BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after accidentally slamming the trunklid hard, the trunk cannot be locked closed anymore. It appeared that a part flew off but I'm not sure what it is and what the part number is.

When I drive the car, the trunk lid can be lifted up without releasing the latch. The top part of the latch remained, but it appears when I look at the contact point on the car, the metal is there but there is a hole there. I suspect that there is a part in that hole. Would anyone know? And approximately how much that part is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kevinpayneuk said:
Does this link help?
Hi, cool link but its kinda confusing. I'm looking for the part that is attached to the car's rear body, not on the edge of the lid. I'm looking at part 10, but it doesn't look like its the one that flew off. =(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fin said:
Hi, cool link but its kinda confusing. I'm looking for the part that is attached to the car's rear body, not on the edge of the lid. I'm looking at part 10, but it doesn't look like its the one that flew off. =(
Wait...sorry, looks like the problem is part 4 (trunk lid catch) somehow could not be locked to part 5. Would you think its the problem with the trunk lid catch? hmmm..is there supposed to be a hole around part 5 (catch bracket)?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Without going down to the garage to look I remember that part 5 has a gap around it for part 4 to close around the bar. Can you take a photo of your part 5 and post it?

I can do the same with mine tomorrow when it is daylight if it would help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why not get yourself down to the car breakers and have a look for a standard E34 boot latch and change them over? I assume they are pretty much the same ie E34 Std and M5, and will save you a couple of pounds.

I take it they have BMW breakers Stateside???????

Pip
E34 '90 3.6L
E39 '99:M5rev:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts