BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhm. I was washing the car yesterday and I noticed some sticky/solid material on my hood. Most probably some tree sap. Problem is that it's in very small batches. I tried the ice suggestion from before but it didn't work. Any ideas? Goo-gone? I don't want to risk the paint. What abotu a clay-bar? Please bear in mind that I have the Jet Black color, so even the smallest abtrusion will show.

Thanks,
--Dan

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Here is how the ice worked for me - you need to hold a typ size refrig cube on there for at least one minute - you have to cool the metal below too in order to get the sap down low enough. Then the sap will be very brittle and chip off - takes some fingernail pressure. A fingernail won't scratch your paint beyond what a very simple polish will easily restore, if at all. Then use a solvent or goo-gone for the tiny amount that remains. If you try a chemical on the whole blob you'll smear it all over the place.

There are "bug and tree sap" remover products sold at automotive stores, too - same issue, though - get rid of the majority 1st if you can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts