1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
383 Posts
I remember reading about a test house in Switzerland that BMW was involved with. The cars had this system and they could control almost everything from the car. Even a robot lawn mower:)

I think there will be some good features in the very near future that will improve peoples lives, but mostly these systems will be gadget fests and have very short usage lives from people installing it.

I'm a bit of a gadget freek and have plyed with the X10 home automation stuff but even for me the real practicality was very limited, and soon other shiney things grabbed my attention.

Sacha...

·
Registered
816 Posts
There has to be a clear separation between those with technological vision from the engineering veiwpoint and those from just sheer gimmickery stuff. It adds nothing to the car as a mechnical driving machine. These gimmicks could easily be installed elsewhere in concept - such as your briefcase, or you mobile phone, or your TV - it has nothing to do with the car itself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is cool, that's for posting it.

I'm a home automation geek and I can't think of anything better than connecting my 2 hobbies (M5 and HA)!lovelove

Check out my website,

www.nicholstrio.net

for details on my HA system.

Gary

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
thats nice to know.. but isnt that too much technology?! is there someone going to use this technology? myself i dont think so

·
Registered
344 Posts
personally I don't think it's a problem. I imagine twenty years down the road you will be control half of the stuff at home when you are away, whehter integrate that into your cell, plam pilot, pocket pc or a car is a different story though. As for right now, it's probably not that useful, but as I don't mind it as a demonstration of concept. Personally I think it would be nice to be able to turn off the heat when you are at work(save utility bill), then turn on the heat 45 minutes before you arrive at your house, so it will start warm when you get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts