BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post, new to the board. Just had my tubi installed and its sounds great but have a few problems. My local BMW service center did the install and they would not weld anything. There is a leak just past the cats and also at the cans. Also there is vibration at the cross brace I think. Does anybody know who can weld the system in the chicago area. Also does the whole system need to come down to be welded. Besides the leaking and vibration the install looks very straight and well done. If welding is done when exhaust is on the car does anything need to be disconnected. Thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sounds like pretty standard stuff for the install. I can't help you with the welding reference in Illinois but what my installer did with the cross brace was literally bend it out of the way. It is still attached at both sides, just a little distorted :haha: . It actually needed to be adjusted once more after the install because the exhaust settled into place after a few hundred miles.

B

·
0 Posts
M5M5 said:
First time post, new to the board. Just had my tubi installed and its sounds great but have a few problems. My local BMW service center did the install and they would not weld anything. There is a leak just past the cats and also at the cans. Also there is vibration at the cross brace I think. Does anybody know who can weld the system in the chicago area. Also does the whole system need to come down to be welded. Besides the leaking and vibration the install looks very straight and well done. If welding is done when exhaust is on the car does anything need to be disconnected. Thanks
Welcome to the board. The following are things to note with the Tubi:
  • When new, smoke will come from the Tubi tips for the first couple of hundred miles (this is normal).

[*]When new, a foul smell will come from the Tubi for the first couple of hundred miles (this is normal).
    [*]When the engine is cold and in idling, the Tubi decible level is higher.
    [*]The SES light can light-up if there are leaks due to non-welding or imperfect welding (we recommend a good quality TIG welder). However, clamping of the muffler section is normally fine.
    [*]Rattles occur from the cross brace if the alignment is off.
    [*]Rattles occur from the differential if the alignment is off.
    [*]Rattles occur from the heat shield around the length of the Tubi if the alignment is significantly off.
    [*]The Tubi comes with 6 stainless steel nuts to attach the 2 mufflers to the factory muffler mounting points/heat shields. This allows the Tubi to be adjusted for desired tip protrusion. Most other aftermarket exhausts come with these 6 nuts already welded to the mounting brackets.
Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with leaks at the cats, so the shop welding them, and yes they had to drop the whole exhaust system to weld it. I also had some rattling in the back, like chattering teeth when the car warmed up. It was one of the rubber brackets that hold the muffle in place. It was installed backwards and a metal piece on the bracket would chatter when the rubber warmed up. Now everything is tiptop!! Just brought my beast in for Inspection I and the tech commented on the nice exhaust and how BMW should of done it the tubi way from the start.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You should be able to get a good seal with just clamps. They will loosen after the first couple of heat/cold cycles. Just tighten them up and they shouldn't come loose again. You can also try to get a muffler shop to put some high temp sealant in the joints and then tighten the clamps.

The cross brace is a problem. A guy who does Tubi installs on Ferraris just shrugs his shoulders and explains, "hey, it's Italian, not German!" The brackets for the cross brace mount come from Tubi welded in the wrong place; at least for my car. They were too far forward. You'll see that the Tubis very near the cross brace are necked down for clearance but with the bracket too far forward, the necked down portion isn't lined up with the cross brace, so there's touching and vibration transfer. What I did was have a shop remove the brace and put it in a hydraulic press. The brace has two raised ridges in it to add stiffness to the part. We crushed the forward-most ridge down and this was just enough to clear. Over time, the rubber mounts will probably settle and close up this clearance. At that time you can either replace the mounts or add washers on top of it to raise up the Tubi from the brace again. I would NOT have a shop unweld the bracket and move it, even though that should be the sensible solution, as I don't trust your average muffler shop with stainless steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts