BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not want to start any drama with this thread and I do not want it to become a place for people to vent their frustrations about Jim and FAMS. There is another thread out there that has plenty of that going on.

With that out of the way, I have been saving up to purchase the FAMS tune because, based on what I have read, it is the best tune on the market. However, it seems that Jim may need a break to catch up with his current obligations. Is the FAMS tune significantly better than the other options out there (Active Autowerke, Dinan, ESS, or RPI)? Is it worth waiting for? If not, what is the next best alternative?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm running the Evolve tune, personally. I've no way to know if it's better or worse than the alternatives. I went with it because I was buying their headers... and this was before FAMS had headers or tune available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Do either of those do anything to the SMG?

I checked out the website for both and didn't see any mention on it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ask yourself what you want out of this 'tune'? Features like cold start delete, o2 readiness, speed limit removal, vanos timing, rpm increase, launch control, smg tweaking, etc.

If you're tri-state I would recommend TTFS (Had it on my M3, have FAM currently on my M5).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks cold m3. I am looking for those features. That's why I like FAMS the most. It's not so much about getting the extra power for me but more about making it more livable. If that makes sense. It's my daily so smoothing out the SMG and the cold start delete would be awesome. If Jim is the only tuner doing that without having to purchase multiple items (evolve) then I may just have to wait and hope he comes back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not going to go into this again and I sure as hell don't want to start another FAMS topic within this one. But it's quite simple, there's only one tune on top, and that's the FAMS. There is no other tune that does all the stuff that Jim's does. And don't be fooled; a lot of companies sell SMG3 tunes for the s85; but in fact it's only the EURO smg software that you're flashing on your USA smg. It's nowhere near Jim's tune and results. Trust me, I've got a euro SMG3; and the result is unbelievable. It's like a complete other gearbox. I've never really complained about it, because I knew what the SMG3 was about when I bought the car(I'm a BMW mechanic). SMG3 is already a big step forward coming from the SMG2(e46 m3 for example), but this is a huge improvement. It's smoother, it shifts differently and noticable better.

Car runs a lot better as well. F*cked up cold start is gone, VANOS made a HUGE improvement and the car has more torque in lower RPM's . VERY noticable.

I once drove a e60 m5 with Dinan tune, but it's quite uncomparable. It's like two completely different products. By the way; beware of going for the tune with the highest gains. A lot of tuners simply kick out the knock sensors. You really don't want to do that, even though you get 5-7 HP and some torque extra...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm certainly biased towards the FAMS tune based on what folks have written here about it. Hope Jim pulls through any/all difficulties successfully.

Otherwise I'm looking at the ecuworx or getting setup in matlab to work on the MPC555 that is used in the MSS65 (groan).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Gintani Catless Tune, I love it! My shifts have smoothed out, paired with RMS Fabrications headers and my other numerous mods I can definitely feel a power and torque increase in low/mid range RPMs. Its probably even higher in top end but I don't rev my car that high!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The FAMs tune is good. I had Dinan before and the FAMs was better. Putting aside my issues with FAMs on my engine build his tune is good. I’m running Gintani now. It’s very good too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If FAMS was not around I would go with Evolve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the Eurocharged tune on my E60 M5. ive always liked it. i havent really driven my car in the past few years that much so i cant speak to it as accurately these days. but back when i was driving it weekly, i loved it!
Interesting, did they do a dyno tune or just send you a file? There is a eurocharged franchise in Houston I went to for my RMS headers install and I saw they did s85 tuning but I had already ordered the FAMS tune at that point.

My experience with the houston franchise was less than inspiring but it's my understanding that the conpany/group has just one guy that does the tunes so that's a bit more reassuring. Did you have similar options to the FAMS tune in terms of cold start delete and vanos adjustments?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I reached out to Jim over at FAMS. He is still providing his wonderful tuning services but is taking a step back from the rest. I made the purchase today and he told me he is shipping it out today. He has been extremely helpful and responsive. I am very excited to get the tune!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts