BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is pretty much stock outside of the brake duct cooling and aftermarket brake rotors and pads. I was doing quite a bit of autocrossing and track stuff on the stock wheels and the setup works well. I have grown used to this now.

However, I have been getting a little nervous using my stock wheels for all of these events. I know that they are plenty strong, but I just thought I could save them from getting nicked up so much.

I figured I would look for a reasonable set of tires for track use, but also maybe get another set of wheels for track use. I know, it is a slippery slope. I heard so much about using the same size wheel all around as a great setup so I went with this. However, I went a different direction with the wheels. The wheels didn't need to be pretty.

There was group by on Bimmer forums for the Apex ARC-8 wheel. I was actually able to get them member Fast ///M along with some spacers for fitment. A few specifications:

1.) 17"x9"
2.) 17 lbs each
3.) Fit over the stock brakes (they also fit over the Brembo brake setup on Fast ///M's car)
4.) Designed for E36 in terms of offset so if it really doesn't work out, could sell to E36 track enthusiast.

For the wheels, I thought I would try a fairly new tire that came out from Nitto, the NT 05. It seemed fairly reasonable in price and with the square setup on all four corners, I could rotate the front to rear wheels in between events. The wheels are 275/40-17. They look like they have a pretty sizeable tread pattern. They actually fell pretty good on the street. With the taller sidewall, I wasn't sure how much the steering response would change. So far it feels very good.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tire (borrowed from Discount Tire).

nithz1_shd.jpg

nithz1_trd.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the wheels on my car.

My car is the second car in.

I will be headed to Road America in a couple of weeks. I'll give an update on how they workout.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Nitto NT-05 on the rear of my car right now. I plan to get a set of fronts later on and run the 18x9.5 all around on 265/35-18.

These Apex wheels look very nice and I can certainly understand the approach of going to 17's- why spend the extra $ on 18's when you can get away with 17's. Tires get eaten up pretty fast on the track (especially with a soft stock suspension), so saving $ on tires, while still selecting a quality tire, is a wise idea.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That looks like a great track setup. What size spacers F/R did you need? I'd love to save ~10lbs per wheel over my 17x8.5 Rondel wheels.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So howd they do!? What is your review of the setup? I'm looking into getting a track set up for my beast.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ooops! I am sorry. I got so tied up with work over the past several months that I forgot about this thread. The wheels and tires worked great. I'll summarize things and post some more stuff shortly.
thank you very much. It's be a huge help. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cajaz13,

Overall the setup is pretty good. I actually bought the wheels from board member FAST///M. One thing to point out, there are spacers needed to run with these wheels. The spacers accomplished two things:

1.) The wheels have an off set of +42, so this helps set the wheels correctly
2.) The bore of the wheels is made for the E36. The spacers have the correct bore at the interface of the APEC wheels, but were bored out to the E39 M5 specs on the side that interfaces with the wheel bearings. This would take modification of the spacers to do so. You would have to contact FAST///M to see who he took them to for modification and the price.

Here is a closer look at the spacers. They are from H and R. (Right: 25mm - for front, Left: 20 mm - for rear)

Take note that I have one spacer from the front and one from the back of the car. The rear spacers are 20mm. The front spacers are 25mm. Similar to the need for a 3mm spacer for the folks that use rear wheels in the front, the 25mm spacer takes care of that need even though there is an extra 2mm.

I am still running the stock camber setup, but I haven't noticed any rubbing issues.

The only small setup quirk is having to put the spacers on then the wheels. It is just a little bit more work.

Running with the Nitto tires was really nice. They are street tires so I drove around on them a week before to get used to the setup before I drove to Road America. Having use the stock wheel setup for two years, I feel the difference (turn ins) with the big 275s in front. It is a nice feel. I don't have to worry about over pumping the front tires to counter the weight of the car.

Given the tread pattern, it just seems like these are as close to competition tires as you can get that can still handle pretty well in the rain. It sure did rain at RA that weekend too. I'll finish getting the rest of my pictures up as soon as I can.

I only got a chance to do one event so I only have one point of reference so far. I hope to be able to do some auto crossing with this setup next year to see how that goes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wow Wicked, thanks a lot that was a major help. I think I'm going to get this set up as soon as I can afford it. (gotta get a job) Are you a member of Windy City BMW? I joined last year and have been doing there events. Also do you do HPDE?
Thanks again,
-Tyler

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tyler,

Yes I am a member of Windy City BMW. I joined as soon as I saw one of the autocrosses at Maywood Park. I did my first autocross with the X3 when it was first introduced and I learned so much about driving and car control/dynamics, I figure this was the best way to learn what the M5 could do in a "safe" environment. I have done several HPDEs, one with WCBMW at Gingerman and a few with Northwoods Shelby Club.

Note: If you do decide to go with a setup like this, just remember you will have an extra set of wheels in the house/garage. I mention this just so that it is not a surprise. You'll learn pretty quickly how to change everything, but it will still take a bit of time, tools, and a few broken finger nails. :hihihi:

Take care.

Kenny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts