BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Team M5,

Thought I would share a new project I am working on. Installing a new clutch and thought I would share what I am going with:
1) JB Racing Aluminum Single Mass Flywheel
2) South Bend Stage 3 Endurance Pressure Plate and Clutch

Will also install all new parts in the bell housing and a few goodies. Should be driving in by tomorrow or Thursday and will report back.

As a side note, I did find that:
- The previous shop had not installed the center bearing properly. It was loaded up at an angle.
- The clutch line was torn and leaking
- The transmission Mount was torn
- The shifter housing was completely shot

This is a new car to me so I am finding lots of exciting stuff :)

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Keen to hear about the aluminium fly wheel. I recently went chrome molly single mass, and that made the car quite a bit more rev happy. Can only imagine how responsive an aluminium would be.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I am also interested to hear how responsive it is, but also curious to hear how noisy it is at idle and such. Please post videos when possible.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Subscribed. I just bought the same clutch and a new stock flywheel. Was also looking at the JB flywheeel but chickened out.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Subscribed. I just bought the same clutch and a new stock flywheel. Was also looking at the JB flywheeel but chickened out.
Im sure you will love the SB Endurance Stage 3 Clutch Kit. Im not supercharged, and dont plan on it, but I ended up getting the SB Endurance Stage 2 setup with a lightened Dual Mass FW and like it a lot. I came from a CNS 10.5" kit, so I really likeed the positive engagement it had. The SB Stage 2 feels more stockish with a little more bite. I hear the Stage 3 might be more of what I wanted, having very positive engagement, but still very drivable around town once you get used to it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will Do!

Should have the Beast back on the road by Friday. Will take a pre-break-in video and then monitor from there. This setup will be abused on the track so I plan to evaluate it as a mod specific for road course racing.

My biggest concern at this point is the effects of heat expansion on the different metals (aluminum flywheel vs. steel PP) especially because JB Racing does not want you to use loc-tite due to the helicoils. So... hopefully I don't have an issue with PP bolts backing out like I have seen on some other Aluminum Flywheel applications used on road courses.

Oh, and I expect it to be noisy. I am not worried about the sounds it makes :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, first update at 40 miles in:

Pedal Feel - Awesome. Very firm which is what I wanted but would be rough for someone that sits in a lot of traffic.
Clutch engagement - Good. Keep in mind the kit won't be broken in until 500 miles but as of right now, the engagement point seems right and it is not overly difficult to keep things smooth. At 500 I will give it some full throttle pulls and see how it does :)
Flywheel - I can tell that it is 13lbs. The motor revs much faster when I blip the throttle.
Noise: As expected, this setup is very loud. At idle the gear lash is audible in the car and when driving the drivetrain / transmission seems a noisier as well. I will play with the tranny fluid a bit to see if that helps but the car does have AKG motor mounts and fairly solid transmission mounts so those are both contributing factors.

I will post videos as soon as I have a chance to record and upload.

Cheers!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does it rattle when you pull out slow or at low rpm in 2nd?
It does - depending on throttle application and RPM. I have not been able to play with it much due to break-in and I imagine some of it would not be audible if I could drive the way I wanted.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
It does - depending on throttle application and RPM. I have not been able to play with it much due to break-in and I imagine some of it would not be audible if I could drive the way I wanted.
yeah i had a 15lb dinan single mass fw installed for a while and though i was able to eliminate 90% of the idle noise with heavier fluid and increased idle the rattle when pulling out slow drove me nuts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car has a stock tune at the moment but once I chase down one or two more maintenance items I am planning to get a tune that will raise idle slightly, eliminate MAFs, etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you like the AKG motor mounts? I have not yet been able to test mine out!

--Peter

I really like them. They are definitely noticeable - you can just feel the power running through the car. I have mine tightened down all the way but with the Nyloc nuts you can loosen things up a bit which helps.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I really like them. They are definitely noticeable - you can just feel the power running through the car. I have mine tightened down all the way but with the Nyloc nuts you can loosen things up a bit which helps.
What do they need help with? If you loosen them up doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
how much increase in vibration/nvh did you get with them? also which ones are you running, the 95d or the 75's?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts