BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. . .very new to the board. Have really been enjoying the various threads. Just wanted to warn those of you in the NYC area who might service your Beasts at BMW of Manhattan: TRY TO AVOID THE PLACE IF YOU CAN!!!

I went to get an oil change and they quoted me $160. Thought it was a bit high but I understand 10W-60 can get expensive so whatever, right? I get a phone call later in the day and the guy tells me that my car is ready but the oil change is going to cost me $200+. I thought to myself. . .****, lesson learned. I'll do it myself from now on.

On my way out, I pick-up an accessories catalog and when I get home, I notice that they charged me 2x the listed price in the catalog for the oil. I called them up and after about an hour conversation/wait I got my money back. His original quote was right.

You know, I've heard these guys are known for this kind of stuff. I mean, hey, I'm willing to pay what I need to pay to keep my beast in tip-top condition but why would you automatically treat your customers like this to make an extra buck?

And when I asked about window tinting, he talked me out of it and furthermore kept pushing the Inspection I at 19,000 miles. I would've never noticed if it wasn't for the catalog and I dunno. . .it just rubs me the wrong way. They tried to tell me that I had $2000 worth of suspension damage not covered under my CPO warranty. . .when I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car from, all I needed was my power steering lines replaced.

Not good. . .I don't think I'll be going back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's terrible, at least you got some of your money back.

Out here is Southern California, Irvine BMW tried charging me $16.95 per Liter of the 10w60, when the list price is $8.95 and you can find it at that price at Bavauto.com and most honest shops.

And when I asked my SA at Irvine BMW about an oil change, I was quoted $300+ and that was the last time I went there.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
And when I asked my SA at Irvine BMW about an oil change, I was quoted $300+ and that was the last time I went there.
It's hard to imagine why anyone would enjoy living in CA anymore...here you'll pay BMWNA list (minus 15% off parts AND labor if you're a CCA member).

·
Registered
463 Posts
If possible, I'd suggest going to BMW of Greenwich, CT, though I recognize it wouldn't be convenient for anyone living in NYC. Service dep't at Greenwich has always treated me well and gone the extra mile, even when they didn't have to. For an independent shop, I recommend Bimmers Only in Bedford (Westchester County). Been going there for a number of years; they did a great job installing my Tubi exhaust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What is the biggest pisser is there is not a single good BMW dealer in the new york city area :crying:
Life qualty is the worst, Manhattan used to be okay but lately they suck twice they over serviced the oil can't get simple thing done right :blabla:
I have had it, BMW does not seam to care about customer service :nono:

·
Registered
439 Posts
someone else told me about bimmers only . sounds like they might be the ticket around here.

ray

EdP said:
If possible, I'd suggest going to BMW of Greenwich, CT, though I recognize it wouldn't be convenient for anyone living in NYC. Service dep't at Greenwich has always treated me well and gone the extra mile, even when they didn't have to. For an independent shop, I recommend Bimmers Only in Bedford (Westchester County). Been going there for a number of years; they did a great job installing my Tubi exhaust.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ray540inyc said:
someone else told me about bimmers only . sounds like they might be the ticket around here. ray
It's a small shop: no loaner cars, no waiting area with coffee and a flat screen tv. But they're honest and do quality work, which is what counts. Graham is the owner.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I really don't understand what all the fuss is over high priced BMW oil changes! I take my cars to Jiffy Lube where they use Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic and Mann oil filters. I watch them closely and I'm usually out the door within an hour with all lubricants and coolants checked for $50.00. You can bring your own oil if you want (10w60) and they will discount their synthetic oil change price. As long as you can document your oil changes it will not void your warranty or CPO.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you don't mind a short drive to north Jersey, you can visit Motor Works West. I have been using them for years. They are an excellent independent BMW/Dinan dealer. The oil change with the 10w60 will cost about $110.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hiro, your right, both sales and service sucks at Manhattan.

I've liked BMW of Darien Ct, heard that Greenwich is also good.

hiro said:
Hey guys. . .very new to the board. Have really been enjoying the various threads. Just wanted to warn those of you in the NYC area who might service your Beasts at BMW of Manhattan: TRY TO AVOID THE PLACE IF YOU CAN!!!

I went to get an oil change and they quoted me $160. Thought it was a bit high but I understand 10W-60 can get expensive so whatever, right? I get a phone call later in the day and the guy tells me that my car is ready but the oil change is going to cost me $200+. I thought to myself. . .****, lesson learned. I'll do it myself from now on.

On my way out, I pick-up an accessories catalog and when I get home, I notice that they charged me 2x the listed price in the catalog for the oil. I called them up and after about an hour conversation/wait I got my money back. His original quote was right.

You know, I've heard these guys are known for this kind of stuff. I mean, hey, I'm willing to pay what I need to pay to keep my beast in tip-top condition but why would you automatically treat your customers like this to make an extra buck?

And when I asked about window tinting, he talked me out of it and furthermore kept pushing the Inspection I at 19,000 miles. I would've never noticed if it wasn't for the catalog and I dunno. . .it just rubs me the wrong way. They tried to tell me that I had $2000 worth of suspension damage not covered under my CPO warranty. . .when I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car from, all I needed was my power steering lines replaced.

Not good. . .I don't think I'll be going back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Darien is great, Greenwich is a Dinan dealer and seems to know what they are doing. I have never had a problem with BMW of Manhattan, always prompt and do more then they are supposed to BUT my car is still under warranty and has never cost me a penny there. They are a factory owned dealer, they should have good techs

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey CSBM5,

I notice that you've received your 2005 V70R with manual transmission. What are your initial impressions of the car in comparison to your 2004 with geartronic? Did they eliminate the probs you found with your 2004? Norgeiron

·
Registered
42 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I have a major issue with BMW of Manhattan; I made an appointment on Feb 16 and was told that the earliest available date for service was March 24. I showed up on March 24 to find out that they keyed the appointment for Feb 24 instead of March 24. I made a new appointment and showed up the following week only to have the service department tell me that my warranty expired on Feb 28! Since they updated the appointment entry on their system and it no longer shows the original appointment, they claim I made the appointment on March 24 and they have no record of me calling on Feb 16. They now want me to pay for all of the work to be done on the car. To top it off, they have had the car for almost 2 weeks now and will not perform any service on it until after we settle our argument!

I've called BMW USA Customer Service, but they are unable to help. They called BMW of Manhattan and are receiving the same response I got. It's essentially up to the dealership as to whether or not they'll honor the maintenance program.

I called my original dealership, BMW of Peabody in Massachusetts, and they are gracious enough to honor my extended maintenance warranty. I have one more meeting with the Service Manager of Manhattan this Wednesday. If I can't work things out, I'll have to drive the 220 miles or so to get my car serviced, but at least it'll be with a dealership that provides excellent service and is great to deal with.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Again BMW of Manhattan is OWNED BY BMW of NA or another BME subsidiary but it IS BMW that you are talking to not an independant dealer. BMWNA should be able to tell them what to do.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
4ocious said:
I really don't understand what all the fuss is over high priced BMW oil changes! I take my cars to Jiffy Lube where they use Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic and Mann oil filters. I watch them closely and I'm usually out the door within an hour with all lubricants and coolants checked for $50.00. You can bring your own oil if you want (10w60) and they will discount their synthetic oil change price. As long as you can document your oil changes it will not void your warranty or CPO.
How much oil do you take with you if you do it? 4-5 bottles?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I concur...I went there once, and never again.

The service department is like a parking lot, and no matter what time your appointment is, add at least 30 mins until someone sees you. I had heard good things, until I went there. To this day the SM has not returned my phone calls about the service experience...

I'm pretty much convinved none of these dealerships need/want the business, or they would do a better job in keeping people happy....at least on the service side anyway. They'll jump through hoops to get you in the door and on your way with a new car, but when you come back for service...forget it!!!

Now I take my babies to an independent shop in Edison, NJ. If anyone wants the name and contact number, let me know...Top notch work, and quality individuals...at a fraction of the price, and none of the headaches!! :happybirt

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Norgeiron said:
Hey CSBM5,

I notice that you've received your 2005 V70R with manual transmission. What are your initial impressions of the car in comparison to your 2004 with geartronic? Did they eliminate the probs you found with your 2004? Norgeiron
Sorry I missed your question a couple of months back. Yes, the 6-speed is MUCH faster than the geartronic car. This one has the full 295 ft-lb from 1900-5500rpm, and a real 300hp thankfully. There is no comparison between the two cars. I did some Gtimer runs (rollout set to 0") a while back and got 5.8 seconds to 60mph. The geartronic car was never able to break 7.0. From 60 up the 6-speed feels very nice. I was at VIR South course this weekend, and it was very interesting to match up against other cars down the straight. I'm sure many were surprised. Something like an E36 M3 (not stock) just gets left behind...perhaps 15 car lengths or more by the braking zone. This beast wagon wasn't too bad through the rest of the course either running the suspension in Advanced mode -- the AWD really allows you to put the power down hard and early out of slow speed turns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts