BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing Tri-Flo's new aftermarket exhaust (approx $1K). Has anybody installed the same, and if so are you happen with the sound, its looks and the horsepower increase?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have B&B Tri-Flo Exhaust that I purchased from Bavarian Auto. It has a really nice sound to it and weights a lot less than the stock exhaust. You will be happy with it.
Most people are not used to Hearing a BMW.
You will get lots of attention especially from Vettes, Mustangs and others.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How much louder is it from the Stock one? From inside and out.
I just got one right after I received my M5. I realized that what the car needs is a bit more sound in and out of the car. I hope the B&B has that and not too much.

Thanks

Originally posted by Miles S. Jacobs:
I have B&B Tri-Flo Exhaust that I purchased from Bavarian Auto. It has a really nice sound to it and weights a lot less than the stock exhaust. You will be happy with it.
Most people are not used to Hearing a BMW.
You will get lots of attention especially from Vettes, Mustangs and others.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Steve, were you driving near Durham around 1pm last Wed.? My brother saw an M5 and followed for a while, since he had never seen one in person before. He was in a black 996. From what he described, the M5 he saw was probably Carbonblack.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ken, it was not me in durham last wed. i live in raleigh and my M5 is jet black/silverstone.

·
Registered
412 Posts
steveB

B&B Triflo has a video with soundbites of their E39 exhaust on their website(bbtriflo.com/sounds.html). It sounds great - very deep. It definitely improves the ability to hear the real soul of this beast. I am thinking about buying it as well but would love to hear one in person.

John

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jlvink

i listened to the quicktime video and thought it sounded great. i have ordered the exhaust from bavarian motorworks and will let you know how it sounds.

steve b

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone know how much the installation of the Tri-Flo exhhaust system should be.

I called a performance shop today and they told me about $700.00 for installation.

Is this the going rate?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I don't live in the US anymore but I can tell you that it should not take more than an 60-90 minutes max. What is involved is cutting the existing pipe and sliding the new muffler assembly onto it and screwing the clamps. Better yet, call B&B and ask them.

Good luck

Originally posted by marlin:
Does anyone know how much the installation of the Tri-Flo exhhaust system should be.

I called a performance shop today and they told me about $700.00 for installation.

Is this the going rate?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just spoke with UUC and they think they may have their system ready in December. The system they sell for the M3 is the sweetest sounding thing I have heard in years.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark, do you have any info on the dinan cold air intake and what dinan is claiming regarding performance enhancement?

I am having the dinan software download done on friday.

Steve

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
10-20 hp gain. Supposedly all the work is done, they're just waiting on suppliers to finish first shipment. I've got my name on the list to get one first thing when they come in. Also going for the software upgrade.
Had a thought, wonder if they can set it so rev limiter works when in non-sport mode. Thus prevent relatives from inadverdantly blowing the engine.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
marlin, $700.00 to install an exhaust. thats ridiculous. just because the car is an m5 doesn't mean it should cost more to change the exhaust than any other car with a dual exhaust. especially since the car is new they might not have to cut anything. I would say it should cost $100 for about an hour or a little more of installation time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just had mine isntalled today and it did require to cut the original pipes but that wasn't time consuming at all. What took about 15 minutes each was tightening the brackets which were closest to the rear fenders of the car. Not much room to stick a wrench and tighten, especialy if you have big hands. The whole job took about an hour and a half.
As for the sound, it is deep and sweet when cruising at low RPM. What I like most now is the sound the mufflers make whe you get of the accelerator. You'll have to hear it I guess.

Originally posted by TurboPhoon55:
marlin, $700.00 to install an exhaust. thats ridiculous. just because the car is an m5 doesn't mean it should cost more to change the exhaust than any other car with a dual exhaust. especially since the car is new they might not have to cut anything. I would say it should cost $100 for about an hour or a little more of installation time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
10-20 hp gain. Supposedly all the work is done, they're just waiting on suppliers to finish first shipment. I've got my name on the list to get one first thing when they come in. Also going for the software upgrade.
Had a thought, wonder if they can set it so rev limiter works when in non-sport mode. Thus prevent relatives from inadverdantly blowing the engine.

Mark

Mark,

What did they quote you for the software and cold air intake mods?

Thanx,

BH

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got a quote today from a S. Fla performance shop to install the Tri-Flo exhaust. (Turbo Works)

$965.00 for the Tri-Flo Exhaust
$110.00 for the install.

I am going to consider doing this.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HK, in addition to liking the sound of the tri-flow exhaust, are you satisfied with the performance enhancements? any appreciable acceleration improvement?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts