BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I’m considering buying turbine covers for my wheels to finish off my stock m5. I found 2 sets for sales on eBay. One used,one brand new, used set is 1600 new is 2200. Do u guys think I should just spend the money on the new or get the old ones and repaint? I’ve never seen a set in person so idk how hard it is to repaint them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The NEW Turbine covers on eBay are 4 right side covers (not 2 left and 2 right) and without the center caps.
The L&R covers and center caps are NLA.
IMHO, the covers are complicated and refurbishing should be done professionally.

·
Registered
590 Posts
FleaBay prices on Turbines are insane. I get that certain components are NLA, but c'mon, that price for an incomplete set is ridiculous.

$1600 used for covers alone is also steep, particularly if they are rough. The last few sets I've seen change hands personally were not perfect and were complete, for under $1k. My advice is to hold out if possible, or go the used route if you are in a hurry.

To add to m6bigdog's note, they are tricky to paint unless you are a semi-pro, and tricky to prep being magnesium. My apologies if you have all of that stuff figured out, but just want to make sure you know what is entailed with refinishing! It's certainly been done a bunch, but will add significantly either to your time or budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input. I actually didn’t notice the new ones are not 2right 2left. Thanks for that.

Ya I’m a decent painter but I don’t think I want to do these myself. I called around and there are a few wheel restoration shops willing to do them between $50-$80 a wheel.

I’m not in a huge hurry but I also don’t want to miss out an then not know when I’ll be able to get my hands on them again. I’m still thinking about it. Maybe I’ll make an offer on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
bmwLasvegas
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing