BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today I leased a 2010 Targa4S for 24 month on some Porsche special they are having as they prepare for the new model. I figure I might as well give it a try and see what all the Porsche hype is about while waiting for the next M6. Honestly I am a BMW guy through and through so its tough to switch camps on the car front and give another company a try but I pulled the trigger to my wifes complete disagreement (we have a Cayenne TT on order).

So having owned some of the best that BMW has to offer I will do a preliminary comparison with only 100km on it.

1) I love the 6speed manual in Porsche - smooth as butter.
2) The seats are the comfy ones and after a while they start to feel not so comfy :).
3) This is a sports car and not a GT like the M6 or M5 - it really is sporty.
4) The looks are stunning and I can't believe the number of people that stare and comment on the glass roof.
5) Coming from the 135cab (best money can offer) I have to admit that the BMW Nav+Interface is easier so use then Porsches at first.
6) Buying off the lot has its draw backs - I am addicted to Satellite Radio and thought I could retrofit it but at the last minute they said its the external until (not integrated) so I took the car anyways - pretty unhappy about that; I have a feeling that will eventually piss me off big time!
7) Porsche babies you while buying the car. It was a very enjoyable and easy experience.
8) The Targa dome is very cool especially in Winter since the CAB top is not coming down - adds a ton of light into the car.
9) Nothing compares to the a V10 and I actually think the 135 engine is pretty sweet too.
10) The way they squeezed the engine in the back is incredible - wow.
11) This car is light and it just wants to fly.
12) Drove it in snow today with summer rubber on and it was good until I had to stop - amazing.
13) I like all the dials infront of me - pretty neat jet fighter experience.

This was impulse decision and my wife asked me today - "so, do you love it?" I responded - "I am not sure yet, I may have been more obsessed with idea of owning one (a Targa/Porsche) and knowing what it is all about". Will share more with you as time goes on. I am going to give it a few months and see how I feel. I hope they release a retrofit for PCM 3.0 really fast because I can't go without Satellite radio and I hate the look of the external unit. I never realized how the little things can piss me off - learning now!

TTYL...Thanks for listening.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats... I see your local from Toronto so I thought I would share with you that I have a guy who can retrofit the Sat radio into the OEM unit. So you wouldn't need an external unit sitting on the dash or wherever you may place it.

Let me know if your interested.

Btw, do you mind if I ask what the deal was? 24 month leases can be super expensive...what was the total due on signing and whats the monthly payment? (feel free to PM me if you dont want to share with the entire forum).

congrats again

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have always wondered what the deal is with porsche. I'm sure one of these days, I will be purchasing one of their cars like you have done. Please let us know your thoughts on this car. It will be interested to hear any likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I've never had a chance to seriously drive a 911, but they have always intrigued me. Btw, good choice with the Targa 4s! This is most likely the model I would choose if I were purchasing a 911 myself.

Any interior shots?

afc1

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always wondered what the deal is with porsche. I'm sure one of these days, I will be purchasing one of their cars like you have done. Please let us know your thoughts on this car. It will be interested to hear any likes/dislikes.
Same here.. I will definitely let you know. One thing for sure, I can't stop thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the purchase! I've never had a chance to seriously drive a 911, but they have always intrigued me. Btw, good choice with the Targa 4s! This is most likely the model I would choose if I were purchasing a 911 myself.

Any interior shots?

afc1
Coming.. will do a nice interior setup this weekend. Have not had that much time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That will be my next car, but a vert since the beast is a coupe. I will be looking at your thoughts on it for sure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That will be my next car, but a vert since the beast is a coupe. I will be looking at your thoughts on it for sure.
Well this afternoon I got to open it up and I was smiling from cheek to cheek. The transmission is so responsive and it just goes and handles superbly. The seats are a little hard but I hope to get use to that. I don't like how the NAV is down low; you have to take your eyes off the road to interact and its a little unsafe. Outside of that the Targa glass is incredible - I want a louder exhaust! Today I ordered winters and spacers. More pictures coming over the weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I've always been intrigued with porsches and a coworker just purchased a 997 carrera s, so I will be following this thread with great interest.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Congrats buddy!

Nice cars those Porsches. I bet you're loving that steering feel aren't you?!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just a quick update. The car gets tons of looks and attention - quite amazing as I thought a silver Targa would be kind of undercover. The other day I was pulling out of the garage and two kids (brothers) broke away from their parents to hang on to the railing so they could watch me go up the garage ramp (I waived and they smiled). The responsiveness of this car is sublime and the steering almost talks to you. The 6 speed throws are crisp and on next Wednesday I am getting short shifter installed for even closer gates. Compared to the new BMW Idrive (Hard Drive one) Porsche's new system is not as easy or intuitive - the multifunction buttons/wheel really stinks :).

When pushing the car I can't tell if its engine or exhaust noise so getting a muffler addon that is suppose to help intoxicate. The Turbo II RIMS are hottest thing I have ever seen next to the OEM M6. There something about a Porsche makes it feel like its "your" car in a way that I have never felt before in another ride. It makes you work to get the excitement out of it.. it is happy to cruise or be pushed not asking for either more then the other. Like the "M" button there is a "Sport" button on the Porsche and it is a MASSIVE difference - almost a different car turning into a pouncing tiger and the engine blips are just wonderful.

Today I was in the 135i cab and the Targa in the same day and I must commend BMW that 1er is pretty capable and fun for less then half the price of the Porsche - I am sure it even packs more technology. It will be hard to part from the 1 series since it is also such a great car and an amazing "all arounder" giving you space, open air, technology, and comfort/sport whenever your request. With the Cayenne TT on the way we have some decisions to make in the next few months.

TTYL and Pictures coming this weekend...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Today I leased a 2010 Targa4S for 24 month on some Porsche special they are having as they prepare for the new model. I figure I might as well give it a try and see what all the Porsche hype is about while waiting for the next M6. Honestly I am a BMW guy through and through so its tough to switch camps on the car front and give another company a try but I pulled the trigger to my wifes complete disagreement (we have a Cayenne TT on order).

So having owned some of the best that BMW has to offer I will do a preliminary comparison with only 100km on it.

1) I love the 6speed manual in Porsche - smooth as butter.
2) The seats are the comfy ones and after a while they start to feel not so comfy :).
3) This is a sports car and not a GT like the M6 or M5 - it really is sporty.
4) The looks are stunning and I can't believe the number of people that stare and comment on the glass roof.
5) Coming from the 135cab (best money can offer) I have to admit that the BMW Nav+Interface is easier so use then Porsches at first.
6) Buying off the lot has its draw backs - I am addicted to Satellite Radio and thought I could retrofit it but at the last minute they said its the external until (not integrated) so I took the car anyways - pretty unhappy about that; I have a feeling that will eventually piss me off big time!
7) Porsche babies you while buying the car. It was a very enjoyable and easy experience.
8) The Targa dome is very cool especially in Winter since the CAB top is not coming down - adds a ton of light into the car.
9) Nothing compares to the a V10 and I actually think the 135 engine is pretty sweet too.
10) The way they squeezed the engine in the back is incredible - wow.
11) This car is light and it just wants to fly.
12) Drove it in snow today with summer rubber on and it was good until I had to stop - amazing.
13) I like all the dials infront of me - pretty neat jet fighter experience.

This was impulse decision and my wife asked me today - "so, do you love it?" I responded - "I am not sure yet, I may have been more obsessed with idea of owning one (a Targa/Porsche) and knowing what it is all about". Will share more with you as time goes on. I am going to give it a few months and see how I feel. I hope they release a retrofit for PCM 3.0 really fast because I can't go without Satellite radio and I hate the look of the external unit. I never realized how the little things can piss me off - learning now!

TTYL...Thanks for listening.

Joe
Also from the GTA Oakville my Winter Driver is a 6 speed manual Chayene GTS great SUV just got my 07 m6 cab from California. have not even driven it yet wondering about SMG trans sounds like paddle shifting is the answer? I am doing the reverse going fro Porsche to BMX.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts