BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Trunk Problems

2252 Views 20 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  DouglasABaker
I have read threads about people not able to open their trunks, but this is something different.

If I pop my trunk (doesn't matter if it's with the fob, dash button or trunk button) the trunk pops properly, then I open the trunk, do whatever task I needed to do, then I go to close the trunk.

Here is where the problem arises. Just before the trunk closes the latch makes its open noise again and the trunk won't latch, I lift it up an inch or so it resets, then I go to close it and opens again. Sometimes this happens twice other times over 30. Right now my trunk is open in the parking lot because I was so sick of it.

Once I do finally get it closed and latched it stays that way and never randomly opens or pops.

What might be wrong? My thoughts were a faulty latch, but I'm not sure whats triggering it or one or more of the wires in the trunk harness thing have rubbed through.

I have sort of eliminated one of the switches being bad since it seems to do it regardless of the switch I use to pop the trunk, and I would think that if a switch was making contact, the trunk would randomly pop.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Such a little thing brings great irritation.

Thanks.

Bob
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
yes....that is definitely the problem. You just cut open the rubber tubing, or is there a way to get it off?

P.S. for those with this problem, I found a temporary fix - lock the doors before closing the trunk, the release does not activate when the doors are locked, so the trunk will close.

· Registered
634 Posts
I am having trouble removing the tubing...I was able to pop it off of the trunk but can't pull it down more than an inch or two and then it seems to get "stuck" on something. I don't want to pull on the rubber cover too hard for fear of ripping one of the wires out....do you have any tips on getting the tubing to expose all of the frays?

· Registered
634 Posts
This is frustrating, what it boils down too is a few frayed wires in my trunk are stopping me from using my entire car. Is there any way I can unplug this wire group completely and not have electrical loss, then have someone repair the wires? I don't want to have to get my car towed to a repair shop to fix something as small as frayed wires.

· Registered
634 Posts
Doug, thanks for the response.

the damaged wiring goes through the rear firewall and not sure where after that. Who knows where the molex connection is?

I am going to try and pull some of the fuses and see if I can get these wires to become powerless.

· Registered
634 Posts
Doug, Got my car powered up....is there any fear of pulling potential fuses? Can I hurt anything?

After removing fuse #4 - trunk lighting, the license plate light is still on (which is powered by my damaged wires.

Looks like I may be unplugging the battery at work tomorrow......

P.S. by firewall, I meant the car's body...it enters a sealed passage into the cars cabin which would open a whole new can of worms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.