BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the board. I have had my US/Canadian Spec e28 M5 for a couple of years now (I've driven it 12,000 Miles since I got it), and I want to get it tuned-properly.
The shop i will take it to are good, but I'd like some advice on what to do to get her totally tuned-up and make sure I am in top shape mechanically.

I am doing the usuall Cap, Rotor, Bosch Plugs, BMP Performance Ignition Wires, and a Nology M70 Ignition Coil. I am also changing every possible filter and fluid with redline, or BMW products. I have the shop doing a valve adjustment too - and a leak-down test hot/cold. Is a compression test neccessary?

My daily driver Corolla gave up on me, and the M5 will be my daily driver till the summer when the new daily driver arrives (I drive 400-500 miles a week) so I want to be sure she is happy while I put her to work for a couple of months!

After I ensure the M5 is in top mechanical shape, I'll do an R134 conversion (any ideas on what to expect as far as cost - etc My AC blows, but not cold at all anymore) then when I get my new daily driver, I'll do some period performance mods - Cam gear, chip, track pipes, maybe headers.

Thanks for any help folks -

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum .

Personally , if my E28 were to be my daily driver , then I would concentrate on simply having her well set up to stock / standard levels .

All of the measures that you mention , such as filters , HT leads etc and especially valve clearances should be beneficial , if not hugely noticable .

Good luck .......

D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely looking to get everything 100% as far as stock configuration, etc FIRST - before any mods. Any other ideas of what I have to check out to be sure I am up to spec?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
If you have a quick look at Raymond's thread of maintenance carried out over several years of ownership , you should get some idea of areas of significance .

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109670

I would consider the optimum combustion of fuel to be a priority in your case and would therefore focus on related areas , such as throttle bodies , air box etc

However , suspension , control arms , rear axle beam bushes etc also feature highly on my list of priorities .

Many owners also upgrade the brake system , with various available options .

D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty anal about the suspension bushings, etc. Going to do the Rear Subframe Bushings and Dogbones, along with the upper control arms when I have it in for the tune-up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
E28 Service Manuals

I have an 1988 E28 M5 US/Canadian Spec. Where can I find a service manual that covers everything including valve adjustments, and anything else I may need in the future.

Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts