BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;)There are 3 of us going about a thousand miles with golf clubs,etc in a few weeks and we are taking my '01...Any advice on tire pressures, or anything that I should be thinking of doing to the car before I go??..It is due for a Service I, but what else should I be thinking of..????

·
Registered
427 Posts
How is the weather around? I've heard that tire temperature depends on the road conditions.

As for anything else, make sure your radiator reservoir is at the right level, as well as check your engine oil and wiper/washer fluid. Oh yeah, you might as well check the brake fluid and brakes.

Other than that, enjoy...I've yet to take a long trip in the E39, I'm looking forward to it this summer :).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you on the jack and spare tire..however 3 sets of clubs, etc make it a show stopper..there just isn't enough room. Im thinking a litre of oil, fluids all good and go. I really was wondering about tire pressures..Should they be cranked up a bit for the extra weight?

·
Registered
132 Posts
unless I'm mistaken the owners manual gives pressures for laden and unladen. Just follow those and you can't go far wrong.

HTH

·
Registered
473 Posts
Depending on your consumption rate, you could go through a couple quarts of oil and it is very difficult to find unless you get it from a dealer. I would top it off and throw two quarts in the back. Everything else with the exception of a flat tire is maintainable as you travel.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Increase the tire pressure for the added weight and (presumably) higher speeds.

Other than that, just check your oil and other fluids. depending on your oil it may be easy or hard to find - I use Mobil1 which isn't hard to find, but if you use TWS it might be. In either case, check it at every fill-up, especially the first one.

My 2 cents - pack an emergency box. Pliers, screwdrivers, flares, etc. Don't want some moron rear-ending you while you are waiting for the tow truck and your spare :)

d-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I always up the tire pressure for longer (read faster with more load) trips by 3 pounds.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to all for the thoughts. Im really looking forward to the travelling in the car. We are going to the Masters in Augusta. Its going to be an all around good time..Again, you guys/gals on this board are the absolute best..S

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Might want to bring some BMW anti-freeze with you as well. Long trips do require a top-off here and there. I also do recommend the spare tire option that Icon suggested, However I understand that your space limits it. Just food for thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts