BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Bluebus installed in trunk, mounted up nice, I had to buy a Coax cable for the digital DSP as I did not have one going from my amp to CD changer, got that from Digikey for around $35 shipped. Also had to buy a used microphone as my car did not come with one, sourced a used one from ebay UK for $35 shipped, installed that as well. Had to increase the mic gain a lot in order for it to pick up my voice loud enough for the caller to hear me clear, but once I got that dialed in, it was working great! I can now make hands free calls in my 17 year old car, have Siri access on the steering wheel, have a constant coolant temp display on my nav screen, momentary blinkers!!!! and instant bluetooth digital audio playing from my phone when I get in the car. DANG SO FRESH.

Kinda mad cause I mostly like to listen to the sound of my engine and exhaust and now am distracted by this amazing technology! Will send a few pics in a minute.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Did you end up replacing your auxiliary water pump and do you still have the code? I get this code too, but I can make it run with DIS, so not sure if it's failing intermittently or what.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
ARgh, the first time I was getting that code, I ordered a used unit from Mishkin or Adam, from their threads, and when I did my cooling flush I replaced it, code went away. Then surprisingly after a long time, it came back recently, so I was perplexed, thought maybe the used unit had crapped the bed. I cleared that code and it did not come back since, but I have not checked my temp codes to see if it is still getting stored in there. Just as a note, I do not think I ever had any symptoms from this aux pump code, just the code, so I replaced it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Trizzuth,

I had just installed my eventuri intake yesterday.
I'm not sure if its placebo, but I think the car has a bit more power on the lower RPM range. 🤔 But I didn't drive it for too long because I was quite tired after installing them.

The thing is that I have the exact same problem as you. The umnitza ICE lite was rubbing against the eventuri intake on the driver's side. Did you happen to find any aftermarket ones that fit? Or are you still just using the OE bulbs for the angel eyes.

Also was your hoses a pain in the back to connect to the hose-holding bracket thingy :( man that was a pain..

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Hey Gabe,

I am actually still using my original halogen angel eye bulbs, but I did modify the housings of my LED ones so they would not stick out as far, I think it would still be very close so that is why I haven't got around to re-installing them as I still didn't want it to come anywhere near the gorgeous carbon fiber. I may try this again once it gets a bit warmer.

And yes, connecting those air ducts with that lame brackets was infuriating! I cannot fathom how they couldn't come up with a better method of securing those things, I tore the edges of one of mine trying to get it to sit right and eventually just said "that's good enough I guess" but in no way was it anywhere near perfect.

If you think it adds more power in the low RPM range, do some hard highway pulls from 2nd to 3rd or even better 3rd to 4th, the growl and sound this thing makes coupled with top end grunt that you can really feel at super high RPMs is there this intake's sweet spot is for me. I do notice that my car runs much smoother overall as well, so I'm assuming any twitchy or roughness from before was simply due to the restricted intake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thank god I wasn't the only one who thought the brackets were bad designs. They looked so different from the manual as well I almost thought that they shipped the wrong bracket with it.

I lost my INPA cable so I couldn't exactly reset adaptations until now so I didn't rev the engine above 3000. But still, that sound is pretty darn good.
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of tune do you have on your car? The weird throttle I have with the shark injector is somewhat annoying to say the least.
My focus on the car is comfortable ride and shark injector is not very good with "comfort".

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Good question...

I have no tune on my car right now. In fact, when I got the car in 2017, I used to always, always drive around with the Sport mode button pushed. After a while, I started realizing that the remapped throttle made the car super sensitive to any pedal pushing so if you happened to be on a bumpy road somewhere and the car was moving up and down, it often would translate into the pedal and make the car a little jumpy. The most annoying things for me however were that it sorta ruined the shifts for me, making them not as smooth and somewhat choppy and harder to get a perfect shift in sometimes. I've read that the shark injector can also do this to the car, and in fact, I've seen some dyno results that indicate that you actually lose power and torque with the shark tune on the car! So If I were you, I'd remove the shark injector tune, put it back to normal, and go for a drive with the sport button off.

My car would definitely benefit from a professional tune, or even an Alpha N tune I think due to the Eventuri intake, and my Rogue X pipe and Dinan rear exhaust, but as it is right now, it seems to be in that sweet spot for me of comfort, driveability, power and sound.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good question...

I have no tune on my car right now. In fact, when I got the car in 2017, I used to always, always drive around with the Sport mode button pushed. After a while, I started realizing that the remapped throttle made the car super sensitive to any pedal pushing so if you happened to be on a bumpy road somewhere and the car was moving up and down, it often would translate into the pedal and make the car a little jumpy. The most annoying things for me however were that it sorta ruined the shifts for me, making them not as smooth and somewhat choppy and harder to get a perfect shift in sometimes. I've read that the shark injector can also do this to the car, and in fact, I've seen some dyno results that indicate that you actually lose power and torque with the shark tune on the car! So If I were you, I'd remove the shark injector tune, put it back to normal, and go for a drive with the sport button off.

My car would definitely benefit from a professional tune, or even an Alpha N tune I think due to the Eventuri intake, and my Rogue X pipe and Dinan rear exhaust, but as it is right now, it seems to be in that sweet spot for me of comfort, driveability, power and sound.
Oh.. if I could just do something with the Secondary Air Flow code...
I'm surprised you are not getting the codes without any tune. Maybe I should try to just return it back to stock :/
If that doesn't work out, I would probably go the jailbreak route.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Ahh, I didn't know you were running the shark tune to get rid of the SAP codes. I have a 2003 M5, so I believe the Secondary air passages were widened a little bit on the later models, am hoping I never run into that issue, but if I did, a tune would be on my car pronto. I know they are expensive (I was once quote $600+) but a custom tune can give you all that you desire, code out the SAP error, and then account for your intake and maybe not make the throttle so jerky...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Here are some pics of the existing clearance using the stock hella halogen bulbs... like a few hairs of a gap!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
So mine is rubbing against the Eventuri intake. Not quite sure what to do :(
That clearance is quite small even with oem ones grrr

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Post up a pic of your LED bulbs and make sure to include the housing. If I could find mine I would post a pic so you can see how I modified it, essentially I believe that the issue was the wires were coming straight out the back of the bulb housing, making it immediately hit the intake, but there was an extra plastic piece I think I was able to remove, and maybe shave down some of the other housing so the wires could be bent at a 90 degree angle, getting them out of the way. I am pretty sure I got the LED bulbs ALMOST the same regarding clearance as the Hella's, but then I got distracted and never got back around to installing them. I will do this sometime soon as a test!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't driven it for a few days as it was raining over here and I didn't want my precious wax to wash away.
Took her for a drive today and here is the pic!

Its touching :/
I will be getting an oil change soon. I will have to modify mine then.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bummer on the intake..

I don't know if you would be able to do something similar but I addressed a clearance issue with a bulb housing before by soldering in wires from the side, grinding down the end and filling the plug with potting epoxy to seal it.

On the sport mode jerkiness, that's how my car was when I bought it. It had no codes for about 1000 miles until I got a B9 vanos code that would come back almost immediately after clearing. Vanos board maintenance and replacing 1 bad solenoid fixed the code and it was no longer jerky in sport mode. You could be in a spot where the vanos is lagging but not bad enough to throw a cel, like I was.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
I haven't driven it for a few days as it was raining over here and I didn't want my precious wax to wash away.
Took her for a drive today and here is the pic! View attachment 949743
Its touching :/
I will be getting an oil change soon. I will have to modify mine then.
Ahhh ok, I think we have the same LED bulbs then, and my fix should work for you! I need to dig deep and find them and take a pic for you soon. Essentially, I think I removed that round cap where the wires go into, and perhaps either there was like a "dummy plug there" where I just removed it and re-plugged it in, or I actually cut and soldered the wires to give me clearance. I need to go look, but with what I did I think it still may be a hair bit too close for my liking, or I never got a chance to reinstall them after the fix as I was letting some glue dry, etc. It wasn't a hard fix by any means.

Reactions: kei2927

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Good point on the vanos and sport mode jerkiness.. I have thought it was this all along, but as you note, I have no codes and didn't want to tear into my vanos without getting any codes yet..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Screw waiting. I found them! So you can kind of see what I did here, it does look like I cut and soldered the wires closer to the bulb and then used a glue gun to kind of cover up that solder joint. Looks like there’s about 1 1/2 inches of distance on the original Hella bulbs that you would need to match on the LEDs and I am so close but I don’t think good enough to really clear them especially on the passenger side...

·
Registered
196 Posts
ooh. Nice. That seems like a easy modification. Time for some soldering.
It's a heck of a relief for me to see you sort this out. I will tackle this probably this weekend... if I get my oils by tomorrow.

On the VANOS front, I think that might could be the reason. My vanos is still pretty loud even with Matt's tune (although much quieter than the shark whatever).
But just like you, I wouldn't pull apart the valve cover and everything to change my VANOS without a code. and I'm also broke because of the eventuri purchase lol

241 - 260 of 271 Posts