BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as you can see the car is now on stands for a couple of weeks while i have the rims refurbed, I do seek your expertise on a tyre matter though,

I was going to replace all 4 tyres with contis but managed to get 2 BRAND NEW dunlop sp sportmaxx gt summer tyres (245/40ZR18) for the front (£100GBP for both so you see why i snapped them up!)so I thought i would just replace the rears with the same tyres, I have looked around and searched on various retailers but it seems that Dunlop do not make the correct size (275/35ZR18) that will fit the rears, the question i have is could i fit 285/35ZR18's on my standard rear rims or would i be better off using a different make on the rear?

what do you think guys

thanks in advance

allan

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Plenty of people on here running 285/35/18 on stock 9.5 rears with no problem at all. The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's are a great tire too so definitely worth going to 285's- win win all round.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
£100 for two new front tyres is one hell of a bargain! As above, it's preferable to have matching tyres on all four corners, and there are no problems with 285s on the rear. I had some on and only got a hint of a rub when going through a compression at fairly high speed.

I've just bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres for the M5; I have used Camskill with success in the past, but they appear to be having some problems getting stock. I tried mytyres.co.uk (German based) - they had the tyres in stock cheaper than anywhere in the UK and delivered them in three days. Not bad at all - may be worth adding to your list of potential suppliers....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dave, i did try camskill but found pneus were slightly cheaper, will try the site you recommend too, and yes the fronts were cheap, they were found in the local classified ads, shame he didnt have some to fit the rears!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Heard good things about Pneus; aren't they Belgium based? It was the first time I've used mytyres but they had the Goodyears at a good price (£206 each delivered last week for rears).
Camskill had them for £190, but no stock for several weeks unfortunately.

£50 per front tyre for an M5... The wonders of classifieds.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've got the same Dunlops on the front and Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin's on the back, combo works fine but the Bridgestones have more grip so I get some understeer when pushing it, maybe because the Dunlops are much older than the Bridgestones?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts