BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, can anyone post the load rating specs of the OEM tyres?
The size is 225/40 and 285/35 from the brochures but I need to know the other specs to see if there are any sticky club tyres that matcht he load ratings.
Thanks, Syd

·
Registered
704 Posts
sydl said:
Hi all, can anyone post the load rating specs of the OEM tyres?
The size is 225/40 and 285/35 from the brochures but I need to know the other specs to see if there are any sticky club tyres that matcht he load ratings.
Thanks, Syd
The problem you will have is the 19" size.

The PSC comes in a size that will fit the front but I don't see one wide enough for the back of the car yet.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup

The Corsa has a size for the rear and not the front...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Corsa

My guess is tires will lag a bit behind the car. Don't expect it to be too long as other high end track cars are also going to 19" rims.

·
Registered
943 Posts
sydl said:
It's not the size I'm worried about it's the load rating.

Does anyone know what the Contis' ratings is? Can someone have a look on their M5?

There are no M5´s delivered yet! But 4 weeks from now there will be. :D

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ashok Arora said:
Hi Ashok, Thanks for the link, but I've already seen the Conti site. That has no load rating info either. I don't need the speed rating, it's the load.

On the tyre or on the car, there'll be a plaque that says something like "99" or "88" as a load index. These numbers are critical because it'll determine what other tyres can be put on the car. Of course you can put any tyres of similar size on, but unless they meet the manufacturer's specs the car will be deemed "unroadworthy" by insurance companies. Since I want to track the car I want to know what load rating the tyres are so I can find out what (if any) R compound tyres I can put on the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the details:
Front: 96, 710kg
Rear: 99, 775kg

now it's time to go tyre shopping!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
sydl said:
Of course you can put any tyres of similar size on, but unless they meet the manufacturer's specs the car will be deemed "unroadworthy" by insurance companies. Since I want to track the car I want to know what load rating the tyres are so I can find out what (if any) R compound tyres I can put on the car.
And many insurance companies refuse payment on track cars.. especially if damaged at the track.

One thing to keep in mind about the load rating, that rating includes full occupancy, full fuel tank, and full storage capacity. Items that you generally don't race with.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vndkshn said:
And many insurance companies refuse payment on track cars.. especially if damaged at the track.
I'm not concerned about that. It's the transit to and from the track on sticky tyres that need to be at the correct rating.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Those are not PSCs. I think the worry over the load rating is really being overdone here. The M5/6 isn't heavy enough that I would expect any problems with good track tires. Keep in mind that other track cars that run on roughly the same size tires are not that much lighter. Look at what the Mustangs and Camerro's weight, its not much if any less than the M5 for some of their models.

Now if you plan on tracking with 5 people in the car and a trunk full of stuff....

In any case TireRack has all the information you need. As an example the PSCs PCS specs are reated for ~1200 lbs per tire. The M5 with a resonable load is less than 1000lbs per corner so you should be just fine.

The thing you really want to watch at a track is the temp of the tire and the pressure of the tire. Those will tell you a lot about how hard its working. Also watch for odd wear pattersn and/or melting of the tread.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enigma, I don't know how to explain it more clearly. I am not worried about load ratings when I am on the track. I'm happy to run Hoosiers or PSCs regardless of load rating.

I want to know the load rating so that when I am driving on the way to the track and on the way home that if I happen to have a little accident my insurance company doesn't deny cover because my car is unroadworthy. It will be unroadworthy because it has tyres that do not comform with the manufacturer's specs.

So what tyres are these?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Look like standard Michelin PS2 to me, in e60 M5 sizes.

And I fully understand your liability issue, it's the same reason we use the expensive N-coded tires on a Porsche 996 C2 for trackdays. If you don't have N-coded tires on a Porsche here, insurance pays diddly squat if something happens.

sydl said:
Enigma, I don't know how to explain it more clearly. I am not worried about load ratings when I am on the track. I'm happy to run Hoosiers or PSCs regardless of load rating.

I want to know the load rating so that when I am driving on the way to the track and on the way home that if I happen to have a little accident my insurance company doesn't deny cover because my car is unroadworthy. It will be unroadworthy because it has tyres that do not comform with the manufacturer's specs.

So what tyres are these?

·
Registered
258 Posts
are the conti's we had ready on the car when purchased the same as contisportcontact 2 VMAX or was it without the VMAX wich enables speeds up to 225 mph,or their is no such conti without VMAX..?

The other question is about the PS2's..to what speed are they approved..?

Thanks in advance:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts