BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
HA, my wheels are only this clean because I got them professionally re-done with powder coat a few years ago, and I pull them off in the winter and run my other set.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I couldn't be more jealous. I'm a (or was) detailing freak and my wheels are hopeless. Time to get ceramic brake pads and never look at them again.
By the way what brake pads are you using? I barely see any brake dust.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
My new Blackstone Oil Analysis came in! Overall I am very pleased with this, given the interval since my last oil change. The only difference with the next report I will get is that I've changed from Rowe to Liqui-Moly. I will try to run this next sample around 7500 miles and see what happens. These reports are worth gold..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
HA HA why do you not like Castrol TWS? Post up your results here when you get em, I'd be very curious to see.. how many miles on your car and how long/how many miles have you driven it since owning it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have to ship the oil sample internationally, so it will take a little while for me to get back the results. Approximately 130K miles now. The oil I'm sending in only has about 600 miles I believe.
Castrol was.. heavy in simple terms like the liquimoly ones. Don't get me wrong, it is a good oil, but Shell is just better 🤣

The exhaust note is tad bid higher in the Shell, about the same oil consumption as with shell, and more POWERRRR from shell. LOL

I mean same spec oils (10W60, A3/B4, etc.) is really just as good as others. Which brand to use is really subjective. Shell is also about half the price as well lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great news on the oil report.

On the VANOS front, I think that might could be the reason. My vanos is still pretty loud even with Matt's tune (although much quieter than the shark whatever).
But just like you, I wouldn't pull apart the valve cover and everything to change my VANOS without a code. and I'm also broke because of the eventuri purchase lol
VANOS board maintenance/cleaning is pretty straight forward, doesn't involve pulling the valve covers and seems to solve a lot of peoples VANOS issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great news on the oil report.

VANOS board maintenance/cleaning is pretty straight forward, doesn't involve pulling the valve covers and seems to solve a lot of peoples VANOS issues.
Please enlighten me :)
I'm not really sure how VANOS maintenance works on the S62. I briefly remember switching out the S85 VANOS solenoids with some ease.
AFAIK, the s62 vanos solenoid is about $300? So I was really waiting until I could afford the whole re-built VANOS + labor.

Or is vanos maintenance just viton seal change kit that they sell on Dr.Vanos?
Because that would be lovely lovely lovely.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's basically solenoid cleaning while manually pulsing (do not use more than 9 volts), filter cage removal, solder joint strengthening and o-ring replacement.

Browse my thread starting here with the link to one of the maintenance threads on this site and continue on until my post on a very cheap alternative for used solenoids.
NO WAY!! ABS solenoids :)
Thanks for the great information. Might as well change all 8 solenoids if this is the case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would clean the solenoids you have and see where you get first, especially because you know they at least partially work. Since you would definitely want to clean any used unknown condition replacements, it could be less work to get yours back in shape.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Third times the charm.

Took me three times of micro adjusting the spline to get the wheel centered for some reason , I feel dumb. Perfect now! Went for some rips down the Highway after I got everything cleaned up I also replaced the fuel level sensor in the driver side fuel tank today as well and when I was done leather read the whole car and you some pristine clean after she’s so nice outside right now. I really love the feel of this wheel makes the car feel more sporty.
Thanks to a fellow form member for the coby Alcântara wheel!

Here is after I cleaned the interior a bit and got home from my drive..

One thing strange happened to me though in undoing the battery like 14 times, I happened to sheer off the stupid pinch bolt that holds the clamp together so I have a vice grip on there now and I’ve ordered a replacement part I guess it got cross threaded somehow…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
That must have been quite a lot of work. Nice looking wheel though :)

I just got my Blackstone UOA.
Definitely worth it.

The full name of the oil I used was Castrol Edge Titanium Supercar 10W-60.
The high silicon is probably due to the improper installation of the eventuri intakes as I forgot to tighten one of the hose clamps on the plenum and drove around for 1100 km.
Upon sending that out last month, my current oil is reaching 4000 km soon. As soon as they send me over a different oil sample plastic thingy, I will get another analysis to check if the silicon went down.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
That looks really really good actually, especially the lead being 0! Do go longer between changes to see how the results appear. Often times I have read that you get even better protection from your oil as it wears into the 7500 mile between changes mark. I'm also wondering if your lead reading was so low since you only went 1100km this oil change. Regardless you now have a baseline which is the most important part to start. Blackstone sent me like 8 of those sample containers at one time I have so many lying around!

Steering wheel install was actually very straight forward, there are no torx bolts like there were on my E46, or earlier model E39's, there is a slot on each side of the wheel you can stick a screwdriver into that touches the hard spring inside which you compress to remove the airbag. Air bag has 2 plugs with security clips, then you unplug two more connectors and can have at it with that 16mm bolt that holds the wheel on, that's basically it. The splines have a mark for centering, and that's where my issue was, I thought I had it dead on at first, went for a drive after putting it all back and reconnecting the battery, and it was tilted to the right. Came back home, readjusted what I thought was one notch, guess it was 2, same thing, and now tilted a wee bit to the left, last time was on point!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Another thing I finally decided to tackle was replacing my E brake boot. I had bought a new tri-stitch one from UUC on clearance for like $10 a while back but I had to glue it to the actual plastic frame so I was putting it off for a while.

Did the job yesterday and reinstalled. I think I need to move the inside zip tie piece back a bit mire to remove sine if the extra slack..

Excuse the temporary shine, I rubbed it down with leatherique before install to keep it nice and fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Last Friday, a buddy came over and I arranged my lift post columns Juuuuuuust so we could raise them and they would be more or less in their final spot. Fortunately, the lift posts will clear my ceiling! But by about 2-3 inches MAX, HA! Unfortunately, the damned brackets for my garage door are in the way of me ensuring I am at least 6 inches away from my concrete saw cut before I drill and bolt this to the concrete. Garage guy coming to move the brackets (I could do it, but it's 12 feet up on the ceiling, would need to move it to another stud, grind and cut the tracks, etc... rather let them do it so the garage door track is still perfect). Once that is done, I put the columns in place and start connecting the top beam, hydraulic line, safety cables, etc. Moving along slowly!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Well, today, I did something that I hadn't been able to do for over 2+ years with my car that left the ULTIMATE feeling of satisfaction!

I finally got one of my keys back from Scott Johnson at gm5repair and synced it to my car and immediately got it working! You have no idea how many times I have locked and unlocked my car via the door cylinder over the past 2+ years and how much troubleshooting I had done to even get to this point. I even cut the other key open and replaced the batter to no avail (think the lock button may have also had an issue that I did not fix while in there). May send that 2nd one back as well since it's only $50!!

Man that feeling of the car actually doing SOMETHING when I press the remote buttons is orgasmic.

Thank you Scott! Website as a reference for others.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad that you got it figured out.
I might be ordering new keys from the dealer for a better look. The current ones are dirty and shiny.
Did you change the housing?

281 - 300 of 301 Posts