BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a tyre go at 90mph, and the warning saign came on before I noticed anything. Stopped safely and watched the tyre completely flatten over about 60 secs with audible hiss!
Having read the manual, and used the cannister of sealant etc and managed to get 5 miles. Stopped checked the pressure and it hadn't dropped; but I then inadvertently overinflated to 45psi. Stupidly carried on. Got a knocking noise after a few more miles. Stopped, tyre OK, still inflated. Carried on; noise gets louder and more vibration coming from tyre.Stopped, tyre OK, still inflated. Carried on, then v. loud bang. Stopped, tyre flat and white rubber like solution everywhere. Towed to dealer. After inspection, told new tyre and new alloy needed! Billed for £650.
Asked to inspect the tyre and alloy. Shown a very thick piece of metal that had entered the centre of the tyre and was still embedded (like a large allen key snapped in half). Shown the 6 inch split on the inner side of the tyre where it had blewn (?as over inflated). Shown a light 10" scratch on the outer rim of alloy that I had done kerbing it in a multistorey car park a few weeks ago, which he had taken to be a damaged alloy at the time of the blow out- I DON'T THINK SO! I tell him!

But- should I keep the alloy (they are charging £250 without VAT for the alloy, which doesn't sound much. I thought an alloy would be over £1000.

I will otherwise have to return to have my new alloy removed, and the old one put back!

·
Registered
829 Posts
According to my parts catalogue the alloys cost 442 euro for front and 463 euro for rear, that's including VAT. So 250 GBP ex. VAT seems right to me.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Bad luck mate - glad it wasn't more serious though :byebye:

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Bad luck mate - glad it wasn't more serious though :byebye:
Is this an alloy for an E60 M5!? If so, please give me the dealers number!! I want to buy some at that price... Like you, I expected them to be closer to £1,000 each!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Is this an alloy for an E60 M5!? If so, please give me the dealers number!! I want to buy some at that price... Like you, I expected them to be closer to £1,000 each!!
I think you ment to quote my post :) I think if you go over to a BMW dealer and tell them you want to order the 166M Alloys under the M5 they will understand. Incase they don't here are the part numbers.

Front: 36117834625
Rear: 36117834626

@turton: Glad you're little flat tyre didn't cause an accident. Did you drive on your wheels when it was flat? If so then your rims are probably bent and need replacing anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frylord said:
I think you ment to quote my post :) I think if you go over to a BMW dealer and tell them you want to order the 166M Alloys under the M5 they will understand. Incase they don't here are the part numbers.

Front: 36117834625
Rear: 36117834626

@turton: Glad you're little flat tyre didn't cause an accident. Did you drive on your wheels when it was flat? If so then your rims are probably bent and need replacing anyway.

Luckily was going about 20mph when heard the BANG, and stopped after 20yrds. Haven't seen the rims with tyre off, but would be amazed if not OK.

I can't believe the alloys are the same price as the tyres! I had seen before that it cost £100 plus to get scratches ground out of an alloy, but for £250 for a new one, it hardly seems worth it.

I still don't really understand why the trye did go "BANG"- I am sure it was over inflated, and guess there was a bulge or something- that might explain the juderring sensation that I was getting for the mile before it went pop.

·
Registered
829 Posts
turton said:
Luckily was going about 20mph when heard the BANG, and stopped after 20yrds. Haven't seen the rims with tyre off, but would be amazed if not OK.

I can't believe the alloys are the same price as the tyres! I had seen before that it cost £100 plus to get scratches ground out of an alloy, but for £250 for a new one, it hardly seems worth it.

I still don't really understand why the trye did go "BANG"- I am sure it was over inflated, and guess there was a bulge or something- that might explain the juderring sensation that I was getting for the mile before it went pop.
Glad to hear, think of it this way. Material can be replaced, your beast can be patched up, but you can't. So just be glad you weren't harmed.

I don't understand why the M5 alloys are so cheap aswell. The M6 alloys are a tad bit expensive but still relatively cheap compared to aftermarket alloys. Must be because of the fact that BMW mass produceses these.

Incase anybody is wondering here are the 167M (M6) alloy prices and partnumbers.

Front: 683 euro 36117835146
Rear: 704 euro 36117835148

Whats even more amazing (and I just realized this) is that you pay 1500 euro for a 166M to 167M upgrade on the M5 (so M6 wheels instead of M5). According to the parts catalogue 4 M5 alloys cost 1810 euro and 4 M6 alloys cost 2774 euro. Now 2774 - 1810 = 964 euro. So why are we paying 1500 euro for this upgrade?

These prices are including 19% Dutch VAT, so prices maybe lower or higher in your country.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These prices are staggeringly cheap. I would like to know how they compare with alloys on Maserati or Aston Martin. The M5 alloys are stunning, and to make them for £250 is incredible.

frylord said:
Glad to hear, think of it this way. Material can be replaced, your beast can be patched up, but you can't. So just be glad you weren't harmed.

I don't understand why the M5 alloys are so cheap aswell. The M6 alloys are a tad bit expensive but still relatively cheap compared to aftermarket alloys. Must be because of the fact that BMW mass produceses these.

Incase anybody is wondering here are the 167M (M6) alloy prices and partnumbers.

Front: 683 euro 36117835146
Rear: 704 euro 36117835148

Whats even more amazing (and I just realized this) is that you pay 1500 euro for a 166M to 167M upgrade on the M5 (so M6 wheels instead of M5). According to the parts catalogue 4 M5 alloys cost 1810 euro and 4 M6 alloys cost 2774 euro. Now 2774 - 1810 = 964 euro. So why are we paying 1500 euro for this upgrade?

These prices are including 19% Dutch VAT, so prices maybe lower or higher in your country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing happened to me in an e39. Happened to be right near the dealership, so I pulled in and told them the issue. Their response? "Do you have an appointment?". :grrrr: I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ran over a brick in the raod in my E39 at about 100mph, pulled out to over take a lorry and with it being the same colour as the road didn't see it till too late:(

Checked the wheel and could see nothing wrong. 2 or 3 days later getting into the car at a car park noticed a mark on the wheel, it turned out to be a bent rim lip. It must of been at the bottom of the wheel when I checked the first time as there was no marking just the lip pulled out a bit.

Becasue I'd driven about 400 miles, the tyre had bulged to fit the bent rim so had to replace both. The Bill came to just under 900 UKpounds so the quote you've had is a bargain:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
turton said:
These prices are staggeringly cheap. I would like to know how they compare with alloys on Maserati or Aston Martin. The M5 alloys are stunning, and to make them for £250 is incredible.
On the Maserati, the standard 18" wheels from the dealer are roughly $1100-1200 each, a major ripoff. Of course, in the open market (i.e. ebay, etc.), you could buy a set of 4 nearly-new stock wheels with tires for $1000-1500 or so. There might not be any around when you need them though.

Similar situation with e46 M3s (and many other cars). Stock 18s are a dime a dozen (on BMW message board classifieds like Roadfly or Bimmerforums) until you absolutely have to have one and you end up needing to get it from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Keep the damaged alloy, put a tire on it and use it as a spare!

QUESTION: Aren't the E60's equipped with run-flats?? :confused2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts