BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi.

I removed my trim this weekend. I decided to take a few pics and write some comments. Job took about 1.5 hour but should be no more than an hour with some guidance.

Feel free to ask questions or for clarification.

I will post a better version later and give appropriate credits for the pics I stole.

Cheers.

Ryan

Also, only real issues I had was I broke a few trim connectors in front door panels.

Trim Removal Document

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks for the doc....

really informative..

any chance we can get a shot of the back of the trim...
I am curious as of how the trim is mounted (i.e fastener, etc)/

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The little posts on the back of the trim look like screws. By this I mean they are posts with threads on them. The threads are what the clips grip against.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow, this is a great thread. I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to remove the climate control trim on my 2001 M5. Is that even possible? I tried prying around the edges but lost my courage when thoughts of cracked and scratched trim started racing through my mind

Basically, I want to remove just that bit of trim and perhaps lubricate the rear side of it, to reduce the creaking I now get when it expands with temp changes.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tim W said:
The little posts on the back of the trim look like screws. By this I mean they are posts with threads on them. The threads are what the clips grip against.
Thanks tim..

that helps a lot

Now I know exactly what you're talking about (threaded post).

The trim pieces on my MB also mounted the same way :)

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to document the process for us all! Are you removing your trim becasue you are changing it up?

Any chance for a group buy on trim? If there is a source for alternate trim designs I would love to see them listed out. Going through BMW is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ryan:

Thank You, will save many a crack or two.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jjc1843 said:
Ryan:

Thank You, will save many a crack or two.
NP.

I will write it up better later.

I am in the process of changing the trim...I had a trade lined up but it looks like it fell through so now I have a car with no trim.

:sad3:

I am debating the carbon wrap.

R

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Someone is reading my mind!!!! Or did this thread evolve again from my mental osmosis. On the way home from work today I began formulating my plans to remove the chrome trim on the 540iT wagon and replace it with factory black shadowline. I pretty much get the jist of it after looking at RealOEM but instructions are always nice. Didn't click the link yet but I assume it's still there.

Thanks almost 2 years later to the thread creator!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I need EXTERIOR. Darn. If I ever remove the center console though, this document will be helpful.

I bought my Dinan front stut bar from Ag02M5 last week.

Ha, funny.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
I read it :blabla:

Someone is reading my mind!!!! Or did this thread evolve again from my mental osmosis. On the way home from work today I began formulating my plans to remove the chrome trim on the 540iT wagon and replace it with factory black shadowline. I pretty much get the jist of it after looking at RealOEM but instructions are always nice. Didn't click the link yet but I assume it's still there.

Thanks almost 2 years later to the thread creator!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.