BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I’m considering buying turbine covers for my wheels to finish off my stock m5. I found 2 sets for sales on eBay. One used,one brand new, used set is 1600 new is 2200. Do u guys think I should just spend the money on the new or get the old ones and repaint? I’ve never seen a set in person so idk how hard it is to repaint them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The NEW Turbine covers on eBay are 4 right side covers (not 2 left and 2 right) and without the center caps.
The L&R covers and center caps are NLA.
IMHO, the covers are complicated and refurbishing should be done professionally.

·
Registered
593 Posts
FleaBay prices on Turbines are insane. I get that certain components are NLA, but c'mon, that price for an incomplete set is ridiculous.

$1600 used for covers alone is also steep, particularly if they are rough. The last few sets I've seen change hands personally were not perfect and were complete, for under $1k. My advice is to hold out if possible, or go the used route if you are in a hurry.

To add to m6bigdog's note, they are tricky to paint unless you are a semi-pro, and tricky to prep being magnesium. My apologies if you have all of that stuff figured out, but just want to make sure you know what is entailed with refinishing! It's certainly been done a bunch, but will add significantly either to your time or budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input. I actually didn’t notice the new ones are not 2right 2left. Thanks for that.

Ya I’m a decent painter but I don’t think I want to do these myself. I called around and there are a few wheel restoration shops willing to do them between $50-$80 a wheel.

I’m not in a huge hurry but I also don’t want to miss out an then not know when I’ll be able to get my hands on them again. I’m still thinking about it. Maybe I’ll make an offer on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys so I’m considering buying turbine covers for my wheels to finish off my stock m5. I found 2 sets for sales on eBay. One used,one brand new, used set is 1600 new is 2200. Do u guys think I should just spend the money on the new or get the old ones and repaint? I’ve never seen a set in person so idk how hard it is to repaint them.
Hi- I have a set of original barely used turbines I am getting ready to sell. I acquired them when I bought my '91 M5 in 1999. Kept them in storage / never used while I owned the car. Sitting in a box since my car was totaled a few years ago. Happy to send pics of you are still interested. Im in Seattle.

Apologies for the newbie status- my old login was not behaving as I have not been online in a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The last few sets I've seen change hands personally were not perfect and were complete, for under $1k. My advice is to hold out if possible, or go the used route if you are in a hurry.

To add to m6bigdog's note, they are tricky to paint unless you are a semi-pro, MyFirstPremierCard and tricky to prep being magnesium. My apologies if you have all of that stuff figured out, but just want to make sure you know what is entailed with refinishing!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just missed a complete set in auction in Japan at $900... I think some people are going way too far with the prices on E-Bay
Unfortunately, it is all about supply and demand.
When the turbine covers and M System rims were plentiful the M5 owners were replacing them with Throwing Star covers or aftermarket rims and they were cheap!!; popular sentiment was: the turbines looked like whitewalls and they were initially considered a eye sore.
I'm sure BMW would have continued to option the turbine covers if they would have received a fair reception.
Now that the turbine covers are recognized as a true authentic performance rims, the 17" performance Michelin tire is on its last leg (everyone wants 19's) and the turbine covers are practically NLA, the turbine covers and rims are at a premium.
That is life!!

In 1991, I purchased a full set of turbine rims with new MXX2 tires for $1200 (5 rims & tires - dealer take-off), from a tire shop. I never looked back because a set of MXX2's would cost that much.
I have purchased several other mint sets when the price was right, new rims and turbine covers when I wanted perfection, as I never wanted to run any other turbines on my M5.
I also run the turbines on my 850 using the special offset E-31 M system 1 rims.
I have at least 3 sets of M System rims and several sets of turbine covers in storage.
With the current demand and aggressive pricing I'm thinking of selling a set or two just to make space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what does the group think is the right price for a used set of turbine covers? Asking for a friend :)

My research (limited to ebay sold listings and a few local craigslist offers) saw rims with turbines selling for ~2,250 and naked wheels selling for ~1,250. My research on the cost new is ~$330 per wheel, but pricing on the parts ID was spotty and varied for R/L. I landed at a starting price of $1,100 + shipping... but if the rims are really selling @ 1800 including covers than who knows. Flame away or PM if interested. I will put a listing in the wanted with pictures as soon as I can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts