BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my car to work this morning ('99 540i/6) went to use the turn signal, and got nothing. No indicator on the dash, no noise, nothing. Got to work, parked the car, got out, noticed that the hazards were flashing. Again, there was no indicator on the dash, or from the switch. I got back in the car, tried several times (unsuccessfully), to turn off the hazards. Hopped back in the car, pulled around to the garage, and got back out. Now, the hazards are out, turn signals and hazard switches working fine. Anyone have any experience with this?? :dunno: Any hints, tips would be great. Thanks!
Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same thing happen once when it was very, very wet outside (3 days of rain). Talked to my tech about it and he said they had seen it when a switch under the center console went bad, usually from liquid spillage over time. That wasn't my case, so I just chalked it up to excessive moisture somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
same thing happened to me today - i find that as soon as i lock the car, and unlock it, it goes back to normal - who knows :S

Reactions: kcv442

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
My car did this too me over the wknd as well. As noted above, a quick, lock/unlock reset everything. This car has mysterious ways about it sometimes...

Reactions: kcv442

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Guess I'll not worry about it. If it becomes more of an issue, and requires repair, I'll be sure to post the results. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
E39 gremlins at it again......:hihi:
LOL I think many cars have these "unexplained" happenings...I had a minivan one time that would take one swipe of the windshield wiper occasionally while driving down the road for no reason! The dealer never did believe me, and never found the problem.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The hazard switch overrides all other exterior lights. Whether your issues lies in the switch itself or in the wiring between the switch and the central module would be difficult to trace since it is intermittent. If you are concerned about it I would start by replace the hazard switch, but were it me it would have to be frequent for me to act on it...

d-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me too!

The same thing just happened to me today - does anyone have any more info on this? Unfortunately, lock/unlock didn't work for me. Symptoms:

Drove car into work this morning, no issues.

Came out to the parking lot this afternoon, no issues.

Start the car, drive away, then a mile down the road I notice my hazards flashing in the bumper of the car in front of me. Also, the radio won't turn on. The screen does light up with the BMW logo, but then it blacks and pushing the button doesn't turn it on (amber light on the left stays off).

Pull off, look around, sure enough, hazards are flashing, but the inside indicators (dash and switch) don't show this. Hit the hazard button a few times - no luck. Shut off the car and start a few times - now the hazard responds properly via the switch, and the switch itself does blink when hazards are activated, my turn signals do work, but my dash signal indicators are out, and the radio is still hosed. I yanked and inserted the radio fuses, and it did reset, including bringing up the BMW logo, and I can lift the face by hitting the cassette button, but it won't turn on.

Any ideas?

I'm bringing the car in for service tomorrow anyway (good timing), so I'm going to have them check it out, but I'd love for someone here to give me some good, inexpensive news first. :)

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
116 Posts
FIXED!!!

cherrsagai

After two hours of reading on teh interwheb, I figured it out.

The bottom line is that when this happens, it generally means that something went wrong on your communications bus, which handles all the talking between the various electronic components that handle everything from the hazards, to the lights, to the radio, and so on.

In my case, it was my Dension Icelink, which, after 3 years, finally went POOF! Hop in the trunk, unplug the Icelink, and all is well!

Well, except for the poor Icelink... what am I going to do without my iPod? :( Time to get a new system.

I really did love the IL, by the way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news for you, t10001, I still haven't had a reoccurance since the first time. But my Bimmer doesn't have an ice link, or any aftermarket electronics.:dunno:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good news for you, t10001, I still haven't had a reoccurance since the first time. But my Bimmer doesn't have an ice link, or any aftermarket electronics.:dunno:
Based on everything I've read, the amp is a frequent culprit. If it happens again, pop the trunk, open the left flap, disconnect everything from the amp and CD changer, look for obvious corrosion or damage, and try the failed devices and see if they're working. Then reconnect everything and see if they still work. Sometimes it's just a loose connector, sometimes water damage, sometimes failed amp.

The problem is that there are SO many things that communicate on that bus, that if any one of them is having a wiring issue or becomes defective, you can have severely annoying intermittent problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The hazard switch overrides all other exterior lights. Whether your issues lies in the switch itself or in the wiring between the switch and the central module would be difficult to trace since it is intermittent. If you are concerned about it I would start by replace the hazard switch, but were it me it would have to be frequent for me to act on it...

d-
Doug,

I see your recommendation above to replace the hazard switch.

Two issues:

• my turn signals don't make any sounds (no clicking)
  • the hazard lights don't make a sound when pressed
I'd like the turn signals to be audible.

Do you believe replacing the hazard switch could make the turn signals click again?

Is it possible the former owner turned off the sound in NCS expert?

How can I get the turn signals to click again?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Doug,

I see your recommendation above to replace the hazard switch.

Two issues:

• my turn signals don't make any sounds (no clicking)
  • the hazard lights don't make a sound when pressed
I'd like the turn signals to be audible.

Do you believe replacing the hazard switch could make the turn signals click again?

Is it possible the former owner turned off the sound in NCS expert?

How can I get the turn signals to click again?
Resurrecting a 12 year old thread - interesting move :)

For your symptoms it isn't going to be the hazard switch. I don't know enough about NCS expert to know if the sounds can be turned off, but that would strike me as an uncommon feature.

More likely is that the gong (aka chime module) has gone bad. This could also affect your low temperature warnings, PDC, and other LCM errors. It makes 5 different sounds depending on event, and is located in the left front footwell. If you remove the panel above your feet (a couple screws and the two plastic screws behind the clutch and brake on a LHD). Not knowing where you are, I'm not entirely certain if this would be on your passenger or driver side - for me it is in the driver footwell, so I would assume that is true for everyone. Anyway, it is a cylinder with 3-5 wiring harnesses going into it.

That's where I would start. Next step would be NCS Expert, although my review of the E60 capabilities didn't reveal anything related to disabling notification noises - couldn't find an E39 list. Then I would go to the LCM. After that you need someone who can actually trace the issue. But if you've got visuals without noise, we can eliminate the bus signals and pretty much nail it down to either the LCM isn't sending the noise signal or the chime isn't making it - one of the two.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
You say, more likely is that the gong (aka chime module) has gone bad. This could also affect your low temperature warnings, PDC, and other LCM errors.

You might be onto something here.

Every time I launch ISTA, and the tree appears, the LM module is never green and is always a gold color with error fault code 009cc5 and 00a37d. I have not cracked the meaning of the error codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You say, more likely is that the gong (aka chime module) has gone bad. This could also affect your low temperature warnings, PDC, and other LCM errors.

You might be onto something here.

Every time I launch ISTA, and the tree appears, the LM module is never green and is always a gold color with error fault code 009cc5 and 00a37d. I have not cracked the meaning of the error codes.
I don't use ISTA, but it seems likely that if your LCM has an error code showing that it is probably related to the symptoms you are experiencing. I can tell you that my PDC started throwing error codes when I unplugged the gong. Perhaps unplugging your might give you different or new error codes in ISTA. If it doesn't, then I guess you have an idea what the error codes meant...

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts