BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Turn the key, one click, and nothing...

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Ted 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope it's okay to post a problem I'm having with my Lexus RX 300 since lot's of us have secondary cars and could possibly learn from this thread :typing:...

Today I turned the ignition key on the Rx 300, heard one single click, and nothing happened-it didn't start. I tried it once more and same thing. Here's the weird part... round 3- car turns on. I take her for a drive around the block and back, park her, turn her off and back on, again- one click. 2 more tries-nothing. 4th try- vrooom! What could this be?

2 tidbits of info: Last year the car had an idle air control valve problem where it wouldn't start no matter how many times you turned the key until you tapped the gas pedal, than it would start. The mechanic took the valve, inspected it and said it had a lot of build-up on it and said that was most likely the problem, he said I could replace it or he could clean it really good and might last a long time and I went with the cleaning. It's been about a year with no problems and I don't think it's the same symptoms, slightly different. I think this might be more of a starter issue but I'm not positive. Thoughts and ideas please :dunno:

#2 · (Edited)
Since you are referring the E39 M5 parts and support vehicle, I think the quesion is allowed!:grinyes:

My first thought is bad battery cable (not just on M5's) or possible issue with either ignition switch or key. Bad ground would also be a low probablity.

Ignitions switches can wear out or the contacts can go bad, but that is usually on pretty high mile cars.
The electronic keys can get a little cranky. If you have another key, try that and see if it makes any difference.
Regards,
Jerry

#5 ·
Since you are referring the E39 M5 parts and support vehicle, I think the quesion is allowed!:grinyes:

My first thought is bad battery cable (not just on M5's) or possible issue with either ignition switch or key. Bad ground would also be a low probablity.

Ignitions switches can wear out or the contacts can go bad, but that is usually on pretty high mile cars.
The electronic keys can get a little cranky. If you have another key, try that and see if it makes any difference.
Regards,
Jerry
Haha, that's good. :applause: Thanks, I will check the cables. What's also kinda funny is that I AM using a different key, original electronic key snapped in half where plastic meets metal 2 weeks ago, been too busy to go get new keys, this one is a good back-up key, not electronic. Car has 126k miles.

A-is the starter solenoid and starter the same thing or different? I just need a volt-meter, right? What readings am I looking for?

#8 ·
Thanks everybody. How do I test the starter...what position should the key be in and where should I place the positive and negative points of the voltmeter? If it's anything less than 12 volts that means it's bad?

#12 ·
Both very useful links, I appreciate everyone's input. I will pick up a voltmeter tomorrow and start shopping for a quality inexpensive starter since most of you seem to think that's what I need. In the meantime any more possibilities or confirmations would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

#18 · (Edited)
It may not be a Lexus, but they were both built for old people. ;)

LMAO :M5thumbs:

TFF

BTW, dont the local auto shops ie Kragens, Action, Shucks, Autozone, Etc, check the starter for free?

#13 ·
Don't buy a starter yet, you need to confirm that it went bad. Check all the fuses. Is there a starter relay? Check connection to the starter.

#14 ·
Start looking but don't buy til you test. Also, you might want to for loose connections to the battery terminals, and also corrostion on the battery. My son did some work on my M's and had removed the ground cable while he worked on it. He had put the ground back on to test something, and got busy with customers. End story, he never tighten it down and I drove it home without problems, in the morning went to the gym, then to starbucks,This went on for more than a week, then I go out to start the car to go to work, goes to crank, then nothing. try again and it's just click. Call son and he tells me to check the ground cable. I tighten with those nice tools BMW gives in the truck, started her up and drove to work.

#15 ·
Now you're talking things I don't understand.....(I got fuses and that's it, sorry) , should I fork out some $ for a diagnostic?

#17 · (Edited)
Look at the igniton switch first.
Since this is the 3.0L six, you can get to the starter silinoid easy.
The thick wire is the positive from the battery, you will get 12 volts from that. There should be two small wires next to it which activate the silinoid, one is from the ignition switch.
One of them is where you will want to see if the key lights up a test light or voltage meter.

Its not the idle control valve that just effects the intake manifold.

#20 ·
How old is the BATTERY!?

Once they start getting low yopu can get funky things when you turn the key...starts, doesn't start, etc.

If it is original, definitely replace it before you do anything else.

A

#21 ·
How old is the BATTERY!?

Once they start getting low yopu can get funky things when you turn the key...starts, doesn't start, etc.

If it is original, definitely replace it before you do anything else.

A
came with car, so unleast 2 years old, but looks older than that. Definitely not oem though, I can tell by the brand :haha:

#22 · (Edited)
I thought this was pretty ironic...

Yesterday I get in the RX to take it to Autozone to get a definite diagnosis plus get the battery and solenoid tested as well, right, well I guess the started or solenoid whatever it is decided to blow up on me (exaggeration) because when I turned the key the car started instantly and I was happy for a second, it was a very brief second until I realized the car was still starting and starting and starting! :happybirt

WTF! HAHAHA first the thing doesn't wan't to start, now it doesn't wan't to stop, I thought that was pretty hilarious. I turned it off, waited and tried again, but same exact thing, just started, right up, and kept turning over non-stop, sounded exactly like a blender or something :eek:h:. Starter, right?

I didn't go anywhere but called the parts store and they said on this car the solenoid and starter is one piece and even if it is the solenoid you can't change it independently of the starter, you have to get a new starter which will have a new solenoid in it. So I ordered a brand new one on eBay for $100 shipped and will attempt the install myself, hopefully it fixes it and if not I can re-sell it or something.

So you guys think I did the right thing? And what can I do with my used started, I know it's worth something to somebody because they have to get them from somewhere to rebuild them and resell them, so maybe the autostore will buy it for three fity (jk) or some website out there that you know of? Thanks :byee55amg

#24 ·
Yesterday I get in the RX to take it to Autozone to get a definite diagnosis plus get the battery and solenoid tested as well, right, well I guess the started or solenoid whatever it is decided to blow up on me (exaggeration) because when I turned the key the car started instantly and I was happy for a second, it was a very brief second until I realized the car was still starting and starting and starting! :happybirt

WTF! HAHAHA first the thing doesn't wan't to start, now it doesn't wan't to stop, I thought that was pretty hilarious. I turned it off, waited and tried again, but same exact thing, just started, right up, and kept turning over non-stop, sounded exactly like a blender or something :eek:h:. Starter, right?

I didn't go anywhere but called the parts store and they said on this car the solenoid and starter is one piece and even if it is the solenoid you can't change it independently of the starter, you have to get a new starter which will have a new solenoid in it. So I ordered a brand new one on eBay for $100 shipped and will attempt the install myself, hopefully it fixes it and if not I can re-sell it or something.

So you guys think I did the right thing? And what can I do with my used started, I know it's worth something to somebody because they have to get them from somewhere to rebuild them and resell them, so maybe the autostore will buy it for three fity (jk) or some website out there that you know of? Thanks :byee55amg
Ted,

Try this forum www.clublexus.com

Great bunch of guys. Pretty much similar philosophy and approach as this board. No BS and no pumks. They have special forums for all Lexus cars. I am there due to my 98 GS4.

Brent

#26 ·
It sure is funny how this thread which has NOTHING to do with an E39 M5 has remained here this long.. Others get bitched at and are told to put their threads in the proper location but this Lexus starter thread remains here ?? Come on mods be fair now..:dunno:

#27 ·
Must be cause I'm cool and I'm a nice guy, unlike some people around here ;)

#29 · (Edited)
Update: received the new starter/solenoid today and installed it, got a scare at first because I tried to start the car and nothing happened, no click nothing. But then I guessed the battery might be dead from being disconnected for a few days and I used the M5 to jump the RX and she started right up, everything worked fine after that. I then tried to start her without jumper cables and she started no problem, so looks like problem solved! The fact that battery died after being disconnected/not used for just a few days tells me it might need to be replaced, I will take it to an autostore now and get the battery tested, though I always think they're going to tell me it's bad because they want me to buy their battery... thanks for everybody's advice!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.