BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just started having a vibration in my LSx E39 touring at and above 60MPH. It shakes the whole car including the steering wheel. I can look at the passenger seat and see it shaking pretty hard and if I let go of the wheel, it will also shake from side to side a bit. Nothing has changed in the car recently. I did get new Continental DW's a few months ago but it started well after that.

The only things I can come up with are tire air pressure which I will check when I get home, wheel balance which I am not sure why it would just start out of nowhere, center bolt could be loose in the driveshaft as I don't recall really torquing that down or lastly, the M5 C/V axle. Normally I wouldn't think the axle could cause this much vibration but I got under the car this past weekend and noticed grease has been slung in a line completely around the axle near where it meets the diff flange. No odd noises etc but I also feel a little more side to side travel in the suspension (tracking). I will add some photos of the axle I took when I get home (can't access flickr at work).

Could a bad c/v axle be causing this or should I be looking elsewhere? I am going to try and drop the exhaust this weekend to inspect the driveshaft but not getting any clunking etc under hard launches, normal load, letting off the throttle etc. It's very odd and it doesn't go away at 80+ either. It only seems to get worse the faster it goes.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I don't recall reading about this in the magazine article :eek: :rofl:

It may or may not be the axle but the oil flung from the axle is not good news and should be addressed because once the grease goes from the CV joint it is on borrowed time.

The only real option is to start looking at everything that is speed related and the driveshaft is as good a place as any. If the center bolt loosened up you wouldn't necessarily get any clunking noises until it was completely out but it could set up a very nasty harmonic as the halves start sliding back and forth - not a good thing.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that it is something in the front end so I would check that out as well. What happens when you apply the brakes?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lololol.

I will definitely look at the DS this weekend. Braking doesn't seem to change or affect the issue at all.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will check that first this weekend. That stuff looks far too thick to be diff oil and appears to have come from where the C/V flange bolts to the diff output flange but it certainly can't hurt to be sure. That would be a bummer if the diff were dry. If that looks ok, I will pull the exhaust so I can inspect the driveshaft. Might as well pull that C/V to have a look as well.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
If it shakes the steering wheel it's likely front end. Check the rims for missing balance weights. Seems to me lately tire shops are using crappy double-sided tape on the weights.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you done a visual inspection of the front lower tie bar bushing? If thats bad it would cause similar sympthoms..i just replaced mine and the steering is alot better now and no shaking in the steering wheel either.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have a look at everything this weekend. My mechanic friend was in town from FL this past week and he got a chance to ride in and drive the car and absolutely felt it was coming from the rear. The liftgate will even shake some when it happens. But I know sometimes issues like this can be hard to determine the point of origin. Just so odd that it started when nothing else had been done to the car. I will also inspect for missing weights as that should be obvious.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sounds like you may have bent a rim. I'd have the wheels balanced and if one of them don't balance, its bent.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the wheels/tires to get balanced today and vibration is gone! They said the place that did them before did a horrible job.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Took the wheels/tires to get balanced today and vibration is gone! They said the place that did them before did a horrible job.
Glad you got that fixed. Important lesson to be learned here: always check the most obvious first, and if you change something and shortly thereafter a problem arises, first consider that thing that you just changed.

OK, that's two lessons. :D

But seriously, if you get new tires and have a vibration issue, it's probably the tires. If you get a new battery and the car won't start, it's probably the battery. Just because it's new doesn't mean that it's without fault.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt. I just found it odd that the vibration started a few months after I got new tires. I parked the car one day after it had no vibration. Next time I drove it, it was terrible. And then I found the grease thrown from the C/V axle. Which I still need to address as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it shakes the steering wheel it's likely front end. Check the rims for missing balance weights. Seems to me lately tire shops are using crappy double-sided tape on the weights.
I think 68FB was spot on here. If the vibration just started up one day out of nowhere and was fixed by balancing, my guess is that some wheel weights fell off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts