cracked valve stems because of the constant bending from the excess weight.

:cheers:
Less rotational mass, too :thumbsup:

I have the dents in my wheels from the caps as well...

I had the original metal ones until my tires were changed. The tire shop replaced two of them with plastic. I haven't replaced them yet...but then I really don't care much.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top