BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Chaps,
Extensively used search and narrowed choice down to below, all about the £600 figure for 4 tyres.

I got aftermarket wheels on, they look like some sort of BBS reps, currently got Dunlop SP Sport 9000's, 245/40/18 Front & 275/35/18 Rear, just after general input or basically somebody to make my mind up for me, need to reskin all 4 corners.

Dunlop SP01

Falken FK-452

Ventus V12 Evo

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA

Thanks for any input in advance...........

Mike

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Dunlop SP01

Falken FK-452

Ventus V12 Evo

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA
IMO

1. Hankook Ventus V12
2. Vredestein Ultrac
3. Falken FK-452
4. Dunlop SP01

Reactions: Mr.Devere

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have no experience with others listed, but I have the Vreds and absolutely love them. To be honest, I could go on and list the pros, but I've done so in previous threads, as many others have done concerning all sorts of tire brands.

Here's the cliff notes: you will love them, and you won't be disappointed in any area. They are great tires.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Its the Michelin PS2 really (I know thats not on your list). Costco are doing 20% off if you have 4 fitted. Probably comes in about £750. Deal ends Sunday I think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Michelins are probly the best you can get for the money. I just installed some Bridgestone RE760's on mine and it was a vast improvement over the falkens that were on it

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mike,

Half way changing at the moment, Michelin on the front and Vredestein rear. When researching, vredestein got good reviews, so went with them.
Got some nice progressive rear movement with them and already more fun than the Michelins, after all I am not after a lap time :)

Gervase

P.S (had v poor experience with tyre express,avoid)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, must admit after reading the many threads I was swaying towards the Vreds, £650 on mytyres delivered, about to get the wheels refurbed so will get them fitted then. Probably be about another £50 to £60 for fitting so that makes Costco's deal for PS2's very attractive, I'll look that up. Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had a set of the Vredsteins, I did not like them.
Grip under braking was less than the worn out PS2s that they replaced. Stopping distances increased with these tires. Not good. :eek7:
I also was not happy with the cornering performance.
And to top it off, all four tires were slightly out of round, which manifested as an ever-so-slight vibration at highway speed. It finally went away after several thousand miles. Alignment shop verified that the tires were causing the vibration.
Plus, having a directional-looking tread that is not directional just makes you look like someone put two of your tires on backwards.

After quickly burning through the Vredsteins on the mountain roads of southern California, I replaced them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact. Great tire, an ever-so-close second to the Michelin PS2, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I always feel I can sum this up quite well. The PS2 is the best tyre and if its a case of buying something thats not as good and saving £200, then buy the PS2's. A full tank of Super unleaded for an M5 is now almost £90. For those wanting to save money, get an 6 speed 540i.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i have ps2's. I enjoy them a lot, lots of grip. bad thing about them is that they only last about 12,000, at least for me they do. Id only go with the best for these cars.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have ps2's. I enjoy them a lot, lots of grip. bad thing about them is that they only last about 12,000, at least for me they do. Id only go with the best for these cars.
I'm not trying to argue, but PS2's and TWS oil aren't absolutes for these cars. It is possible to find equally performing products if you're willing to look around.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I currently have Hankook Ventus V12 on my car and loving it.
They are decently priced too.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm not trying to argue, but PS2's and TWS oil aren't absolutes for these cars. It is possible to find equally performing products if you're willing to look around.
I can't speak for oil as its less easy to quantify directly. But the PS2 is the better tyre for the M5, we go over it alot but when you actually look into it over the life of the tyre it becomes my clearer. Try the PS2 and if you don't think its better then don't buy it again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not wanting to spend the money for PS2's with the lower mileage, I just put a set of Bridgestone RE-760s on my beast. I've got about 1000 miles on them and am very satisfied. I had RE-050 Pole Positions on before and they were great, but only lasted ~15,000 miles. I think the RE-760s feel just about as stable, have good wet traction, and should last a lot longer. I paid about $900 out the door including mounting, balancing, tax, and a road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Vred Ulrac Sessanta (great wet tract) on front and Bridgestone RE760 on the rear. I will put Vreds on the rear when the Bridgestones wear out. Rear have 25K and over 50% of the tread, I believe its a 320 TW.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I had a set of the Vredsteins, I did not like them.
Grip under braking was less than the worn out PS2s that they replaced. Stopping distances increased with these tires. Not good. :eek7:
I also was not happy with the cornering performance.
And to top it off, all four tires were slightly out of round, which manifested as an ever-so-slight vibration at highway speed. It finally went away after several thousand miles. Alignment shop verified that the tires were causing the vibration.
Plus, having a directional-looking tread that is not directional just makes you look like someone put two of your tires on backwards.

After quickly burning through the Vredsteins on the mountain roads of southern California, I replaced them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact. Great tire, an ever-so-close second to the Michelin PS2, in my opinion.
Interesting. I haven't experiences any of the flaws you mention regarding the Vreds. In fact, in my case, I would have to argue against every point. I wonder why. In my opinion they are superior to the PS2's

1 - 20 of 49 Posts