BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a '00 M5 imported to the US from Canada, and per customs rules the speedo needs to be converted from km/h to mph. I'm trying to avoid switching out the entire speedo cluster in efforts to preserve both the cars originality and my wallet, and have the idea of printing out a MPH faceplate on a material like vinyl that I can lay over the existing gauge.

I don't have access to the car right now. Is someone able to tell me the diameter of their kmh speedo and perhaps measure the angles where 20 and 300 km/h sit from vertical so I can use as reference points?

Any other ideas, tips, or experiences are appreciated. Look forward to joining the club.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
My M5 had a US clock set with grey dials. I bought one with black dials and the repair shop who repaired my robbon cable swapped the dials at no cost. Maybe do something similar and bulletproof your ribbon cable at the same time. Now I want to find a black UK set with MPH and Celsius oil temperature.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
My M5 had a US clock set with grey dials. I bought one with black dials and the repair shop who repaired my robbon cable swapped the dials at no cost. Maybe do something similar and bulletproof your ribbon cable at the same time. Now I want to find a black UK set with MPH and Celsius oil temperature.

Don't think they were made that way. The board containing the gauge faces is a single board. So it was printed with either European markings U.S. markings. It is not like swapping gauge faces.

I would check with Blackknight530i as he is as familiar as anyone with these clusters.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Don't think they were made that way. The board containing the gauge faces is a single board. So it was printed with either European markings U.S. markings. It is not like swapping gauge faces.

I would check with Blackknight530i as he is as familiar as anyone with these clusters.

Regards,
Jerry
Actually, the UK did get clusters with MPH and Celcius for temps. They are actually marked UK under the speedo gauge, where our US ones have a US printed there. The UK also had black faces as early as 98 I believe, so more of them available.

If someone finds one with black faces and bad pixels, send it to me and I can install them on one of the new design clusters that doesn't suffer from pixel failures. It will be mileage corrected and coded to your car.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Actually, the UK did get clusters with MPH and Celcius for temps. They are actually marked UK under the speedo gauge, where our US ones have a US printed there. The UK also had black faces as early as 98 I believe, so more of them available.

If someone finds one with black faces and bad pixels, send it to me and I can install them on one of the new design clusters that doesn't suffer from pixel failures. It will be mileage corrected and coded to your car.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a black UK/mph set in years. When I do and if I get it, I'll be in touch with you. My ribbon cable has already been remedied but you can do the swap.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi Joshiah & Blackknight!

Josiah - I have two UK Black face M5 clusters sitting in my E39 goodies storage and I'm willing to work out a deal for you - your wait is over :) - drop me a PM !

Blackknight - I know you had a forum post either here on on the bimmerforums channel, but I can't find it! Do I recall that you can have Black Face (or any other colour) high quality faces printed? or am I just imagining that? I do have one of my industry level contacts who can make custom high quality faces, I believe they do stuff for Lotus the last time I spoke to them. I will find out more.

Youngbreezy - Your idea is decent, but the quality won't be good nor will it last too long if you use vinyl. With the heat of the dash area and cabin temperatures especially if you live in a hotter summer area (LA I know gets very hot in summer!) the vinyl will likely peel or bubble quite quickly. Also, you'd need to get a vinyl that is translucent enough. I will get in touch with the contact I have here who are able to make automotive grade cluster faces/overlays and update.

I have the 'Police' clocks/overlay in my car and a spare set of them as well, toying with the idea of having a custom set done (if the place can do it of course!) in a different colour !

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts