BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, again, I know.

While the car was getting painted the tint was redone. While the tint was being done the shiny black trim piece that sits on the cabin side of the hole that the shade retracts into broke loose. The body shop has had a heck of a time finding the part number to order another. I suggested taking the old piece that was sitting on the back seat and just reattaching it. Problem is the old piece got thrown out while the car was at the bod shop and now they are telling me a whole new door panel has to be ordered to get that one piece. Obviously I am not going to pay that bill, I don't think they will either! So, does anyone have experience with replacing that piece and can it be bought separately? I know, thread is worthless without pics, I will throw one up later when I am back by the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you could please post picture of the broken parts, I may be able to help. In my E39 the retract parts broke. I ended up finding the shade from E38 and use part from that.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just throwing this out there, did you check realoem to see if you could find which part it is? Thats where I always go first to find part numbers and to see if the part is even available.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. On my way to get the car now so will definitely put a picture up. And yep, realoem has been scoured but I haven't been able to find it, although I am not that proficient with the BMW methodology for finding parts. Perhaps once I throw a picture up it will help. Thanks,

·
Registered
272 Posts
They broke it they fix it simple as that, you didn't take it to them in that condition and I'm pretty sure if they were cautious and knew how it fit together it wouldn't have "Broke Loose". Also I scoured real oem as best as I could and also could not find a part number it looks like it only comes new as the whole panel.

Edit: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=51_2381&hg=51&fg=50 Is it the bottom of #1

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, back home.
This first pic is the right rear door. As you can see there is a missing piece of trim to the left of the shade where it retracts into the slot.
The second pic shows what the left rear door looks like with both pieces of trim in place.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, excellent tip about the fellow parting out the cars. I didn't realize that was going on. Looks like I need to spend more time on here!
As for making sure things are done right with the shop, no worries there. The tint guy (third party) is the one who in my eyes screwed the pooch. The body shop has been a huge help through this whole process. While I love that car to death and want it to be perfect, I know these little bumps happen along the way and in the end it will be perfect even if it isn't at the pace I would like it to happen.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a feeling it is one of the parts on this page... I just can't figure out placement though. It's either #2 or #3

RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 Door weatherstrip rear
Holy cow, I think you're right. I am gonna place an order Monday. It'll be pretty sweet if that is it. Can't wait to see the look on the face of the p%{*k at the dealership who said I had to order the whole panel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The missing piece is the high gloss shadowline finisher bonded to the doorcard upper section (which is a 'blind' doorcard). On the 'blind' cards, these finishers have a deep inner lip to help guide the blind onto its roller, they are different to the non blind versions.
This part is not available separately, a new doorcard will be required; which I imagine will be difficult to get in the same leather finish as yours (depends on bmw stock I suppose), unless you'll be lucky enough to source another card and swap the finisher over. The high gloss shadowline is rarer than the other finishes too, possibly m5 specific (others are matt shadow and aluminium/chrome).

Try asking around for another card but make sure it has the correct finish on the finisher.

It might be worth removing the rear cards as well, to check that the inner fixings/workings of the blinds are in one piece - their mounting brackets are easily cracked and damaged if not removed correctly and you might not know for a long time (and they're darned expensive bits).
Removing the 'blind' doorcards is a different job to removing the standard cards (remove: vertical bind, doorcard trim, additional screws behind vertical blind and two from behind trim, additional clips either end of main blind - take care with the forward upper clip - plus remove standard doorcard fixings). If your tint guy managed to remove the trim finisher then I suspect he didn't really know how to remove the cards, the finisher isn't touched and it should never have come off (it's bonded to the card)! I doubt there's many of these cards around so it might have been his first time removing one - he should have researched...

Could also be that the adhesive dried up and it virtually fell off!

There are a few good removal guides on the net for you to follow.
I know it's more work for you but as usual, you will get a better result and much faster if you to sort this out yourself I suspect. You'll take the upmost care with your own car, always!

All the best with it all, let us know how things go!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for those very informative posts. It's funny you mentioned the adhesive, you could see the old glue on the finisher, it definitely looked like it just fell off, there was no bend to the piece as if it had been pried off and the glue wasn't 'ripped'. I wish I had just told them to glue it back on there from the beginning. But then I wouldn't have learned all this great stuff!

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts