BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, this morning my trunk spoiler was stolen, right in front of my house. they tried to steal the wheels, but i had locks on them. there was a car that stopped by my car some time ago, took a lot of pics of my car. i thought it was a little suspicious, so i wrote down the plate number. is there any way to trace a plate?

·
Registered
159 Posts
ContractR said:
so, this morning my trunk spoiler was stolen, right in front of my house. they tried to steal the wheels, but i had locks on them. there was a car that stopped by my car some time ago, took a lot of pics of my car. i thought it was a little suspicious, so i wrote down the plate number. is there any way to trace a plate?
Yes there is. Give the # to the police, they will run it and pay the owner a visit. Maybe they did it. Defineitly worth a try.
Good Luck
Boz

·
Registered
165 Posts
Man that sucks.

Whatever the hell you do though, make sure the police know that under no circumstances must they let on they are looking for an M5 spoiler. The last thing you want are some contract car thieves with a vendetta against you - remember they know where you live. That said, they do sound incredibly amatuerish by what you have said.

Scum:crying2:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought about that, that's why i haven't got to the police. i just wanted to check the place my self. don't want to jump to any conclusions, they might have been taking pics of the car because i have done so much stuff to it. i'm just happy they didn't take the hre's. does anyone know where i can get another spoiler cheap.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
That's awful. I'd be worried they might come back for the wheels though. Try and fit some higher security locking wheel nuts like the McGuard ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ContractR said:
i thought about that, that's why i haven't got to the police. i just wanted to check the place my self. don't want to jump to any conclusions, they might have been taking pics of the car because i have done so much stuff to it. i'm just happy they didn't take the hre's. does anyone know where i can get another spoiler cheap.
I picked up an unpainted trunk spoiler for $45 and it looks great, I don't think it's OEM, but if that doesn't matter try ebay.

If it's the same as the e46 M3 this is a group buy for $67 painted, ending monday(8/22), I think they are very similar, if not the exact same thing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394501&highlight=trunk+spoiler

good luck.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
ContractR said:
i thought about that, that's why i haven't got to the police. i just wanted to check the place my self.
Although they will charge a small fee, most private detectives can access DMV records.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
stuart said:
The last thing you want are some contract car thieves with a vendetta against you - remember they know where you live. That said, they do sound incredibly amatuerish by what you have said.
Agreed, you don't want to p!ss the professionals off. But the very fact that they 'stole' the trunk lip spoiler--a part that retails for <$200--says this was an amateur hack job at best.

Dealerships consider the spoiler to be an expendable item when they have to finish a decklid. That is, they get destroyed much more often than not during removal.

These guys were idiots.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ContractR said:
If you don't try and get your wheels insured by you car insurance company. Usually all they need is a head-up that you have after markets and they require you to keep the receipt and in some cases take pictures or a small video with the wheels on the car so they have all the information to refund you the market value for them.

Unlucky though but like you said it is only the spoiler not the wheels.

Late

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
i just wanted to check the place my self. don't want to jump to any conclusions, they might have been taking pics of the car because i have done so much stuff to it.
Check it yourself? And do what? Get shot at? I think you risk more by doing that compared to reporting that to the police. Just my 2 cents. It really sucks you got ripped off.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Check it yourself? And do what? Get shot at? I think you risk more by doing that compared to reporting that to the police. Just my 2 cents. It really sucks you got ripped off.
I second that, no need to check it out. Either call the police or don't worry about it. More than likely you probably will forget and roll up to the address in your M(as rare as it is) and they recognize the car. The people will probably think you have them figured out and do something worse to your M or as amatuer as they are they will probably piss in there pants. Don't risk anything, just get insured all around and don't worry about anything. Again, it is just the spoiler not the wheels. Had it been the wheels then that would be a different story.

If these are not the people who did it you will probably get what you want in the end as they might call the police for you for stalking them. (LOL) :7:

Late

·
Registered
992 Posts
You never cease to amaze me with the information you possess.

;)

gsfent said:
Although they will charge a small fee, most private detectives can access DMV records.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
What!? Didn't you ever watch Magnum P.I.? :hihi:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
SCORPIO said:

;)
:1: :M5launch: cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Need4Spd said:
What Magnum did only works in Hawaii.. hiha :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
992 Posts
If I based reality on 80's TV shows, all detectives would be wearing pastel colors, no socks, and drive exotic sports cars; all single male men would have 2 female roomates; courts would be open all night long; aliens would be living with us; and there would be some curly blond hair guy flying around in a red suit and crashing into things...

And if I wanted to find love, I would take a cruise! ouich

Need4Spd said:

·
Registered
291 Posts
SCORPIO said:
If I based reality on 80's TV shows, all detectives would be wearing pastel colors, no socks, and drive exotic sports cars; all single male men would have 2 female roomates; courts would be open all night long; aliens would be living with us; and there would be some curly blond hair guy flying around in a red suit and crashing into things...

And if I wanted to find love, I would take a cruise! ouich
Hilarious:hihi: :7: hiha

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dan thats why you should leave the beast outside..... first matrixes winter tires now your spoiler hope no one takes anything of mine

ContractR said:

·
Registered
439 Posts
too bad the police wouldnt take the time to fingerprint the car, chances are there repeat offenders.
also maddyspop has a dealership in chicago. pm him and see if he has any one that can run the plate.
you should also get one of those wireless motion activated web cams. i think linksys sells them for 89 bux. point it right at your car and you can record stop frame video right to your hard drive anytime someone is walkin by or trying to steal the wheels .

sorry that happened

ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts