BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and discovered a few people with this same issue of the trunk not latching/locking upon closing it. Most had an issue where the wires frayed at the lid/body loom. Looked at mine and they're solid. One wire had 1/16" of insulation missing (actually looked like it cut and pulled apart). Wire inside not cut at all and too far from either lid or body to have been frayed from rubbing. Don't think that's my problem.

So the actuator would be next. Before I buy the actuator, which I think needs to be bought as a complete lock assembly, is there anything else I should look at as a possible cause?

On the actuator itself the bit that rotates and locks around the bar at base of trunk opening rotates freely. I'm guessing its not supposed to.

Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the cover off and exposed the actuator. When I press the trunk button on key the actuator functions, pushing the piston out, but then kind of retracts and the piston doesn't have any pressure on it after. Is that indicative of a spring? If so, is the spring inside the actuator?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Yup check that, 9/10 that's the problem. If you need one I may have one laying around as well.
You guys were right. Spring broke. Can I get your spare if you have one? I'll see about getting one from local hardware store too.

Sounds like a sprung solenoid of some sort - spring can be inside... Can you share a pic?
I'll try to share a pic or two in a bit. It was a broken spring.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This happened to me. I replaced the whole unit, managed to source a second hand unit here in the UK.

As a temporary fix I used a zip tie around the spring coils and attached it to the arm, and was very careful when opening and closing the boot lid.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just bend out the next spring coil and hook it up, it will work for years.
I forgot to update this thread, having posted in the "What you did to your M5" thread instead. ^This is exactly what I did, even though I had bought some springs to replace with I just reused the stock one by bending the next spring coil. :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts