BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trunk or boot release button has stopped working on my '03 M5. I'm guessing it is just a fuse, but I can't locate which one from the fuse list. Anyone know which fuse it it on? Everything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
Re: Remote trunk (boot) release

Tom Burns said:
The trunk or boot release button has stopped working on my '03 M5. I'm guessing it is just a fuse, but I can't locate which one from the fuse list. Anyone know which fuse it it on? Everything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks
Don't know which fuse, but anything else not working? If so, you can trace the problem. Fuses are in the glove box with a pull out card listing what is on the fuse and the size, and there is another panel in the boot, right side wheel well.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
93 Posts

Tom Burns said:

Thanks
Can you open the trunk from the inside of the car?

·
Registered
12,902 Posts

Caribbean-M5 said:
Can you open the trunk from the inside of the car?
Hmm, I thought he meant the inside release by the hood release lever was not working. I didn't read that as the remote key fob not working or that the trunk would not otherwise open.....Maybe I misunderstood. :(
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
590 Posts

Tom,

Fuse F27 in the glove box and fuse F53 in the trunk (right side behind trim panel) control the trunk release mechanism. I have replace the lock actuator (ZV Drive) on a 528I that did the same thing. If you can't get in the trunk you probably have to remove the rear seat back to get in.

Jerry, he did say the inside release button didn't work along with the trunk button. I think.:confused2

Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks to all who responded. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I CAN open the trunk with the key fob button, it's the button inside the car by the hood release that wasn't working. Didn't know there are 2 fuses, I suppose the one in the glove boz is for the button inside and the one in the trunk is for the acutal release mechanism.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
251 Posts

I'm interested in this thread simply because I would like to know how to disable the key fob trunk release - but retain the "button" functionality at the exterior of the car.

I don't mind if the interior button (by the hood release lever) works or not, I'd just like to kill the ability to use the remote to pop the trunk.

If there are two fuses, and one will disable the key fob from popping the trunk open - what else might become disabled if I simply pull that fuse?

Thanks,

Paul

PS - The reason I ask is, I am frequently finding my trunk ajar because I hit the button while it was in my pocket. That edge of the key presses up against other keys on the ring too easily.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

I think it is interesting that their is a trunk fuse in the trunk. Good luck on fixing that if your trunk won't open! hiha

·
Registered
644 Posts

Tom Burns said:
I CAN open the trunk with the key fob button, it's the button inside the car by the hood release that wasn't working.
Tom;

I'll bet its NOT a fuse problem....
go to your truck key cylinder, and check to see which position the tumbler is in. The key slot should be in the verticle, position. If the key slot is in the horizontal position, this means it's in valet protect, preventing anyone from opening the truck from inside the vehicle, or with the latch release pad on the trunk itself.
check it out.

-Audio

·
Registered
837 Posts

Audioguy said:
Tom;

go to your truck key cylinder, and check to see which position the tumbler is in. The key slot should be in the verticle, position. If the key slot is in the horizontal position, this means it's in valet protect, preventing anyone from opening the truck from inside the vehicle, or with the latch release pad on the trunk itself.
check it out.

-Audio
I never heard of this tell me more, you can move the tumbler mechanism to prevent people from opening the trunk, how is it in the owners manual? I shall go look, Ilearn more and more about this car as time goes on, Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
590 Posts

Audioguy said:
Tom;

check it out.

-Audio
Tom,

I'll seconded this. Tried it this morning and Audioguy is correct. You learn something new everyday. ouich

Hope that's the problem
Joe

·
Registered
207 Posts

Since your car is an '03, it should still be under warranty. Take it to the dealer for them to fix.

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

hudson said:
Tom,

I'll seconded this. Tried it this morning and Audioguy is correct. You learn something new everyday. ouich

Hope that's the problem
Joe
Thanks for the tips. Both fuses checked out okay. I CAN open truck with key fob, but not with interior button. Will check cylinder position. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Audioguy said:
Tom;

check it out.

-Audio
You are awesome. I had the same problem, and sure enough my key slot was in the horizontal position. Saved a trip to the dealer.
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

Audioguy said:
Tom;

check it out.

-Audio
Great info. for future reference. Thanks again :D

·
8,369 Posts
Trunk lock wont open

Mr. Tom Burns, just wondering what the reason was your trunk lock wont open. I have the same proble. It started with the trunk unlock switch on the boot lid itself wont work. The key remote trunk unlock button and the interior switch trunk unlock button works.

Then, the key remote trunk unlock button stopped working. So I was using the only left, the interior button. Now nothing works except the manual insertion of the key to the trunk lock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will check both fuses today.

Dan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whatheheck said:
Mr. Tom Burns, just wondering what the reason was your trunk lock wont open. I have the same proble. It started with the trunk unlock switch on the boot lid itself wont work. The key remote trunk unlock button and the interior switch trunk unlock button works.

Then, the key remote trunk unlock button stopped working. So I was using the only left, the interior button. Now nothing works except the manual insertion of the key to the trunk lock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will check both fuses today.

Dan
Sounds like you have problems different from mine. The suggestion to check the lock position fixed my problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had this problem for about 1 day. And it wasn't the trunk valet lock either. For some reason the electronics in the M5 tend to wigg out everynow and then. I think it ended up happening after I set off my alarm by accident by locking the car first and then closing the trunk which activated the motion sensor. To fix it I tried doing multiple things like locking and unlocking the car completely and popping the trunk with the keyfob. Eventually that button started working again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thread resurrection!

i had problems with my boot release when i initially bought the car about 6 months ago. all fuses etc were all ok, both the button in the car and the key fob wouldn't work, but the car would open on the key.

i replaced the actuator with no luck (though it turned out the the old actuator was uggered anyway, so good job).

after a bit of puzzling i pulled back the flexi rubber cover for the boot loom and sure enough the wires had frayed over time.
i was pretty surprised by this as the car is a 2001 car, so not THAT old and it has been reasonably well cared for by previous owners.
anyway, long story short, i replaced and extended the broken sections in all the wires with the next thickest gauge to try and prevent future breakages and left the extended thicker part inside the rubber boot where all the "flexing" occurs.

it's a bit of a fiddly farty job to disconnect feed all the loom out of the bootlid, solder it allup and then put it back in again (wire coathangers are a handy tool here!), bt obviously it's worth it to have things working as they should again.

apologies; i did take some piccies when i did it, but i managed to lose my phone a couple of day after so i have consequently lost the pictures. it's a real straightforward job, just time consuming and annoying!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts