BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I may need to re-do these and cut a little more plastic off the back end as I still think this would rub on the carbon fiber at least on the passenger side. Even though it's just rubber wires and glue from a glue gun (was I dumb to use this here? any chances of that glue melting in this application since it doesn't take much heat to melt it in the first place?) - they would still be rubbing the carbon clearcoat with any sort of vibration in there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think glue gun would be fine. But in the long term, you might be right. Glue gun might not be the best choice if it doesn't have like perfect adhesion. (Glue gun does come off smooth surfaces rather easily when its cold.)
Personally, I was thinking of soldering, cover it up with plastic weld or something similar as I don't really have glue gun, then put those cloth tapes over it. Those cloth tapings do have excellent adhesion.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
plastic weld or epoxy even better, either of those is a better choice than the glue gun I used.. come to think of it, pretty sure I have some epoxy laying around too.. hmmmmm. It's going to be "Baby the M5" time soon as I am in the process of trying to get a 2 post lift installed in my garage. Should be a fun adventure. If this can come to fruition, I have promised my car to put her up and start to give her the attention she deserves that she's been missing during the pandemic.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Grr.. I'm jealous now. a lift in the garage.
It's a shame I have to keep her garaged for 8 months a year and only get to drive for just over 4 months. Hate having a great second car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Potting epoxy would be the way to go since it's meant to dielectrically isolate. But, it would probably take quite a bit for the hot glue to be any issue.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
HA don't be so jealous. I daily drive this thing in all weather, unfortunately. However, Fortunately for me on the flip side, I've been working at home 100% of the time during the pandemic and am still doing that, so the car has been taking an extended nap over the winter and I only brought her out when my wife's car was not available to use and I absolutely had to, no choice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tell me about it. I drive this in the New York snow as well.. quite fun in an empty mall parking lot.
Love the side way action...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Reinstalled and working! Very close but just about the same as the stock hella bulbs.

I adjusted this nut on the housing and tried to move the housing back as far as I could which also helped a little.

Also changed my oil now running Liqui Moly 10W60, I think I had used Rowe last time.. captured my sample fir blackstone labs analysis, will be my first one to compare with the last reading..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not really sure of your mileage, but can't wait to see your oil analysis results! I just requested a kit myself after 128K~ miles.
Fingers crossed....

I will be tackling my angel eye thingy tomorrow. Let's see how that will end up.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Man I am blown away.... I searched this thread for my last and only blackstone oil analysis and found the post. It was from May 2019!!! How on earth did I not change my oil since May 2019??? Man I feel horrible, but at least I didn't go a super excessive mileage amount, my car still didn't tell me it was time to change it, but I knew it was. So right now I have about 106,700 which is around 9000 miles since my last oil change. The oil that came out was dark and a little amber, but still transluscent, so that was a good sign.

Had a horrifying moment installing new filter as the plastic tip was stuck inside my filter housing cap, and I couldn't tell since it appeared to be part of the filter, even though that piece was missing from the filter that I took off the car! I was super perplexed. When I tightened down the oil filter cap, it was a bit harder than normal, and I went a wee bit more and heard this CRACK! Man I thought I had cracked my oil filter housing cap! but it was that extra plastic piece stuck in the cap that cracked, thank god! I'll post up a pic soon...

If you do not have that plastic black tip on your old filter when removing it, is IS stuck in the cap. and it MUST be removed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How dare you not change your oil for 2 whole years! I change it every 2 hours :p:p

Well I have been using original tranny fluid for 20 years, so I got nothing to say..

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
9000 miles is fine. Not ideal, but nothing criminal.

Reactions: kei2927

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe just a small patch of clear PPF just to prevent any damage from movement or heat? Cheap insurance on expensive parts! Cant wait to install mine.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Here is what I did during an oil change yesterday. As I was waiting for the oil to drain completely, I tackled on this issue and did something very similar to what trizzuth did. I forgot to bring epoxy or anything else down to the shop and couldn't seal it, so that's that.
My mechanic wasn't too worried about it, yet he gave me some cloth taping to cover the gaps though.

(EDIT)
I was on my way to clean up the mess revealed by removing stock intakes. I move the intake a little bit and boop. the MAF decides to pop out.
Don't forget to tighten down those hose clamps people! I must have forgotten to do so about two weeks ago :eek:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Nice, glad you were able to make them fit. Please at your earliest convenience take those things back out and re-do it with some proper sealant. That cloth tape in that location will just sop up any moisture and you'll likely have issues. The easiest way I found to get at these bulbs with the intake installed, was to remove the 2 bolts and nuts that hold the metal intake surround together, then loosen the nut on the side where it's fixed (this nut was on the car to begin with, you're using the factory mount point here). Once the nut is loose, the intake can be pushed back just enough to get these bulbs out without issue.

Protective film on that part of the intake is not a bad idea.. but I think I am good as it's just rubber coated wiring that would rub if anything.

Just had a few days off from work, so I gave my M5 some love. Took my existing rears with Michelins Pilot Sport AS3's that were just beat to the tire shop and had my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS4's put on, as they have been sitting in my garage basically since the pandemic. All I can say is wow, even after only about 100 miles or so maybe, they are so freakin sticky it's nuts. Now I REALLY need to get my steering center link replaced so I can rip around corners like I want to without worry! Once my Pilot Sport AS3's up front are done, I'm getting PS4's for the front too now that I have a full Pirelli all season "winter" set.

Will post a few pics in a bit.

Also, Blackstone has received my oil sample, only a few days maybe a week before I hear back.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Prices have gone up, used to be around $25 for a dismount/mount/balance, around $50 ish for two wheels to get done, this time it was a bit more than $30 each total was $68.

Also put my bike rack back on and have already gone once into the woods with my son on the mountain bikes!

Proper tire fitment FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'd rather pay that at a good shop than have my wheels scratched.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
^^ Hell yeah, I completely agree! I've had a bad history of having that happen with my E46... now there are zero tire chain places that will touch tires you didn't buy there, so I finally found this place a in the same town I work in that handles loose tire mounting no problem. There are actually a pair of identical twins, SPITTING IMAGE and voice identical, like you would never ever be able to tell them apart. One of the twins was the guy who refinished these wheels in the first place for me, and his brother twin now runs the tire shop I go to. He used the tire shop when remounting my tired back onto the freshly refinished wheels, zero blemishes. I have gone to them about 5-6 various times with loose wheels and tires and zero damage each time. I fully trust them, even leaving my NLA style 65 rears sitting in their open garage while they prepare to do the work.

While I was in there, I heard a phone call come in.. this guy says something about a 295 tire or something in 22" size.. then he tells the customer "A Ferrari, right? - don't you normally only keep your cars for around 5 years or so?" I assume the guy was calling to get some tires replaced that were about 5 years old and maybe hadn't seen much mileage, and I was wondering if my tire guy was trying to convince him it's not worth the cost to replace the tires if he's just going to move the car along anyways. No clue how beat the tires were, but it was cool to listen in!

·
Registered
282 Posts
God your wheels are clean. I love the way my M5 looks, but the wheel is far from its glorious days. No shop over here would even touch the wheel lol

261 - 280 of 301 Posts