BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sure RPi/Dinan and such have RND'd this concept but curious if anyone else has? Rather than get heat soak or pay $$$ for Dinan air box, have the "cone" style air filter located where the current "scoop" plastic piece is and run a pipe upto TB. I just looked and there seems to be a real small space for this type of setup...just curious if it's been tried/tested.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Abid Siddique Racing!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...11-asr-cold-air-intakes-20hp-best-market.html DAUM, baller status for sure.

CAI PICS

Interesting location. Add a "custom" scoop to channel the air coming into the upper grill area to more direct into the air filters I would assume would be even better. Wonder why no other company makes these...? Not sure if I care for the fact that if you get rain/water it "can" sit in that lower section of the piping -vs- a more practical/common setup would be for the air to flow upwords -vs- down and then back up. Hrmmmmmm

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I think the ASR intakes are a disaster and a total fail!

Cone filters are designed to suck in air and cause internal turbulence. They are not designed for RAM air applications!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

Cone filters are designed to suck in air and cause internal turbulence. They are not designed for RAM air applications!
I knew the ASR TT build was a disaster but why do you say that about their intake?

·
Registered
320 Posts

Thats 100% true. The best solution is to made the same "design" E39 have and with original filter boxes.
Cones at the front + pipelines with a small hole at the bottom so the water can came out...

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Guys, there is no hole at the bottom to drain the water. Please, let's be accurate. The ASR CAI is very well engineered, constructed and if flows very well.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....and what happens after time of water getting into the filter (which shouldn't happen but can)...sits there and builds a small pool and then......hydro lock is the next stage. I like the idea of a few small holes in the lower section...might loose alittle air pressure, but might also save your engine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the piping is way too thick that you would never be able to suck enough water up there to do damage, it would have to be submerged, i think its way over price but the concept of that asr intake is the way they should have all been done.

Reactions: bemone

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I am running the ASR intake with no problems and drives much harder than before and looks beautiful behind the matte black grills. Price wise its high but that makes it rare like the car itself IMO of course.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Clearly you have not seen as ASR CAI. It is designed to deal with the water ingestion and was tested in heavy Florida rain. I have been running mine for 2 years and is one of my favorite mods. The water escapes the tubing via a (you will have to excuse my poor explenation) especially designed portion that contains a water bypass section.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clearly you have not seen as ASR CAI. It is designed to deal with the water ingestion and was tested in heavy Florida rain. I have been running mine for 2 years and is one of my favorite mods. The water escapes the tubing via a (you will have to excuse my poor explenation) especially designed portion that contains a water bypass section.
I assume that have some sort of bypass value similar to the below.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the actual:

I think i'll be making my own here very soon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts