BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Looks like fun! I can't wait to scratch my track itch in the spring!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
WHERE CAN I DO THIS IN IL???

Dumb question - why the blue tapes on cars at the track? dings from the elements?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CWY_M5 said:
WHERE CAN I DO THIS IN IL???

Dumb question - why the blue tapes on cars at the track? dings from the elements?
Not sure where in Illinois - I would look for a local SCCA chapter or the like.

The blue tape on the car is painters tape. Easy to put on and take off and saves you from dings from rocks thrown up. Lots of high horsepower cars+sticky tires from working hard+high speed equals rocks being thrown up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those who are wondering, here are some more details about the event. We ran at Firebird Intl' Raceway on their main track. It is 1.6 miles long with 13 turns. The main straightaway is 5/8 of a mile long - you can build up ALOT of speed in that 5/8 of a mile. Coming to the braking cones I was at 120-125. From there it was into a hard left that continued to bleed off, then back into another hard left. A total blast. Definetely gave my car and tires a good workout.

Before I went out I had Dave Z send me HT10 Track pads, Motul 600 fluid and stainless lines. For anyone that is planning on tracking your car this is a MUST do. Even with the upgrades (my rotors were nominal however, I will order floating euro rotors tommorow) the car needed all the brakes it had. I would not even consider running the car without working on the brakes first. The Hawk HT10's worked amazingly well, they really grab when they get hot. Off of the main straight I was going from 125 to about 25 in a few hundred feet. It definetely comes up fast.

To anyone who wants to have one of the best experiences they can I say go do it. I can already tell that this is a very addictive habit. I can pretty much guarantee that I will be dreaming of steering hard through chicanes tonight and hitting that strait and going all out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
TiSiBeast said:
The blue tape on the car is painters tape. Easy to put on and take off and saves you from dings from rocks thrown up. Lots of high horsepower cars+sticky tires from working hard+high speed equals rocks being thrown up.
You dont need to worry about this as long as you stay in front of the pack ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
teej said:
You dont need to worry about this as long as you stay in front of the pack ;)
The problem I had at California Speedway this last weekend was that after being at the front of the pack for 1 lap, I closed the gap on the back of the pack!:haha2: It was my first track experience and went for the "Car Control Clinic". Watch for full writeup and pics shortly...

I was wondering about the tape too. Some people had it, some didn't, but it wasn't required. When I took my motorcycle out a few years back on Willow Springs, they insisted on tape to keep from having broken glass and broken plastic on the course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
CWY_M5 said:
WHERE CAN I DO THIS IN IL???
There are two tracks that I know of in Illinois, Blackhawk Fams (www.blackhawkfarms.com) and Autobahn Country Club (www.autobahncountryclub.net).

What I would advise is that you join BMWCCA and then attend some of their driving schools which are held during the summer at various different racetracks. I drive with Bagdger Bimmers (www.badgerbimmers.org), NASA (www.nasamidwest.com) and Midwest F-Body Association (roadamerica.fbody.us). There is a MFBA event this coming weekend at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI(www.roadamerica.com). If you want to come up I am willing to give you a ride on the track in My M Roadster. There are other board members who drive with F-Body too, Anita is usually there.

The track season is almost finished in the Midwest, so you might be Out of luck until next year. You might be able to get into the NASA event at RA later this month, but that's the only event I am aware of remaining this year.

PM me if you are interested in coming to RA this weekend and I'll give you my cellphone number.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Mark_m5 said:
The problem I had at California Speedway this last weekend was that after being at the front of the pack for 1 lap, I closed the gap on the back of the pack!:haha2: It was my first track experience and went for the "Car Control Clinic". Watch for full writeup and pics shortly...

I was wondering about the tape too. Some people had it, some didn't, but it wasn't required. When I took my motorcycle out a few years back on Willow Springs, they insisted on tape to keep from having broken glass and broken plastic on the course.
Hello Mark,
It was great to meet you! Nice car you have there!!lovelove

I was one of the ones that taped up the front of my car. (Not too many people did this.) I just did it to protect the front of the car from any impacts that obviously would do more damage at the higher speeds we were running. Did I need to bother? We'll never know!:dunno: But I didn't notice any damage on cars that didn't do it.
:cheers:
Cheers,
Alfred
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another picture with a Cayman S in hot pursuit......

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
TiSiBeast.
very nice! There is a track day tomorrow at Willow Springs and I have to fly to chicago :(

Do you have a clear bra? You may want a little more tape. The further up the hood the better for S*&T hitting it.

Another day planned soon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
gbogh3 said:
very nice! There is a track day tomorrow at Willow Springs and I have to fly to chicago :(
Bring a jacket, they are forecasting a High temp of 43°F on Thursday. It's almost time for snow tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gbogh3 said:
TiSiBeast.
very nice! There is a track day tomorrow at Willow Springs and I have to fly to chicago :(

Do you have a clear bra? You may want a little more tape. The further up the hood the better for S*&T hitting it.

Another day planned soon?
No clear bra, I just wanted to get the main leading edges. Didnt wind up with any damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
TiSi,
Congratulations!! Looks like everything went really well for you?! So when's your next event?:7:

TiSiBeast said:
Its just painters tape.
I guessing it's the Scotch 3M Safe Release Painters' Masking Tape? I did that on my M5 too the first time. You know the other week when I was telling you I only did one highspeed autoX in my M5, I went back an looked (me and my 10 second memory-sorry) and I actually did another highspeed one that yr and then and autoX on ice!:7:

I think if your fog light lens are still in good shape I would slap a few pieces of tape on them. And maybe behind the tires, especially if you go for any change in wheel size and/or R compound tires. They really seem to kick up the road grit.

Thanks for the post on your event!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
jhowton said:
There are two tracks that I know of in Illinois, Blackhawk Fams (www.blackhawkfarms.com) and Autobahn Country Club (www.autobahncountryclub.net).

What I would advise is that you join BMWCCA and then attend some of their driving schools which are held during the summer at various different racetracks. I drive with Bagdger Bimmers (www.badgerbimmers.org), NASA (www.nasamidwest.com) and Midwest F-Body Association (roadamerica.fbody.us). There is a MFBA event this coming weekend at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI(www.roadamerica.com). If you want to come up I am willing to give you a ride on the track in My M Roadster. There are other board members who drive with F-Body too, Anita is usually there.

The track season is almost finished in the Midwest, so you might be Out of luck until next year. You might be able to get into the NASA event at RA later this month, but that's the only event I am aware of remaining this year.

PM me if you are interested in coming to RA this weekend and I'll give you my cellphone number.

Jamie and CWY_M5,
Yes I will be up there for both the F Body event this weekend at Road America and the NASA one next weekend same place. Jamie, you may have seen this email too, but NASA was at one point waiving the $40 membership fee for new members if they signed up for the NASA RA event--do I have that right?


And I too will give rides this upcoming weekend if you dare HA HA HA:7: I will be driving my '02 Vette blow mobile. Hey Jamie, I have to brag like a big swell headed thing, but at Octoberfast I did my fastest time yet with it (like it looked like you did too?). I probably just cursed myself with that one.:biggrinbounce: Oh Jamie has my cell # or you can email for it.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top