BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took two quick Sound Clips for those who have thought about removing your resonator only and replacing it with some strait pipes. It cost like $100 to $200 bucks depending where you go and you keep your stock cats. They were taken both on the same day. I didn't give it as much gas in the first vid "Stock Exhaust" because it was pretty early and I was trying to be considerate to my neighbors. There is definitely a small difference in the sound. It is a good minor mod for the money if you don't want to pony up the cash for a real sport exhaust system. Also, I have an old picture that was posted by another member who had done the same thing. :M5thumbs:

(STOCK EXHAUST LINK)** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAN31otP5gY

(NO RESONATOR LINK)**** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbLfDHEfn0

Attachments

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Very nice video comparison. That shows the difference really well at relatively low rpms. There is even more of a difference at WOT under load. At the track, I was running with an identical M5 but with stock exhaust. People were complimenting me on the my car "it sounds like an F1 car down the straight". You couldn't really hear the stock car very well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
very nice....thanks for that. I wonder if there are any hp gains by removing resonators... BTW resonators are what they call "SECTION 2" right?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Great videos, it is nice to be able to hear the difference between the different set-ups.

Though shouldn't the resenator be replaced by a H or X pipe.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the same set up on my M6.
I have the supersprint X pipes.
The sound is not excessive but so much more sexy ( if you can find an exhaust sound sexy)??!!!??????

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have the same set up on my M6.
I have the supersprint X pipes.
The sound is not excessive but so much more sexy ( if you can find an exhaust sound sexy)??!!!??????
I do... :15:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great videos, it is nice to be able to hear the difference between the different set-ups.

Though shouldn't the resenator be replaced by a H or X pipe.
The H section, or cross flow, is under the brace plate. The resonator is just a flow through. It does not combine the exhaust.

E

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice....thanks for that. I wonder if there are any hp gains by removing resonators... BTW resonators are what they call "SECTION 2" right?
I really think there is NO HP gain, but no loss off back pressure as well. To be honest I have no idea what section it is called? :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
so the H or X pipe replaces the cats? or resonators? im lost now....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the SS X-Pipe is to replace the Resonator only, not Cats. I just used some plain old strait pipes (just like the X pipe) because of $$$. Same thing just cheaper.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes the supersprint x Pipe I have replaces the reasonators only.
You have to cut the exhaust just after the cat.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Nice comparison.
Section 1 replaces the secondary cats
Section 2 is the x-pipe and replaces the resonator
Section 3 are the muffler (cans) system that you buy.

For me the exhaust note demonstrated is too tame.
We are all different.

M5Ranger

·
Registered
39 Posts
thats great .. so if i want to order this part that deletes the resonators, does it has a specific name and what brand do u recomend , thnx

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
thats great .. so if i want to order this part that deletes the resonators, does it has a specific name and what brand do u recomend , thnx
Commonly, people have replaced resonators (Section 2) with SS X pipes...

My set up will be SS X pipes linked with E Race exhaust....the E race exhaust obviously is loud and the X pipes will make the sound deeper and throatier (is that a word?)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds good- did you notice it less raspy now?

i might just do this mod instead of Xpipe with the Dinan
I "think" it is a little less Raspier. Definitely a bit more aggressive. Any muffler shop has the piping in stock. I really think it would sound the same with the SS X-pipe for $600+ dollars compared to the no name pipes for $150. Add the Dinan mufflers and it should sound perfect. I think I want some mufflers very soon myself. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts