BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying to get some exhaust but can't make up my mind...

I need help from N. VA, DC, and MD area fellow M5ers...

The sound clips from beastpower.com are OK but they were shot with different camera. And might not be justic to the exhaust systems.

I was wondering if the Captial group would like to get together sometime so that i can acutally hear these systems in person, that would be great!

Bobby
02 e39 Silver M5...
M5ABI: M5 America's Best Import...

B

·
0 Posts
M5ABI said:
I am dying to get some exhaust but can't make up my mind...

I need help from N. VA, DC, and MD area fellow M5ers...

The sound clips from beastpower.com are OK but they were shot with different camera. And might not be justic to the exhaust systems.

I was wondering if the Captial group would like to get together sometime so that i can acutally hear these systems in person, that would be great!

Bobby
02 e39 Silver M5...
M5ABI: M5 America's Best Import...
I have heard in person almost all exhausts that are available for the M5, and the sound clips that we have on www.beastpower.com are accurate representations of what one can expect. Obviously it is always nice to hear exhausts in person, but I believe these clips should give you 90% of reality.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't forget the Milteks ..

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I believe the concensus is..................

Kelleners exhaust for the meanest sounding exhaust tones
and Tubi for the more refined or tamer than Kelleners exhaust tone, but better sounding than your stock exhaust. Previous polls show these two names to be the front runners.
:hihi:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: I believe the concensus is..................

FAST 5 said:
Kelleners exhaust for the meanest sounding exhaust tones
and Tubi for the more refined or tamer than Kelleners exhaust tone, but better sounding than your stock exhaust. Previous polls show these two names to be the front runners.
:hihi:
Kelleners all the way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
BeastPower said:
I have heard in person almost all exhausts that are available for the M5, and the sound clips that we have on www.beastpower.com are accurate representations of what one can expect. Obviously it is always nice to hear exhausts in person, but I believe these clips should give you 90% of reality.

Cheers, Daniel.
Daniel,
I visited your website...nice job! The clips you have and video really gives me good sense of the different exhaust set ups. Now you have made me want a Supersprint exhoust! :M5rev:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Flame suit on but why put an Italian exhaust on a German car??
Because it sounds wonderful. Tubis sound a lot different than Supersprints. And even Supersprints sound different on different cars. :cool2: If you prefer the sound of the stock exhaust, so be it. Or get some Eisenmanns.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Double flame suit on...:) As a new M5 owner, I have to ask: do these exhausts add power, or it is just a different sound you are after?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have to ask: do these exhausts add power, or it is just a different sound you are after?
They supposedly add power (all Tubis are guaranteed to, I hear), but it's really not a significant amount if any. I bought them for the sound. :cool:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
rymansfla said:
I like how the guy coughs from the face full of exhaust hiha

I'm sold
To avoid that happening again, I recommend Hamann DTM exhaust! They face upwards so that shouldnt be a problem for the camera man! hahahahah

It happened to me as well, I was filming member BRN64666's exhaust as he revved it and all was fine, until we switched and he got the full grunt of toxic gasses and dust from my Supersprints!! hahahhahahaah

Its all on camera and will ask him to post it here! Its quite funny actually!

B

·
0 Posts
El_Mono said:
Don't forget the Milteks ..
As you may have recalled, the Millteks don't fit all that well. 5 hours for an exhaust install isn't typical.

Not sure if they're looked at it again, but from the gargantuan tips, and curious fit, not a job I would look forward to myself again.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Need4Spd said:
They supposedly add power (all Tubis are guaranteed to, I hear), but it's really not a significant amount. I bought them for the sound. :cool:
Some myths to blow out here.

Adding an aftermarket exhaust to the M5 has not been demonstrated to add any, zero, none, nada HP to the car. Yes I have seen the various ads, but no one here had clearly proved it.

That being said, I have had four different exhaust systems on my two M5's in 4 years. One of these everyone has had, OEM exhaust. The others, SS x-pipe with the OEM mufflers, B&B exhaust without the x-pipe and finally the Tubi exhaust which incorporates an x-pipe design as well.

Now, I have felt a difference, ever so slightly with the x-pipe installed and the OEM mufflers in place. The car responded with what I would call a sharper response. All the other systems did was add a different sound. The B&B was too loud into the cabin for my taste at all speeds. The Tubi is a farely refined sound, but you still know it is there even at idle ever so slightly in the background. It really comes into its own on full throttle.

Make no mistake, all of the aftermarket exhausts are louder than stock which is why you purchased them in the 1st place. They will get louder over time. My Tubi has increased a bit over time, but is nowhere near as loud as the B&B was brand new.

If you incorporated a set of headers then the exhaust change might make more sense from a performance standpoint, but by themselves, anyone who expects a noticeable increase in HP with just an exhaust change is just kidding themselves.

You may disagree with me, but this has been my experience so far. BTW - you will see a weight savings of about 25lbs. when you remove the OEM resonators and another 15 to 25lbs. when you replace the OEM mufflers. So a total savings of perhaps 50lbs. can be had. The aftermarket tips on the two exhausts I have had were also better looking in my opinion.

Mark

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
by themselves, anyone who expects a noticeable increase in HP with just an exhaust change is just kidding themselves
Yeah, I agree. Even if there is any increase, I'd bet it would at most be in the range of 5-10 hp at some rpm, which at barely over 1%, would not be noticeable in a 400 hp, 4000 lb. car. The weight savings might help some, but the car already has loads of torque so even that wouldn't be noticed that much. I do think that if something like Tubis with the built in x-pipe could sharpen response some (even then it may only be a perceived increase because you hear the exhaust more), then it's an added bonus, but really, the reason for getting aftermarket exhausts is so the car sounds cool. :cool: So conduct your listening test as you would audition stereo loudspeakers! :hihihi:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
when is someone going to make a titanium exhaust for the m5? GruppeM talked about it but i dont think they ever made it. The TI exhaust on my m3 made a huge difference...from 49 lbs to 17lbs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts