BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have a working combox and radio. No more using an Aux cord like a pleb in my former $98k car.

After getting some help tracking down where I could tap some Can high and low wires to run to the TCU it seems like it's all together. Fun fact the PDC module was the only area in the trunk that I could find with them, but at least didn't have to run wires back from the dash.

Now for the negative, because the MULF is gone the car is upset and throwing an SOS error every start up. After all the trouble I went through getting the CIC swap and combox going I don't want to trial and error my way through setting things the Nicht Aktiv or adding/removing things from the FA in case it might mess with the retrofit.

Does anyone know what I need to do to have the car not throw the warning on the dash?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the CIC w/ combox retrofit not long ago. I ended up disabling telematics and all errors were gone. Just add +TELD to your VO and default code the kombi. No need to run can wires to the combox at all. In fact the can wires may lead to other errors being reported.

See following bulletin under DEACTIVATION OF TELEMATICS.
You are certainly more of the M5 guru than I, I ended up following this repinning diagram which called for tapping the high/low can wires.

I'll give it a go changing the VO and resetting the Kombi

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Oh I used the same diagram lol... but it has a couple errors. Combox pins 7 and 15 both call for TCU wire 15 - can't. I forgot what goes where but just look up the TCU pinout and it'll be clear what should be connected where. Then ignore the CAN wires. Finally you only need to power the combox at pin 1 or 2, not both. My combox came with the connector and an inch of wire which showed how it was connected in the donor car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed there was some redundancy in the diagram but two other pinouts I found did not work at all even with the trial and error I had to do with this one. I've been messing around with this thing for a minute or two so I don't exactly recall, but I want to say I ended up needing to throw power at both pins 1 and 2, as only having one didn't work. I couldn't tell you why. As of now it's only throwing codes for the SOS and nothing else (seriously crosses fingers). My indy advised that I'd have to get it connected to the CAN bus so the car can know that the box exists which at least makes sense in theory to me, despite the E60's never having the option from factory. :unsure:

When I can get a minute to hook a computer up to it I'll try your solution. Really hoping it's that easy of a fix, as of now I don't think I've had a single project with the beast that went smoothly. I'm sure when I get ballsy enough to supercharge her it will be a walk in the park.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've done the CIC conversation while back, but ended up sticking with the cd changer->ipod->a2pd solution that mostly works. Mostly.

Curious how ignoring the CAN lines makes it work though - most OEM modules follow the wake-on-can paradigm and won't wake up unless they receive that can frame.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Answer is above. Look at combox pin 15 name.

Also this is connected to the MOST bus, so there's a command in there as well (like HD tuner module, nothing but power, antenna and MOST connection).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts