BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some pix where there are two intakes on the outer part of the bottom center grill.

what are they for? CAI or brakes?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
swingkat420 said:
I've seen some pix where there are two intakes on the outer part of the bottom center grill.

Actually they are for both.

First they open up the brake ducts. Then the intake pipe is conected, so that is the new area where the car draws its cold air from.

They replace the aluminum brake cooling duct with almost the same piece, except it has a 4 inch circular hole & Rim where the new intake attaches to.

There is a small fin that interrupts the air flow to the brakes.

That fin collects positive pressure air for the motor.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
swingkat420 said:

Here is a pic of what I was talking about.

Its a Stock part except for the circular opening that the new pipes attach to. They actually intrude inside to scoop out air as it rushes past to cool the brakes.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
MIB said:
Here is a pic of what I was talking about.
Hey Mr. Expert MIB - That's some nice looking hardware. Does Yoda wear a pair of those?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Hey Mr. Expert MIB - That's some nice looking hardware. Does Yoda wear a pair of those?
Hey Bill, Yes he does indeed.

I have the full AA CAI setup. But all my pics are old ones.

Most do not show it.

I just got my ZAINO today. I have been trying a long time to get it. I finally ordered it and had it sent to ChuckC and he forwarded it on too me. (Thanks again Mr C.)

So Yoda is in for a treat.

I want some practise, just prior to making a decision about buying a BLACK car.

I have ordered my NEW plates, which will be the new NAME of the new Fire breathing vehicle.

EMMA
YODA
&
The Next one is always the Best one. ;)

Its a secret the new name, but I will post pics........eventually. :byebye:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I totaly by passed the aluminum boxes and hooked the air hoses directlt to the inlet rings in the grill. I felt that 'leaking' air to the brakes did little to cool them as the air flow is not directed directly to the rotors (no ducted backing plates). Also the lack of seals at the plastic runners (behind the grill) leaves too many places for air to excape. Running the air into the inlet hoses to the stock air filter boxes would have a more 'ram air' effect. I like it! Don't know if there is much hp gain. :1:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway ... With the air entry points so low, is there a risk of pulling water into the engine? I remember from various articles in the past that pulling water directly into the cylinders tends to destroy the engine pretty quick.

BTW, I'm not trying to be a scaremonger here, I'm sure it's been thought about but I've done my fair share of driving in pouring rain and running through sizeable puddles and just got curious when reading this thread and looking at the photos ...

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I thought about that.... The air passage is sooo long just to get to the air filter boxes. There is a drain at the bottom of the filter boxs. Water is heavy and would have a hard time getting that far in. That said, common sense would caution one to avoid deep water. I have driven my setup in very heavy rains with no problems.

LOL :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
MIB said:
...I just got my ZAINO today...
Hey bud - you're in for a real treat. Are you going with the whole program? If you ever need anything shipped to the land down under, just shoot me a PM - I'd be happy to help you out.

C'mon Bro, give us a hint (of the new name)

:cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made my own out of 2 3 inch pvc couplings, and some spray paint, and they work/look sweet in my oppinion. Only cost me $7 too :M5thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts