BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may have seen, Beastpower has dropped the price on the Tubi cat back system and it appears to be a great value.
Before I take the plunge and since I have never personally heard the Tubi (other than sound clips), can any current owners chime in and tell me their LEAST favorite things about Tubi. From past threads, I understand there are many Tubi fans as well as the preowned Tubis seem to fly off the classified board in a matter of a day.

Also, if anyone has had various different exhausts on a M5, I would appreciate your feedback.
As always, thanks for keeping this amazing board going strong.

TripleD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
I think that the SS and the tubi's are the most loved here on the board overall.

The kelleners crew loves their exhausts as well but because of the volume level of the exhaust its a second favorite among the board members.

Seaching "TUBI" would more than certainly bring up alot of posts on the exhaust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
TripleD,

Lets see, how can I put this? BUY THEM!!!!!! You will not be disappointed. The only downside and a small one at that, would be the smell for the first 100 miles. It does go away after that.

I had the SS x-pipe which I really liked with the OEM mufflers. This is the least expensive way to upgrade the exhaust. You do not need an x-pipe with the Tubi because it has the design already incorporated.

I had the B&B exhaust which was way more feedback into the cabin than I was looking for. You can hear the Tubi inside the car on hard acceleration, but other wise it is just a faint sound. It will get louder over time like most exhausts, but certainly a nice Ferrari like note. The real downside is that you do not get to experience the sound from behind the car!

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
I had a Triflo exhaust, installed by the prior owner, before swapping it out for the Tubi. The Triflo really ripped when you got on it, but I found it a bit too loud at low rpm (i.e., when I didn't want it to be loud). The Tubi doesn't have this issue. There's absolutely no low rpm resonance. As you probably know, Tubi is relatively quiet compared to some other setups, especially those where the OE resonator is replaced with an x-pipe. But it sounds perfect to my ears.

You asked about least favorite things re: Tubi, but I have nothing to report. I am 100% pleased with everything about it, and it's probably my favorite mod. If I had to think of something negative, it would be cost. I bought mine from a fellow board member who hadn't installed it, but they're pricey if purchased new. Labor for my installation was 4.5 hours. You'll want to find a shop that will take the time to test fit everything and TIG weld the Tubi just behind the cats. My shop also had to fiddle with the right side can; that side came a little too long from the mfr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
I bought my TUBI from Daniel at BeastPower six months ago and I love it more each time I start it up.
The only issue I had was the installation was a little more difficult tan expected.The installer had to rework the TUBI x-pipe to get it properly aligned.
Not a big deal, but it did cost an extra 1.5hrs labor.


tripleD said:
As many of you may have seen, Beastpower has dropped the price on the Tubi cat back system and it appears to be a great value.
Before I take the plunge and since I have never personally heard the Tubi (other than sound clips), can any current owners chime in and tell me their LEAST favorite things about Tubi. From past threads, I understand there are many Tubi fans as well as the preowned Tubis seem to fly off the classified board in a matter of a day.

Also, if anyone has had various different exhausts on a M5, I would appreciate your feedback.
As always, thanks for keeping this amazing board going strong.

TripleD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MAH,

Your post literally cracked me up! My assistant just asked me what was so funny that I laughed so hard out loud.
Thanks to everyone for their input and keep it coming for others that may want to know. I am calling Daniel as we speak to order!

TripleD

MAH said:
TripleD,

Lets see, how can I put this? BUY THEM!!!!!! You will not be disappointed. The only downside and a small one at that, would be the smell for the first 100 miles. It does go away after that.

I had the SS x-pipe which I really liked with the OEM mufflers. This is the least expensive way to upgrade the exhaust. You do not need an x-pipe with the Tubi because it has the design already incorporated.

I had the B&B exhaust which was way more feedback into the cabin than I was looking for. You can hear the Tubi inside the car on hard acceleration, but other wise it is just a faint sound. It will get louder over time like most exhausts, but certainly a nice Ferrari like note. The real downside is that you do not get to experience the sound from behind the car!

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
tripleD said:
MAH,

Your post literally cracked me up! My assistant just asked me what was so funny that I laughed so hard out loud.
Thanks to everyone for their input and keep it coming for others that may want to know. I am calling Daniel as we speak to order!

TripleD
TripleD,

Glade I could be of some comic relief help. :biggrin: . You will be very happy with your purchase.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
The enthusiasm of this board about the Tubi's along with all that I've read made me jump out and purchase a set from Beastpower right away. First mod coming up.... Love those Group Buys....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
tripleD said:
As many of you may have seen, Beastpower has dropped the price on the Tubi cat back system and it appears to be a great value.
Before I take the plunge and since I have never personally heard the Tubi (other than sound clips), can any current owners chime in and tell me their LEAST favorite things about Tubi. From past threads, I understand there are many Tubi fans as well as the preowned Tubis seem to fly off the classified board in a matter of a day.

Also, if anyone has had various different exhausts on a M5, I would appreciate your feedback.
As always, thanks for keeping this amazing board going strong.

TripleD
TripleD, just put the Dinan exhaust on last week. If you have not bought the Tubi exhaust you can listen to the Dinan. Best John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
How do the Tubis compare to the Supersprint w Xpipe in terms of volume and tone? :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I am guessing for everyone this is strictly a sound mod - didn't hear much on improved power at all ?

So the x-pipe is built in with the Tubi? What effect would an x-pipe have on a stock system? More noise?

Where is the group buy on the Tubi's?

Isn't there a newer version that is louder on the way also?

Daniel?

-Jeff
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, my main questions were solely based on sound. Here is the link for group buy. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47442

TripleD


Nolift911 said:
I am guessing for everyone this is strictly a sound mod - didn't hear much on improved power at all ?

So the x-pipe is built in with the Tubi? What effect would an x-pipe have on a stock system? More noise?

Where is the group buy on the Tubi's?

Isn't there a newer version that is louder on the way also?

Daniel?

-Jeff
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
Nolift911 said:
I am guessing for everyone this is strictly a sound mod - didn't hear much on improved power at all ?

So the x-pipe is built in with the Tubi? What effect would an x-pipe have on a stock system? More noise?

Where is the group buy on the Tubi's?

Isn't there a newer version that is louder on the way also?

Daniel?

-Jeff
[email protected]
Jeff,

The x-pipe will "open up" the OEM exhaust a bit. You will get a burble sound on deacceleration in gear and the niose does increase on acceleration. As a side note, I did feel that the car was a bit quicker and I saw an increase in fuel economy. I did add the AA CAI after I added the x-pipe to the OEM exhaust which furthered both the items I just mentioned even further. Can this be measured on the dyno? Perhaps a little with the x-pipe, but not the CAI.

BTW - My Tubi exhaust has gotten louder over time. You may want to rethink the louder version for the long haul.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
tripleD said:
Also, if anyone has had various different exhausts on a M5, I would appreciate your feedback.
My Tubi Exhaust (through Group Buy) should be arriving soon. I was curious what most of you have done with the factory catback exhaust system. Do you keep it? Sell it? Toss it?

I don't foresee any need for me, or a subsequent owner for that matter, to reinstall the system. I ended up keeping my e36 M3 OEM system, and just gave it to the next owner, but it was kind of a waste of space.

Any thoughts appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Yeah, I'd be a bit careful here if you do high mileage. I've had my Tubi on for about 20K miles and although it is sensational when you are in the mood for it and, in particular, when you are driving in confined spaces, it does drone a bit on long runs. I don't regret getting it, but there if you are just using the car as transport, the extra noise can become irritating. That said, I regularly get the thumbs up from truck drivers and taxis!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Congrats on a wise buy! I purchased the Tubi for my beast a few months back and I couldnt be happier! I think that you will also enjoy the sound and build quality.

It's really hard to put into words how good the Tubi really sounds, I have heard the Eisenmann and the SS. Don't get me wrong they sound awesome but the Tubi sounds Exotic. It dosen't sound like an american muscle car nor does it sound like a Japanese car. It's really in a class by itself. When comparing other M5 exhaust.

The only problem I had was the install, after reading previous post I decided to have it welded, but I guess the weld wasn't that good so had to go back to have it re-welded.


Regards,

Marion/Mvious
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Nolift911 said:
Isn't there a newer version that is louder on the way also?
Yup, it is expected in 2-3 months, and more information is available in th Tubi GB thread.

Cheers, Daniel

PS Out of the 8 Tubis that came in from Italy, we have already sold 5 units. Only 3 are left, and it is likely to be 2-3 months before additional Tubis are available in the US.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
BP,

what are the supposed characteristics on the new louder version tubis? Any idea?
The only difference is in the sound level. I will post sound clips when they are available (could be a couple of months away).

If anyone is interested in pre-ordering a louder version, let me know, as only 2 or so units are coming into the US in approximately 2-3 months, and more units will only come in after we get verified market interest.

Cheers, Daniel.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top