BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trunk wouldn't open via the fob or a-pillar button. I replaced the actuator but still nothing. I inspected the wire harness briefly but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I let it slide for several months. The last few days, I noticed the trunk light acting funny. I touched the harness loom and noticed it was warm. I pulled down the rubber an Holy ****, found one totally separated wires and two fusing themselves together. 10 minutes to fix but damned, what crap. And everything works fine now. I wonder why there is so much tension on these wires?

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I had to make this repair as well. I got a "Check License Plate Light" warning last summer and tried changing the bulb to no avail. I knew instantly there was a short somewhere but as only one of the lights was out and my inspection wasn't due yet I let it go for a bit before bothering to track it down. Eventually the membrane switch to open the trunk from the outside stopped working as well and I found the severed wires inside of that flexible conduit. I, as well, added in a little extra length of wire to relieve the tension.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
the correct way to fix this is to remove the section of damaged wire and splice in the new section before the entrance and after the exit of the rubber tube/housing. if you fix it in the same spot it broke its just going to break again.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This seems to be a "standard BMW feature"!

I know the E46 have a big problem with this same exact problem. Assume many of the other BMW models have similiar issues as well?

I was actually wondering about this myself recently after seeing all the issues the E46 had, was the E39 was exempt or had similiar issues.

Now I know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts