BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires on the OEM wheels and was thinking about tossing an extra grand for these wheels and Pirelli tires... however I realize they are cast, heavy, and cheap... maybe not the right thing to do to my M5? I do like the look though... Any opinions?

Attachments

·
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's up to you if you dont care about performance {weight} then they look good.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
too heavy, but look cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW they weigh about 36 lbs. each. How much do the stock wheels weigh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about these? Only 25lbs. each...

Attachments

·
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I would say do not do it. The M5 weighs 4200 lbs and has big power therefore you need a high performance wheel compatible to the M5.

You must go w/ a forged product. Cheap turns out to be expensive later.

As a monoblock forged wheel check out the RAC monolites. Their weights equal or are lower than the Dinan's and are infinitely better looking.
Also the NEEZ QD7 are beautiful one piece wheels.

You can't go wrong w/ HRE for multi-piece wheels w/ a hugh selection of styles. The Competition series are their lightest wheels.

Quality costs, what can we do.

Good luck, M5Ranger

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice I guess its pretty much consensus here. I think I will keep the stocks and space them with some H&R springs for now.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Thanks for the advice I guess its pretty much consensus here. I think I will keep the stocks and space them with some H&R springs for now.
thats what I did...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would say do not do it. The M5 weighs 4200 lbs and has big power therefore you need a high performance wheel compatible to the M5.

You must go w/ a forged product. Cheap turns out to be expensive later.

What? That is a load of bollocks sorry.

The fact is on a 4000+ lb car, 10 lbs a wheel isn't going to make a noticeable difference, especially on street driving. The performance advantage is negligible. This notion that "cheap turns out to be expensive later" is rubbish. Any of the name brand cast wheels (BBS, Breyton, Hartge, etc etc) are JIS or TUV approved and are completely suitable to the M5's weight and performance potential. Bottom line: Go for the looks you like, if the wheels are a little on the heavy side who cares?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
e6tme if you want to run on heavy cast wheels that is your right.
Anyone w/ a passion for motorsports would desire the best for their cars.
All my cars are daily drivers but they treated like the high performance machines they are.
I would believe that you are in the minority w/ what you'd want for your M5.
Just my opinion and 2 cents (which I had to borrow).

M5Ranger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts