BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are two types of Super Sprint exhauts.

One is sold as racing with sharp cut tips like oem that I like but I don't think it's road legal

The other is normal with round edge tips that I don't like as much but is road legal

(Road legal for Switzerland that is)

Has anyone monted the first and can they tell me the difference between the two, sound wise that is.

Attachments

·
Company Representative for Supersprint
151 Posts

marcducati

The street performance mufflers by Supersprint 786826 and 786846 offer a deep smooth tone and carry full TUV approval. These may be the best choice for you if you are concerned with being road legal. I personally think these tips look very classy on the M5 and following the flowing lines of the car nicely. Please see the image below.

If you decide to go with the race muffler by Supersprint 044206 and 044236 please keep in mind that these are not TUV approved and provide ~20% more sound volume than OEM. These muffler not only give the M5 an aggressive exhaust note but also offer an aggressive look with the straight cut tips.

What ever you decide, if you go with Supersprint you will not be disappointed. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions at all. Chris

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
marducati, I've got the street legal version on a CB Beast (which you've got, right?) with the X-pipe and it is awesome - both fit and finish, and sound most importantly (you can check out some pics under my profile).

There are many opinions which exhaust is the 'best', as with any mods, there is always a high degree of subjectivity and personal bias, but you will not go wrong with the SSs. For me, the important factors were (not necessarily on that order): looks (the Supersprints are the biggest size pipes you can squeeze in without cutting your bumper); sound (wanted a low pitch rumble/ throaty/bassy exhaust), fitment, (didn't want to mix one manufacturers X-pipe with another's end cans), and certain long term considerations (one day, I know I will have the full SS setup - headers + racing cats).

But again, whatever you choose you will not go wrong. There are folks here that will write you for days how good the Tubis, Eisenmanns, Kelleners, Millteks, Dinans. etc. are (which is all true btw). Most folks would agree that the Remus are the most inferior to the abovementioned bunch, which I know is a popular brand in your neck of the woods (and allegedly, they manufacture the cans for ACS). Listen to all the sound clips available and that ought to help you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Any one have video of there car with Supersprint?

The thing here in Switzerland is that our cars have to be presented to a sort of visit (kind of like MOT in the UK but with an attitude) to check that everything is in order and safe. The first is after 4 years, then anthoer 3 years and then every 2 and so on.

This is a major(and I'm polite) pain in the rear end. Every thing that is not "legal" has to be removed. So xpipes and other things have to be taken out.

Now Switzerland not being part of Europe (thats the politcal not the Geographical) even TUV (german authority on cars) is not recognised. It has to have a CH (Swiss) authorisation. This is why it's not easy to mount things. Now I know that on a car like the M5 you are never stopped (unless you realy over do it) but as my car is a 2002 model I'm good for the inspection in about a year and taking everything appart is a pain. That is why on my other thread I posted the idea to modify OEM so that It could pass as is.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=595468#post595468

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
marcducati said:
Any one have video of there car with Supersprint?

The thing here in Switzerland is that our cars have to be presented to a sort of visit (kind of like MOT in the UK but with an attitude) to check that everything is in order and safe. The first is after 4 years, then anthoer 3 years and then every 2 and so on.

This is a major(and I'm polite) pain in the rear end. Every thing that is not "legal" has to be removed. So xpipes and other things have to be taken out.

Now Switzerland not being part of Europe (thats the politcal not the Geographical) even TUV (german authority on cars) is not recognised. It has to have a CH (Swiss) authorisation. This is why it's not easy to mount things. Now I know that on a car like the M5 you are never stopped (unless you realy over do it) but as my car is a 2002 model I'm good for the inspection in about a year and taking everything appart is a pain. That is why on my other thread I posted the idea to modify OEM so that It could pass as is.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=595468#post595468
Sorry to hear of the legal and cumbursome regulations in CH.

Have you checked out the video and sound clips on Beastpower?

Here is a link for SS: http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SU-BE39M-EX-90&Category_Code=ssex&Store_Code=BMI

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, I've just ordered the supersprint cans. I got a real good deal throught a friend. I'm saving about Frs 1'000.- over kelleners. They also sound great to my taste. I find the difference in sound to small to justify spending more on an other brand. :2:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Good stuff! The savings are pretty significant, I agree.

I am sure you will like them a lot, I do. As far as visuals go (not commenting on sound which is even more of a subjectove issue), IMO these are the best looking cans for the Beast (they have the biggest tip of any other competitor and fit and finish is awesome). Although people who like a single tip duo and are ACS lovers may diagree.

No X-Pipe for you? I guess the stringent Swiss 'anti-mod' laws prohibit that...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
cosioboy said:
Good stuff!

No X-Pipe for you? I guess the stringent Swiss 'anti-mod' laws prohibit that...
No x-pipe :3: as you guessed, too much hassel. But the sound should please me non the less. I don't want to over do it either :hihihi:. I'll see once its on.

The look is a bit more extreme than I had planned but what the heck. :2: I like the muscle car sound (and look) that it gives. If you take the Merc AMG's they have exhausts that are pretty extreme too. :hihihi: American type muscle cars are rare here so it'll have a some what unique sound to it.

My brother had a supersprint on his Subaru Impreza STI and it sounded like a jet with after burners on when the turbo was loading. It was awsome :haha:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
marcducati said:
No x-pipe :3: as you guessed, too much hassel. But the sound should please me non the less. I don't want to over do it either :hihihi:. I'll see once its on.

The look is a bit more extreme than I had planned but what the heck. :2: I like the muscle car sound (and look) that it gives. If you take the Merc AMG's they have exhausts that are pretty extreme too. :hihihi: American type muscle cars are rare here so it'll have a some what unique sound to it.

My brother had a supersprint on his Subaru Impreza STI and it sounded like a jet with after burners on when the turbo was loading. It was awsome :haha:
Yeah, doing just the cans won't be too extreme. X-pipe (and headers) might be too much for the Swiss standards.

Sound and look is great. You mention Mercs - the Supersprints are probably closest to the look of the AMG given the elipsoid design. I love it.

The Supersprints sound very differenty depending on the make, especially # of cylinders. In my opion, Remus sounds fabulous on a 4- and 6-cyl, but just doesn't cut it for me on the Beast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: 1

Supersprint said:
marcducati

The street performance mufflers by Supersprint 786826 and 786846 offer a deep smooth tone and carry full TUV approval. These may be the best choice for you if you are concerned with being road legal. I personally think these tips look very classy on the M5 and following the flowing lines of the car nicely. Please see the image below.

If you decide to go with the race muffler by Supersprint 044206 and 044236 please keep in mind that these are not TUV approved and provide ~20% more sound volume than OEM. These muffler not only give the M5 an aggressive exhaust note but also offer an aggressive look with the straight cut tips.

What ever you decide, if you go with Supersprint you will not be disappointed. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions at all. Chris

Would this be road legal with resonator removed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts