BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on the highway I had an STI (older generation) out accelerate me by a large margin. It was a third gear run right in the power band of the beast. Keeping in mind I am in denver (5000ft = 20% torque loss), is it typical for an STI to be that fast, or did he likely have some power adders? My car is stock other than a Dinan CAI.

I'm just curious. Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Most likely a combination of everything you mentioned. Its an STi which is common for younger enthusiast drivers to own, meaning it might have some mods. A few bolt-ons at least I would assume, especially as its an older model. And being a mile high definitely hurts you. If its the last generation its got within about 100hp anyways, factor in altitude and him having a few bolt ons, its not surprising. Disappointing perhaps...

·
Registered
126 Posts
STI's are no joke in street pulls. Even a lightly modified WRX with strictly bolt-ons may suprise you on the street. Subaru has an incredible 4WD system in those cars.

If the pull surpassed speeds of 90-100mph though, you'd be suprised how fast you'd suddenly begin to out-accelerate him :D

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
With enough money, there are tons of cars out there that will blow the doors off of a stock M5. Who knows how much money that dude had wrapped up in that car. Feel good knowing that with your soft leather interior, whisper quiet insulated BMW cabin, and wonderful sounding music from your M Audio system, you achieved that speed a million times more comfortably than he did......

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
All it takes is a bigger turbo/more boost and/or tuning software... but twist30 is right, if its pulling that hard down lower then she probably does have much on top gear you probably wouldve caught up.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
for 5-7k STIs regularly make 4-500hp.

Mitsu Evos run around the same budget and tend to make slightly more power.

Turbos are unpredictably fast, and inexpensive to make that quick.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like Timmay said: feel good about riding in luxury & comfort with a bit of performance rather than a rice box with minimal everything except power. We're getting too old to do that crap and look way better cruising and standing still. By the way, I'm in Aurora - just traded in an E82 for the Beast a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Like Timmay said: feel good about riding in luxury & comfort with a bit of performance rather than a rice box with minimal everything except power. We're getting too old to do that crap and look way better cruising and standing still. By the way, I'm in Aurora - just traded in an E82 for the Beast a few weeks ago.
Are our egos so fragile that we have to bring up the obvious "luxury" in a luxury performance sedan when a cheaper, easily modified car beats us? I bet you that if it was a Camaro,, we'd be the first to claim that we'd keep up in the twisties (no chance of that in the STI, of course) or start the "American cars suck" argument.

There are many different cars out there that are faster than us and the fact is that the M5 sucks when it comes performance-per-dollar upgrades. The M5 lost and credit must be given to a very fast STI, comfortable or not. We all know what we'd rather have in our garages, but there's no need to make excuses. Nice Job, STI, I bet that it's a hoot to drive and put lots of work on it. And you probably have a better audio system as well (because come on, the stock M5 system sucks, even with M audio).

There's always someone faster.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

I wouldn't exactly call the STI or Evo rice boxes. I know my E39 has required serious maintanence to keep creaks, groans, and vibrations at bay; where as japanese cars I have owned in the past required far less work and weren't as bad as most BMW owners seem to imply.

Reactions: JDMM5

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a bunch of friends with STi's, they are definitely no joke. You should definitely out accelerate a stock STi unless your car has issues. pretty much unless the STi is sporting an upgraded turbo, you should beat it from a roll. my friends gota JDM version 7 swapped (stock turbo) into his with all the bolt on goodies, forged pistons. and a tune and i still get him from a roll.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Japanese cars I have owned in the past required far less work and weren't as bad as most BMW owners seem to imply
Indeed, jap cars generally do not break. I've had quite a few and they are very reliable, cheap to maintain cars. I can't see the problem with them; they are very, very good at what they are supposed to be. You can drive the knackers off them and it is like water off a ducks back.

Diny - agree entirely.

To the OP, in answer to your question, a stock M5 will out accelerate a stock STi. As others have said they are absurdly easy to modify and the results can be many hundreds of horsepower more than stock. Look at that curve posted by matt - can you imagine the shove in the back if you stood on the throttle at 2000rpm and waited for the turbos to spool up.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
With enough money, there are tons of cars out there that will blow the doors off of a stock M5. Who knows how much money that dude had wrapped up in that car. Feel good knowing that with your soft leather interior, whisper quiet insulated BMW cabin, and wonderful sounding music from your M Audio system, you achieved that speed a million times more comfortably than he did......
:rolleyes:

Are our egos so fragile that we have to bring up the obvious "luxury" in a luxury performance sedan when a cheaper, easily modified car beats us? I bet you that if it was a Camaro,, we'd be the first to claim that we'd keep up in the twisties (no chance of that in the STI, of course) or start the "American cars suck" argument.

There are many different cars out there that are faster than us and the fact is that the M5 sucks when it comes performance-per-dollar upgrades. The M5 lost and credit must be given to a very fast STI, comfortable or not. We all know what we'd rather have in our garages, but there's no need to make excuses. Nice Job, STI, I bet that it's a hoot to drive and put lots of work on it. And you probably have a better audio system as well (because come on, the stock M5 system sucks, even with M audio).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

I raced my friends 2006 wrx sti with a couple bolt ons. And I actually pulled about 3 or 4 cars on him. And our top end is not that much better. I pulled more on him down low, then he hung with me after about 120mph all the way to about 145mph.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

Always with the dramatics.....

I wasn't making excuses at all. Geez. Being soundly beat by a smaller, lighter, heavily modified economy car is no reason to be embarrassed. If I wanted the FASTEST car I could get, mod out, and street race, it sure as hell wouldn't have been an E39 M5. I bought my car because it had 400hp stock and is comfortable to drive from CA to FL.......

Then again, I don't go around street racing every ricer I can find. I'm too old for that stuff.....

Juss sayin.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Always with the dramatics.....

I wasn't making excuses at all. Geez. Being soundly beat by a smaller, lighter, heavily modified economy car is no reason to be embarrassed. If I wanted the FASTEST car I could get, mod out, and street race, it sure as hell wouldn't have been an E39 M5. I bought my car because it had 400hp stock and is comfortable to drive from CA to FL.......

Then again, I don't go around street racing every ricer I can find. I'm too old for that stuff.....

Juss sayin.
The second half of your first post sounds like it's trying to comfort the supposedly bruised ego of a guy that got beat by an STI. Maybe I misread that, but my opinion stands. Maybe not directed at you, but you always seen that kind of thing when someone posts about being beaten by another car. You even see it here in the typical E39 Vs E60 arguments ("at least I look better in my E39" vs. "But the E60 is faster, period").

If I were racing and the STI beat me, I'd pull up next to the guy, give him a big thumbs up and ask what he'd done to it. Chances are that they won't be douchebags about it. I've played with STIs, Evos, and other Bimmers and not one was a dbag about it. They all admire the E39 M5 and will gladly accept the accolades of another fellow enthusiast.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I wasnt embarrassed at all about getting beaten. As a car guy, to see a nice clean, seemingly well cared for car take off like that was pretty cool. I was far more intrigued by what he had in the car than concern that I was slower. I tried to get up next to him again, but the highway split and we went different directions. I flashed the fog lights on and off a few times in an attempt to give him a thumbs up.

He took off like he was fired out of a slingshot...very cool stuff.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Japanese cars, other than my venerable LandCruiser, but those STi's are pretty amazing on wet curvy roads.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Why does ego have to have anything to do with it? My wife's got a Subaru Outback that gets better gas mileage, can drive in the snow, I can fill it with wood and was considerably cheaper than my car. Even if it ran in the 10s, I wouldn't drive that thing any more than I have to. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, the cabin noise is easily 2x what it is in the M5 and it's got very loose steering (because that's presumably what 99.9% of people buying them want - or at least don't object). Different tools for different jobs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I once had a run in with an STI Version 6,my mafs were well past ther best on 80k miles and it was even up to 120.

I do like the classic impreza though,they have character.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've driven a heavily modded STI. It came into my friend's dealership after the owner spent a ton of cash at a tuning shop. I did a fun run in it, took pictures of it and helped him sell the thing.

My opinion is that it wasn't for me, at all. At six foot nine it was like flying coach and having the guy in front of you keep reclining his seat when you find a position that doesn't make your spleen want to explode. I guess I'm big in Japan :D The thing was also annoying loud (keep in mind I drive a Duramax daily) and rode like crap. My friend was interested in buying it, he said "my 15 year old worn out Wrangler rides better, no thanks"

Are they a fun car? Sure. Can people make a lot of power in them? Sure. Would I own one, no F'ing way. Timmay is right, our E39s are way more classy and comfortable. Also, when I owned my car for less than 3 hours I got gas in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and a very pretty older blond woman with some very long legs said "that's a beautiful M5." When I drove the STI around some Wyo Tech student rolled down his window in a butt ugly Neon and said, "nice man, lets run em." :dunno:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts