BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, accidentally posted this in the m5 section and don't know how to move it over.
To cut it short;
Got a Nail in rear tyre; found a rear set 285/35/ 19Y (not zr19).

Does it matter if it's a Y19 and not zr19 since this can go up to 180mph and my car is still limited to 155mph ?

Would anyone ever repair a puncture? Is it unsafe ?
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi-grew up in the tire business so here is my input.
I would not mix brands on the axel. I also would want to keep the wear even side to side.
Keep speed ratings the same as came on OE.
Of course this is ideal but you get the idea.
Proper way to repair hole is to drill out the hole (which also helps clean it out) and put filler (a plug) in it. Then the liner on the inside needs to be repaired with a patch. You never just plug or just patch-needs both.
Now can you fix it in the first place? If it is the diameter of a pen or greater-I would pass.
If it is on or near the shoulder or sidewall I would pass.
Be safe.
Dan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's my concern. I don't think I can repair mine - too near the sidewall.

I can get an exact oe pair with 5mm tread with repars In the centre of each tyre, or a y rated pair with 6.5mm tread and no repairs. I was wondering if there will be difference between the y and the zr speed ratings if I keep below 155mph ? I know I
Our cars can do 200mph, but mine is limited and I have no intention of going over 155 mph either.

If you were to choose between the above 2 pairs of tyres which one would you go for ?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That's my concern. I don't think I can repair mine - too near the sidewall.

I can get an exact oe pair with 5mm tread with repars In the centre of each tyre, or a y rated pair with 6.5mm tread and no repairs. I was wondering if there will be difference between the y and the zr speed ratings if I keep below 155mph ? I know I
Our cars can do 200mph, but mine is limited and I have no intention of going over 155 mph either.

If you were to choose between the above 2 pairs of tyres which one would you go for ?
If you are in doubt, repair. Risking your life to save a couple of hundred dollars is the worse false economy I can imagine. Good luck and be safe! :cheers:

Reactions: imycool

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U mean don't repair ?! I dont want to risk repairing mine as the puncture is near the sidewall, and if worse comes to worse I'd rather pay for a new set of ps2's.

However, I have 2 options to save money: buy a new inferior brand, or stick to ps2's and buy a used pair.
The MPs2's I found are in mint condition - better than mine were pre puncture. I just wanted someone who might know about tyres to say if a y rated tyre with load index of 99 was ok to put on the m6 if I am going to stay well below their limit of 185mph. Or shall just buy the zr rated ps2's with a repair in the centre of the tyre?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
U mean don't repair ?! I dont want to risk repairing mine as the puncture is near the sidewall, and if worse comes to worse I'd rather pay for a new set of ps2's.

However, I have 2 options to save money: buy a new inferior brand, or stick to ps2's and buy a used pair.
The MPs2's I found are in mint condition - better than mine were pre puncture. I just wanted someone who might know about tyres to say if a y rated tyre with load index of 99 was ok to put on the m6 if I am going to stay well below their limit of 185mph. Or shall just buy the zr rated ps2's with a repair in the centre of the tyre?
I wouldn't repair, but that's just me. I had a similar flat the first week I owned my Beast and just replaced the tire. If budget is an issue, try Hancook (sp?) They are reasonably priced and have fared extremely well in Car and Driver tire tests. :cheers:

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the load rating of the "Y" is sufficient you will be ok. I still recommend Z though. But again-I just don't like the idea of buying used tires for any high performance vehicle. You really can't have the tire x-rayed to make sure belts are still in alignment etc...Try to buy new. Be safe! And everyone around you will be safe as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am pretty sure Y is a higher speed rating than z. Z is an old rating from when cars didn't go 200 the new high speed rating is (Y). I have no idea why the () are there but according to tirerack.com Y is good to 186 and (Y) is good to 186+ where z is good to 149+. Looking at the pilot sport 2's that are available for the m6 your options are z or (Y). If these were the only speed ratings made in this size go with the (Y). Check the tires and see if the size is 285/35/zr19 (99Y) or 285/35/zr19 99Y. There is a difference and if they are (99Y) they are better than z.
Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts