BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Holy cow. Sal, I had heard from Imran they bought your share and you had gone on, but I didn't realize you were sticking around in the M world.

Good to see you here, looking forward to what you bring to the table. I guess that makes sense why you already have the contact info for the AG/VS sales team.

So is there still clear, easy access to the mounting nuts to install these as the OEM were? Not a deal killer for many, but certainly saves labor time and knuckles.
Yes,

this is always something I wanted to do. In my previous role we were always restricted to only designing but not manufacturing.

With manufacturing also I wanted to make everything far more accessible to people where vendors would not need to purchase 10 or 20 sets at a time and resort to just group buys.
I have the setup such that I can produce even one piece at a time with clever modern CNC jigs and pre cut bends.
Then it's just a quick case of putting this in the assembly line.

Keeps the costs down for the end user too as you don't get charged on a quantity basis but just a fixed fair price for a huge amount of quality fabrication.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Wow!

If you deliver everything listed, you will absolutely rule the roost of S85 headers. Very exciting!

When I visited the SuperSprint factory in Italy, I actually had a 10-15 minute conversation with them about the Evolve headers and Sal's active involvement in their development. They had nothing but positive things to say about him, and his knowledge of header development (and what was needed in software to take advantage of them). And, it showed, in the gains of the Evolve headers (which are made by SuperSprint (at least for the s62, I never checked the S85)) over the Supersprint headers!

If you can make them better still, while also making them less than half the price... you'd have to be crazy to get anything else.

Now: what's it going to take to get you to develop a set for the e39 M5? :devil

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Also,

for the guys who are interested:

Pipe diameter is 41.7mm with a wall thickness of 1.6 mm T304 Stainless Steel

We can change the pipe used to the same 41.7mm OD but with a wall thickness of 1.2mm. This will automatically increase the bore size of the pipe.

We are not too interested in going much bigger right now as this, from experience, will have a negative impact on the torque below 2500rpm even at light throttle.

The length of each primary pipe is approx 430mm +/- 7mm

There will be a choice of collector length and also an outlet of 70mm as compared to the OEM 65mm compatible. We are doing this as there are now systems on the market which use the larger 70mm bore size.

We aim to have zero gaps between the pipes at the ticking stage so that zero filler is required other than at the header flange.
With the very accurate cutting jigs we have built, that does seem to be a reasonable expectation for production.

Our next update will now be when both sides are built to production level.

Since we already know the inner diameter of other designs (having handled a few in person) these headers will perform to a very high level with the added benefit of NOT changing the V10 firing tone. The overall tone will become deeper due to the lack of primary CAT's and the larger pipe diameter (inner) over the OEM part.

The most important part of the headers is the construction. The design can be the best ever, if it not welded together properly or say the port matching is out by 1mm, then it will be useless.

With the S85, you can build any header, equal of non equal length and with an inner diameter of OEM + 0.5mm, you will still get dyno numbers of 30-40 hp as per all of the other headers as long as they are built properly.

However, it all goes back to the sound and the distribution of torque across the rpm range at all loads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wow!

If you deliver everything listed, you will absolutely rule the roost of S85 headers. Very exciting!

When I visited the SuperSprint factory in Italy, I actually had a 10-15 minute conversation with them about the Evolve headers and Sal's active involvement in their development. They had nothing but positive things to say about him, and his knowledge of header development (and what was needed in software to take advantage of them). And, it showed, in the gains of the Evolve headers (which are made by SuperSprint) over the Supersprint headers!

If you can make them better still, while also making them less than half the price... you'd have to be crazy to get anything else.

Now: what's it going to take to get you to develop a set for the e39 M5? :devil
Hi Ian,

I remember working at the Supersprint factory and it was an amazing experience. Great guys and they can make anything. The private projects they were doing were really quite amazing.
I did a lot of work on the S62 headers there.

Talking of S62, compared to the S85, they will be easy to make equal length. More space and less cylinders. Have already decided to use 45mm pipe work on that project.
I will most likely carry out the S62 project in Dubai.
For RHD a trip to a few friends in the far east with shops will see that set developed too.

The prices of these type of headers are usually $4000 north due to the amount of bend transitions there are.

Very very high quality M Power parts are about to get way cheaper :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That's within 1.63% of true equal length. Not too shabby Sal.
You don't want to know how many long long days it took to get here.

Uses up a lot of material even when using prototype plastics like we do.

This is one difficult project. I am looking forward to the easier ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Im at working smashing the like button under these posts! This platform is becoming so exciting! Sal great work, explanations and break down!
It's about to get even more amazing with other developments I am hearing about from others around the world.

If they can achieve their goals you are on for some amazing upgrades!

The ideas that are coming out are just fantastic and very achievable.

Now.. better go finish off the two types of collector.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Im at work smashing the like button under these posts! This platform is becoming so exciting! Sal great work, explanations and break down!
I'm just a few days behind you, Senad lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi

We are just assembling the other bank right now.

We are 4 weeks away from sending a set out for trial fit.

Once the fitment comes back and initial feedback then it's straight into production. We will most likely make around 50 pieces straight away.

41 - 60 of 321 Posts