BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to these forums and I'm starting my posts off with a question I just can't get an answer for. Last year I purchased locally this Charcoal 1994 E36 318i what suppose to be an Alpina. The question I ask is what to look for to state that it is a true Alpina. The biggest problem here is that this car was supposely imported in Canada and with extremely stricted canadian laws, the car would have been convertered to canadian specs. This would change the bumpers, steeringwheel because Alpina didn't have an airbag and who knows what else making it harder to identify that it's a true Alpina. Also because our law states that any car that is not manufactured to sell in Canada or USA, must be 15 years old to be legally drive'n in Canada. Yes these laws suck, but thats the way it is, so even the car itself was just registered as a 318i and not an Alpina for those reasons. But the only evidence I have is the stamped wing and badge on the back. Is there and where are other evidence of it being a true Alpina. This would help plenty so I know if I got ripped or not. Thanks for reading and helping in anyway. Just call me Mars aka Marc:cheers:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Gustav said:
It is not an Alpina.
Mark, I don't think that Alpina produced the 1.8.
When you say stamped wing, what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
forget whatever stamp you got on that its not an alpina full stop and the badge is fake as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have more info to stating that it's not an alpina. Is it 100% fact that Alpina never made a 318i. The wing is stamped, it's hard to read, but this is what I got from it "Alpina Heckspoiler Tyb 4'08166" I was told by a BMW enthusiat that the exhaust system wasn't stock and most definitely Alpina, it has a stock 12 speaker Alpine system, not sure if this was standard for all BMW's. I'm just looking for the most info as possible becuase if I got ripped, then it's time to take this guy to court and get some of my money back. Thanks for the help. Marc

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
DusBimmin said:
Does anyone have more info to stating that it's not an alpina. Is it 100% fact that Alpina never made a 318i. The wing is stamped, it's hard to read, but this is what I got from it "Alpina Heckspoiler Tyb 4'08166" I was told by a BMW enthusiat that the exhaust system wasn't stock and most definitely Alpina, it has a stock 12 speaker Alpine system, not sure if this was standard for all BMW's. I'm just looking for the most info as possible becuase if I got ripped, then it's time to take this guy to court and get some of my money back. Thanks for the help. Marc
Alpina never made a 4 cylinder E36 - only the B6 2.8, B3 3.0, B3 3.2 and B8 4.0 / B8 4.6. A real Alpina would also have an Alpina chin spoiler.

Finally, Alpina don't make slow cars.

On the other hand, the rear spoiler might be genuine.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It's definatley not an Alpina I'm afraid, the only time they dabled in the 4 pots were in the mid to late 70's! You have a stock 318i with an Alpina rear wing, and possibly a badge fitted. As for the stereo, I think it had a Blaupunkt fitted as std (if you can call it std) but many options were available at the time. Sorry, but time to take action!

There were many Alpina items that would not have been removed though, and the bumpers are one of them, they were the same as a std BMW! Just had a spoiler fitted below it!
For eg dash, plaque, tyre pressure info etc etc would have remained.
On a seperate note, the exhaust may be a replacement item and made by Ansa (who also make aftermarket items) but is still to std BMW spec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help, if anyone has contact info to Alpina themselves, I would appreciate it. Cause I will need a statement from them stating that it is not an Alpina to take legal action and go after the scammer that sold it to me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
DusBimmin said:
Thanks for all your help, if anyone has contact info to Alpina themselves, I would appreciate it. Cause I will need a statement from them stating that it is not an Alpina to take legal action and go after the scammer that sold it to me.
2 Bad u got ripped off grrrrrrr

Try mailen them with the VIN num.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell me about, but hey the great news is the scammer put Alpina on the reciept so lets just say that legal action will be better on my end!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
A true Alpina (excluding a UK or US manufactured one from the 1970s or 1980s, and possibly the Roadster V8) will have an Alpina VIN number, which starts with different letters than a BMW one - I forget which way round it is, but isn't it WBAP, guys?

A true Alpina will also always have a black build plaque prominently displayed in the cabin.

The factory will no doubt happily confirm to you that the VIN of your car is not associated with a genuine Alpina - the general number should get you through to the right person, otherwise try Kris Odwarka as a starting point - he's responsible for international sales and is a good bloke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I get in contact with Kris, I emailed what I hope is Alpinas main website. I got it from a link from one of the pinned posts at the top of this forum under "What is an Alpina?". All I know is this scammer is going down once everything varified with proof. Thanks again. Marc

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
ALPINA Burkard Bovenspiepen GmbH + Co.
Alpenstrasse 35-37
D-86807 Buchloe
Tel. +49 (0) 8241 – 500 50
Fax. +49 (0) 8241 – 500 51 55

I would presume Kris' e-mail address is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
DusBimmin said:
All I know is this scammer is going down once everything varified with proof. Thanks again. Marc
Go get him.......................... grrrrrrr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone and don't worry I'll keep you informed. My plans are to get the different back with legal action, then sell my car and search for a 4 door M3. I have seen many for sale, not sure if they are legit or limited, but love to have an M3, but love the 4 door version!!!:wroom:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have an Avus blue M3 4 door saloon (3.0L) which i'll be selling in a few weeks.. though unfortunately it's in the UK and the steering wheel is on the wrong side...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ya, with Canadian laws, any righthand drive car newer then 15 years would be ilegal, some have found loopholes but if caught, fines and charges for exporting would apply, so it's not worth it, even though it sure would be amazing to have a euro spec, cause our version is just not the same. Drive it on over here and I'll buy it off ya!!:haha:

·
Registered
37 Posts
suppose all alpina identities were taken away, but you still have something to check on (something’s never taken away). open the hood and take a look at the left strut housing. if yours is genuine, the original bmw production # is crossed out and alpina’s own, starting with wapb, is inscribed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

you guys are lucky cuz there are less hustles on this . and even if some’s up like this, it’s relatively easy to see what’s up. check this out, son, this is what we have to deal with outta here. you’ll see millions of fake alpines just like this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts